Post Date: 2016-12-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: December 7th
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:27am
Please indulge me. After some conversations with some that are referred to as "Millennials" this morning, I feel a need to post this speech by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the Senate, and of the House of Representatives:

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941 -- a date which will live in infamy -- the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. And while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

And this morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense. But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7th, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire."
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 9:19am
Nice job, Snaike.  Strong

Certainly this is a day to reflect on.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:33am
Originally posted by bprat22

Nice job, Snaike.  Strong

Certainly this is a day to reflect on.   

Agreed on both counts.

Strong
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 10:50am
I was almot seven years old when President Roosevelt made his great speech over the radio. I remember the whole family gathered around the radio listening to the speech. I have always remembered the part when the President says: "...this day will go down in Infamy" with a strong voice. As a youngster I remember the seriousness of my family. My three Uncles who were just out of high school all joined up the following week. One in the Marine core, one in the Army and one in the Air Force. Only two returned from the war.

Frank     
Rugbydoc View Drop Down

Quote Rugbydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 1:10pm
Well stated. Thank you, sir.
i7 6700 3.4GHz
ASUS/GIGABYTE z170
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
750W EVGA/Corsair
1x SSD (240GB DS Performance Series)
1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)
1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 2:28pm
So true then as today. We live in a free society because of the sacrifice of many. Today's generation have been disconnected from such sacrifices and unity of purpose and unfortunately believe that our freedoms are a given. The world is a much better place because we WON that war. Thank you Snaike.

Edited by hoserator - 07 Dec 2016 at 2:38pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by hoserator

So true then as today. We live in a free society because of the sacrifice of many. Today's generation have been disconnected from such sacrifices and unity of purpose and unfortunately believe that our freedoms are a given. The world is a much better place because we WON that war. Thank you Snaike.

Freedom isn't free. Sadly, like you stated, so many people today take for granted what many fought and died for. Thank you and God bless all the brave men and women who defended our great country on this infamous day 75 years ago.
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
 Post Reply Post Reply