FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling Q

Post Date: 2017-01-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Varl View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Varl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooling Q
    Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 4:40pm
My first post on these forums. I just purchased an Apollo with the Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance),and I was curious about ambient room temperature. It looks like the CPU will be fine, but I have a question about the remaining hardware.

It gets quite cold up here where I live, and has been for quite some time, so I'm curious how warm would be too warm for this machine? I'm not sure, but I suspect my last desktop MB failed due to room temperature, which I try and keep at 70F or lower. I'm concerned that since I didn't purchase a system with full water cooling that it might sustain damage if the ambient room temperature ever peaks higher than 70-75F. I'm hoping the chassis fans will be sufficient.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 4:57pm
Hi Varl... doubtful your motherboard failed because of temps. Those temps you mentioned are perfectly fine.   I have gamed in the mid 80's for days and longer with no issue.   The Apollo chassis fans will keep the case circulation across the mobo and to the graphics card in good shape.    

The h115i will kick the CPU heat out the top by way of the rad and its fans.   

Should be good to go.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 3:09am
We also have high 70s low 80s (mostly) and no issues. When playing, the room does get warmer.Hahaha (cpu stays at 45-47C max, 42F at idle w/hydrolux pro)
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:50am
The last place I lived at had a small second bedroom that wasn't well heated. We turned it into an office and Mr. Bojangles kept the room warm while we were in there. Big%20Smile

And yeah, many would consider 70-75F well below any ambient temperature threshold.
Varl View Drop Down

Quote Varl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:00am
Thanks! Good to hear that taking the chill off my room won't chill my Apollo when it arrives and is up and running. :-)

One other Q and I think I'm good: My old desktop had a WD 1tb HDD with most of my info on it. I removed it and am wanting to add it to the Apollo when it arrives so I can get all my files back and re-initialize anything I need to. What would it take to integrate it into my system? Will adding it cause any issues to how DS set it up? I could always take it to a computer store and have them pull all the data off of it for me, but since the drive is in perfect shape still, I'd rather simply use it again by slaving it to the system as Drive E or something. Thoughts? Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:05am
No problem, just plug the WD into your new Apollo and it'll be seen as a data drive.   If this was your OS drive, then it won't be now, just a secondary.   

Have fun.
Varl View Drop Down

Quote Varl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 5:55pm
One thing just occurred to me, bprat22. That Western Digital HDD I want to plug in as a third drive has my old Win7 Home OS on it. How will Windows 10 in my new Apollo react to seeing Win7 Home when I plug it in? Will it allow me time to disable it and then remove 7? Can I set it up as a dual boot, for at least long enough to retrieve and transfer all my data over to my new HDD? Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 2:33am
Plugging in your old HDD with Windows 7 on it will be just seen as a data drive.   The system knows enough to realize the other drive is your Windows 10 boot drive and ignore the Windows 7 .    Only if you unplug the Win10 drive and boot to the old drive will Windows re-designate the drives.

Have fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply