FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Critique my gaming desktop build

Post Date: 2016-10-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Code View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Code Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Critique my gaming desktop build
    Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:43pm
Expectations & usage: I'd like to have a reliable gaming rig that will last me for a while. I'd like to run today's games with the best graphic settings and frame rate possible for my budget. I'll occasionally do some design work with Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. I currently have two 1920x1080 monitors, and may upgrade to a set of 2560x1440 or a single 4k in the future. I only game with one monitor at a time.

Budget: I'd like to be around $3k. I could go a little higher if an upgrade is a good value.

Special snowflake needs: I'd prefer one fast HD instead of a primary fast drive and a secondary data dump drive. I don't store a ton of large files like video or anything, so 1TB should be plenty for my needs.

My attempt: 1502369

Any suggestions or tweaks? Is the Velox the right place for me to start, or should I consider the Apollo or something else? Thanks for your time!

valod View Drop Down

Quote valod Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:18pm
i would add a Samsung 950 pro (although the 960 is coming soon ) to boot os and maybe a hydrolux pro for looks ( if your into looks )
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:55pm
Well we need to first figure out what it is you want game on at max settings, is it 1080p, or 1440p or 4k? each have a different need and if you want to get the best bang for your buck then I need to know the res you want to power.

At 1080p a 1070 is more than enough, at 4k you need sli 1080, or single titan on LC oced high, or sli titan. As you can see there is a big price difference between those.

Now don't be discouraged there are ways around that but basically what I need to know is:

1. when are you plaining on going from 1080p to higher res.

2. when you do go up in res which is gonna be? 1440p or 4k? keep in mind there are gonna be lot of 4k monitors out soon, I'm calling 2017 year of 4K.

Also for adobe and etc you may want to look at a 6 core or higher processor, they have use for the extra cores, but the down fall is that its the old tech vs the new tech of z190 (skylake) and probably cost more. Just something to think about.

Your own config needs some changes. let me know your situation and we will fix all of that.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Oct 2016 at 12:05am
Code View Drop Down

Quote Code Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 1:38pm
Thanks for the responses!

Unless the price of 4k monitors really changes, I'd probably go to 1440. From what I hear about SLI setups, I'd rather shy away - I don't want to have to fiddle with and manage issues. I'd like this setup to just work: if that means I have to turn settings down a bit, so be it.

Even if I do get a 4k in the next year or so, I'm okay with turning down settings a little to gain reliability and simplicity.

I'm not worried about the Adobe side; I have a 4-5 year old mid-grade Alienware with a GTX660 now and it works just fine.

Edited by Code - 11 Oct 2016 at 1:40pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 10:28pm
I was referring to the cpu with adobe but if you are happy with what you have as far as adobe goes, then the z170 build will blow what you have away so we are good there.

Ok so some of your parts are changed due to better performance / reliability. For 1440p a 1070 will do great on ultra high settings, but what I did was config a system that has one 1080 now (this will kill at 1440p, its actually overkill) and then if you go 4k and you want highest settings, all you do is drop in another 1080 to go sli if needed, basically with this system you are not sli 1080 but you have the option to do so via just getting another 1080.

If you are 100% sure you don't want sli now or if you get 4K, let me know I want to run a different idea by you then.

so here is the sli option:

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

tell me what you think
Code View Drop Down

Quote Code Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 5:33am
Thanks again for all the help.

I noticed you swapped the HD to the (presumably) faster SSD, but 500GB. It's a shame they don't offer a 1TB option in the faster drive.

I have seen from some of your other posts that liquid cooling can require some maintenance and tinkering. Is that not applicable for the "fully sealed" system I have specced out? Would I be better off with the air cooled option?

What about upgrading the case fans, worth it or are the standard set pretty good?

I'd be curious to hear what your other thought was. I probably won't do SLI, but I may do 4k at some point...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 5:55am
The new 960 pro will have much bigger sizes, but they are not out yet.

They don't offer a good air option anymore, so the next best thing for closed loop is the one I picked for you. the closed or sealed aio systems need no maintain ace but they also don't offer real LC performance.

Upgrading case fans would be good but in this case teh h115i will go on the top of the case I think and the front has the fans already so there is no where to add fans, ask DS to install your h115i on the top.

The other ideas would be going with a 1070 now and then upgrading to a 1080ti in the future when you go 4k. More expensive but single card.

Code View Drop Down

Quote Code Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:36am
Thanks. It sounds like the 960 is due out sometime this month. Maybe I'll sit tight for a couple of weeks. It looks like the upgraded Corsair fans cost about $100 bucks. Probably worth it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:24pm
My pleasure and good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply