FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Ops Syndicate Review - pros and cons

Post Date: 2012-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
josh134 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Black Ops Syndicate Review - pros and cons
    Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:07am
After waiting almost a month for the 3930 mobo to re-stock, I finally received my DS machine.  I am very pleased about certain aspects of my rig, and disappointed about others.  This review will cover all issues, pros and cons, to date.

To start, here is my build:

Chassis Model: Black OPS Syndicate
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX)
Hard Drive Set 1: (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port
Video Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz

The overclock came to 4.5GHz with a V-core of 1.38.

Now on to the review

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:08am
The arrival:

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:11am
Once I hooked up the machine, there were, unfortunately, three major problems:

(1) the three fans on the top and two on the back were not the upgraded cooler master R4's with blue LED lighting.  They were the standard fans.  DS dropped the ball on this one, and will be shipping out to me 5 performance fans for replacement.

Here are some pics showing the incorrect fans:

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:14am
The second issue with the computer is the fact that once turned on, the system only recognized the 160GB SSD drive, and did not recognize the 1TB data drive.  Upon investigation and with the help of DS technical support it was discovered that the SATA cable going into the data drive had broken off from the metal clip that is used to release the cable form the drive.  the metal clip was still hanging out of the hard drive. I believe that when the insulation material was stuffed inside the chassis, the person installing same may have accidentally caused the break.  I don't think this is something that would happen during shipping - but who knows.  Here is a pic showing the broken white tip of the SATA cable:

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:17am
The third problem is that there appeared to be bubbling along the inside right plexi glass panel and top panel.  Upon inspection, it was determined that the bubbling was actually water from the LC system.  The water was on both panels and there was water sitting on top of the water reservoir.  I wiped these down and tech support had me tighten the top of the reservoir which will hopefully resolve the issue.  Here are pics of the water on the panels:

surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:18am
FED EX sure did a number on your shipping carton. Gouged pretty good in that one corner. Hope your computer came out damage free from that abuse!  FED EX strikes again. Mines intransit right now with FED EX. I got my fingers crossed.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:20am
DS is sending me a new hard drive for replacement which will hopefully resolve the data drive issue.  Other than these hiccups, I think the machine looks great.  I have run a few games on the SSD drive and they are smoking fast.  The 30" dell monitor is running at 2500x1600 resolution and looks gorgeous.  Here are some pics showing the wonderful configuration:

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:30am
Congrats on your new system Awesome
Does look like FedEx drop - kicked it a couple of times.

Looks great.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Feb 2012 at 9:31am
chasblock View Drop Down

Quote chasblock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:35am
Do you have to contact the local electric power company to amp up their production before you turn that thing on?

Nice rig!
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by bprat22

Congrats on your new system Awesome
Does look like FedEx drop - kicked it a couple of times.

Looks great.Big%20Smile

Thanks! Despite the few resolvable issues, I am very pleased.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by chasblock

Do you have to contact the local electric power company to amp up their production before you turn that thing on?Nice rig!

This thing can run a small City :)
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:47am
Yeah it does look like FedEx beat the hell out of that box and that can definitely cause the issues with the HDD and LC so it's hard to blame DS for that.

The issues with the fans those is an oversight on your part. The configuration system specifically says the fan upgrade only includes up to 6 fans. You can clearly see all 6 fans in front were upgraded so that would be the extent of the fan upgrade you paid for.

The only exception would be if you called them during or after you placed your order and paid them extra for the additional 5 fans, top and rear, to be upgraded too. I did not see anything noted here that you did that, only that you were upset that not all the fans were upgraded. But again the fan upgrade only covers 6 fans.

Edited by jmaster299 - 23 Feb 2012 at 10:48am

Omicron View Drop Down

Quote Omicron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:51am
Looks like an amazing machine. Sorry about your issues that either shipping or packing caused, but glad they seem to be able to be resolved. I should be getting mine tomorrow if the tracking is correct. Your post has given me insight on what to look for. Again sorry got your issues. But thanks for posting them. Your machine is a beast good luck with it.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:59am
Originally posted by jmaster299

Yeah it does look like FedEx beat the hell out of that box and that can definitely cause the issues with the HDD and LC so it's hard to blame DS for that. The issues with the fans those is an oversight on your part. The configuration system specifically says the fan upgrade only includes up to 6 fans. You can clearly see all 6 fans in front were upgraded so that would be the extent of the fan upgrade you paid for. The only exception would be if you called them during or after you placed your order and paid them extra for the additional 5 fans, top and rear, to be upgraded too. I did not see anything noted here that you did that, only that you were upset that not all the fans were upgraded. But again the fan upgrade only covers 6 fans.

