FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chassis Fan Installation

Post Date: 2015-06-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thomas_NNY View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thomas_NNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Chassis Fan Installation
    Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:46pm
I recently purchased 4 new chassis fans.  I neglected to check the number of fan connectors on my motherboard, and am only able to utilize 2 of them currently.  My question is, what would be the most effective and safe way to utilize the two unused fans?  Options I am aware of are using 2 3-pin y-splitter adapters to attach two fans each to two of the connectors, or using a molex to 3-pin y-splitter to draw directly from the PSU.  I'm not concerned about power usage or noise, and I'm fine with them running constantly and without being able to track their speeds.  My current fans are 1 120mm fan utilized by the liquid cooling to cool the CPU, 1 40mm fan seated on the northbridge, and 3 120mm chassis fans - 2 bringing air in, 1 pushing air out.  Temps are excellent when idling (mid 30s) and usually reasonable to good under load (40s-60s).  A couple really intensive games (Witcher III comes to mind) and they'll hit the high 70s.  I'm also planning to upgrade to the GTX 960 graphics card in short order.  My configuration is 492376. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:44am
If you don't care about fan control I'd connect them to the 4pin Molex psu connector.    You could double up the fans per mobo fan header, but less draw on the mobo when directly to the psu.

Do you need all those fans? Whoa    Your temps are good.  Just saying. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Jun 2015 at 8:09am
Thomas_NNY View Drop Down

Quote Thomas_NNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 8:46pm
The temps are generally good.  But if I can keep them down to low 70s or better by spending $5-$10 on a cord, I feel it's worth it.  Using The Witcher 3 as an example, I'm running it on low settings right now, since that's all my graphics card can handle.  If I run it at full settings when I upgrade, isn't that likely to raise the temps a bit?  If not, then it really wouldn't be necessary.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 1:54am
Witcher 3 will cause the GPU to sweat a bit... but with an aggressive fan curve, I can keep my temps in the mid 70s on the GTX 770. I took bprat's advice and am using EVGA X-16? (Not sure on the name now, not near the machine.. bprat can tell you more.)

I am running the game on GeForce optimized specs... Ultra and high.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 2:42am
Just to add to Snaike's info, you can use MSI AFTERBURNER or EVGA PRECISION to custom your card's fan curve.   Manufacturers tend to keep the fans on the graphics card on lower settings because of the added noise as they crank up, then up the speed when needed. You can change it. My fan curve , gtx 570, was 1 to 1, meaning 50% at 50c, 60% at 60, etc.

Thats for last generations cards.   If you go with a Asus gtx 970 or 960 Strix or EVGA 2.0 cards, the fans stay off until about 60C.   I'm now running a MSI Gaming 4g gtx 970 that has 0 rpm until 60c and then turns on the fans.    With Witcher 3 on Ultra the fans go off and on and the card stays in the 60's under load.   Plus, no noise even when on.

I don't think you'll need the fans with an upgrade to any of those cards.    I'd see if you need the fans first.

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jun 2015 at 2:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply