FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coil whine on new Vanquish 3 level 3?

Post Date: 2015-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ninonocae View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ninonocae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Coil whine on new Vanquish 3 level 3?
    Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 7:25am
Hi!

I've been playing on my Vanquish 3 level 3 since last week when I got it, and I've noticed something. Whenever I play some games (I've really only noticed it when playing Elder Scrolls online and when loading in Sims 3), I hear a high pitch noise. I looked online and saw that it could be something called coil whine and it does seem to be coming from the graphics card when I get real close while it's making the noise. I've got 2 questions:

1) Is it harming my card?
2) Is there any way to stop it?

As I said, it's not terribly loud, just a bit annoying to hear. If it's a necessary evil then I can deal with it, but just wanted to make sure. It's not happening all the time, so if it's something that can't be helped I can live with it, just wanted to exhaust my sources.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 7:48am
Unfortunately, it is a common complaint across a lot of video cards.   The mobo and psu can also cause coil whine, but in recent years most of that has been addressed. 

The coil whine won't hurt anything and if it is loud enough you can usually get a replacement.  No guarantees the new part is any better. 

Some have turned on VSync to limit the cause and some say they've had luck stressing the hell out of the card for a longer period of time to burn-in the cause so to speak.   Some haven't had any luck either way.   A crap-shoot. Big%20Smile
Ninonocae View Drop Down

Quote Ninonocae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 7:53am
Well, I suppose I should feel lucky as I've read that it generally doesn't get worse, and the demonstrations I've seen on youtube make my coil whine feel like a lullaby (Mine's not making a grinding noise and can actually for the most part be ignored). I guess my biggest worry was if it was harming hte card because when I hear a whining noise I tend to think "Grinding", but from what I've read from other sites that's not the case for this. The LOUDEST that it gets is when I'm loading up Sims 3.

You mentioned VSync, that's from within game, right?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 7:59am
You can do it from within a lot of games or go to Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, scroll down to Adaptive VSync and change it with the drop down.  Global does it for all and Progran Settings tab does it for individual programs.  
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 6:19pm
easiest way to avoid gpu coil whine is to stay away from reference (and rebranded reference designs) cards, they use cheaper chokes.  make sure the "custom" cards that you buy do in fact use high end components in their construction and are well-reviewed. 

and no, coil whine doesn't negatively impact the performance/life of the product.

Edited by db188 - 30 Sep 2015 at 6:30pm
Razorback View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Razorback Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 7:38pm
My 970 whines. Not a big deal. NO harm being done.
Intel Core i7 6700k 4.5 GHz (OC)
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
16GB DDR4 3200 MHz
120GB Samsung 840 EVO
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
 Post Reply Post Reply