Hi JM! The special order for the ADDITIONAL high performance fans was done telephonically. I paid for up to 12 fan replacements.  DS has fully acknowledged its error and is shipping to me replacement fans.

One thing I want to emphasize is that DS has been excellent in dealing with these issues. They are incredibly responsive and very concerned that everything is resolved. They have exceeded my expectations thus far in the technical support department.

Edited by josh134 - 23 Feb 2012 at 11:09am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:07am

@josh134,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for taking pictures. Your system was definitely thrown around pretty hard by Fedex. I'm glad that you were able to speak to our team and get things ironed out.

In summary, it looks like the issues you had were the LED fans and the shipping abuse on your system.

On a good note, you don't need to worry, as you're our valued customer and our goal is to ensure you are happy with your system. We'll do our best to take care of you.

LED Fans:
I reviewed your invoice and there may have been a misunderstanding, as the team did install six LED fans, but, I understand that you requested additional fans. I'm glad that we have sent this out now.

SATA connector:
I would find it hard to see the internal foam break the connector, as it's really soft and expands slowly. It could be the shocks from shipping which could have caused the hard drive cage to bounce and hit the bottom of the chassis which broke the connector.

Fluid:
I've seen a reserver/barbs/etc cause a leak if they are stressed enough to one side. I hope that you were able to resolve this issue, if the leaking still occurs, or if there is any other issue, we'll definitely take care of you.
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:13am
Thanks Alex.  No worries on the LED lighting.  There were a lot of changes made after the initial order was placed, so I understand the confusion.  Will it be simple to replace the fans with the new ones once I receive them?

I have no idea what actually caused the SATA connector to break, and your suggestion about shipping shocks makes sense.  I am hoping that replacing the hard drive will be fairly easy.

The fluid issue is hopefully resolved now.  I was a little scared at first when I saw water leaking on the inside of the chassis.  Hopefully this is a non-issue moving forward.

Thanks again for your assistance in resolving these issues.

Josh   
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:15am
You're most welcome. Thank you as well for working with our team to address the issues.

It should be fairly simple to replace the fans, especially since it does not look like you have any radiators mounted to them.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:16am
Well yeah if you paid them for all the fans that's a different story and that's on them. 

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 12:59pm
Congrats! Excited

I'm glad you are getting all the bugs worked out (and getting the right fans), looks like Fedex did a number on it. Once its all said and done though, you're going to love your beast!

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 1:08pm
Let us know how that case handles the temps on the GPUs. With all those fans I am curious to know how it does.

josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 8:03am
Update:

So after waiting another week, I finally received the cooler master replacement fans, ans a replacement hard drive.  However, DS forgot to include a new Sata 6 cable to replace the one which was broken and which had been previously discussed for hours with DS technical support.  Instead of overnighting me the cable, they "encouraged" me to go to Best Buy.  So my adventure continued into the evening last night going to two Best Buys and a CompUSA, none of whom had the correct cable.  Now I have to go to TigerDirect to look for the cable today.  Not really what I wanted to end up doing to get my 5k+ rig in working order.

As to the fans, the cooler master R4's arrived, but the connectors were not long enough (the connectors on the default fans were very long).  One would think DS would realize that I needed extenders for these fans.  The good thing is that I found these at CompUsa and was able to install the cooler masters. 

Edited by josh134 - 02 Mar 2012 at 8:05am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 8:22am
Bumpy start to say the least.Cry

Hopefully, this is it and you can enjoy the rig.Big%20Smile
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:04am
I hope DS is going to be compensating you in some form for the SATA cable? Confused This is of course assuming they did not in fact end up shipping one out. 

Edited by Tidgxor - 02 Mar 2012 at 11:05am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:08am

Sorry to hear about that, if you haven't ordered the cable yet, email me today and we'll overnight you a cable and some extenders so you have them this Saturday. I'll also look into how we forgot the SATA cable. Oops

Edited by Alex - 02 Mar 2012 at 11:10am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:45am
@josh134,

Thanks for the quick reply. I reviewed the order and it looks like Robert forgot to include the replacement SATA cable in the shipping request, I'm not sure why, perhaps it was an oversight or he may have thought you had extras in your accessories box?

Nevertheless, we'll get the items to you today via Overnight and with Saturday delivery.

Big%20Smile
josh134 View Drop Down

Quote josh134 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 4:58pm
Thanks Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply