FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dreadnought: HAF-X / 780 Ti... Gaming Greatness!

Post Date: 2014-01-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dreadnought: HAF-X / 780 Ti... Gaming Greatness!
    Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 7:32am

Ordered: November 2013

Case: Cooler Master HAF X
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Overclocked to 4.2GHz
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray/DVD-R/CD-R
Storage 1: 256GB Solid State Drive (Samsung 840 Pro)
Storage 2: 4TB Western Digital Black
Storage 3: 2TB Western Digital Black
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB EVGA Superclocked with ACX Cooling
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1
Internal Lighting: LED strips with remote control
Op. System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Cost: $3700

I was going to order this and get a 780 but then the 780 Ti was announced so I held out until it was available and off we went. I actually special ordered the card, but it as my system was being built Digital Storm started stocking it and were kind enough to refund me the special order fee. Soon after I ordered the build someone on the forum encouraged me to get the remote LED lighting option so I made a change. All emails and communications were answered promptly throughout the process. Overall I think it was about 18 days from ordering until I received the system. Top marks there for speed and service.

So the machine...I'm not highly technically, so I'll use simple terms - it's AWESOME! I came from using a laptop so obviously it was going to be a huge improvement in speed and performance..but WOW.. I'm now in a world of gaming bliss! With the SSD it boots up from cold and is ready to go in about 25 secs. Games load near instantly... bonus of this playing Battlefield is I'm usually first spawned into a map and get first pick on vehicles! All round speed and performance is amazing. I'm no benchmarker but I tried out 3Dmark and the results put me in the top 10% (don't have the score to hand right now).

I have dual monitors. One for gaming and one for anything else, like the Battlefield Battlescreen (big map), or hardware monitoring utilties, etc.

The 780 Ti graphics card handles anything I've thrown at it with ease. This includes Battlefield 3 and 4, Metro 2033 and Last Light. Playing Battlefield on all Ultra settings gets around 100 FPS. Turn down some of the ambient occlusion/anti aliasing/etc and FPS shoots through the roof. I'm seeing things in the game that just weren't there in my old laptop life of all Low settings and 35ish FPS. My in-game performance took and instant turn for the better. Sure, hardware doesn't make the player, but it sure plays its part. No matter what i've thrown at the graphics card it has not went above 73C. I'll probably install EVGA Precision X soon and give it a bit of an overclock... not that it really needs it.

I have done some game recording using Shadowplay and edited and rendered out a few videos. I don't know any numbers...I'm not too technical, but I can say it edits with ease and renders out fast and with no issues.

I take a lot of photos and videos from my adventure/mountaineering trips so I wanted a lot of storage. The 4TB hard drive will store these in addition to my day to day files.

The 2TB hard drive is for game installations and game recording.

The 256GB SSD stores operating system, programs and any game of the moment I want to benefit from the load speeds (eg Battlefield 4)

In the future I'll probably add a second 780 Ti (when the price drops) to better prepare myself for 4K gaming. One of those 4K Gsync monitors perhaps....

Alright...it's time to overdose on pictures.....

The package arrived in 5 days. I wasn’t going to be at home on the delivery day so I had it held at my local FedEx office. When I collected it, it was evident the box wasn’t going to fit in the car. Not in the front, back, or the trunk. In the end I opened the box and laid the packaging in the trunk and the machine sat on it just fine and was secure.

Unfortunately I couldn’t go right home and fire it up, instead having to return to work. At least I could read the paperwork/manuals instead of working!

I added air filters to all intakes (http://www.demcifilter.com/). These aren't necessary and I keep the house clean but in my circumstances that include pets, dusty log fire, and dusty gravel road I decided it was a worthwhile option to get a set of custom sized air filters for the machine.

Side of case with air filter over intake fan

LED lighting
www.youtube.com/embed/6nb98_Lt9jA

Remote control

Front fan (with cover temporarily removed so I could fit filter)

Game time :)
www.youtube.com/fjFJwef2QGM

Set up

Most important part of all…the legendary free t-shirt

Not enough pics for you? Full set of 100+ pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/highlandsc/sets/72157639356586556/

=======================================================
Update: February 2013
I have added a backplate to my 780 Ti graphics card. Not totally necessary but some discussion with others made me aware of the potential for these big heavy graphics cards to sag a little over time. A backplate can help prevent this and has the added bonus of looking cool and also helping the card keep a few degrees cooler. Not a bad investment for $20.
Here's some before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 05 Feb 2014 at 8:54am
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 8:21am
Sweet review and congrats on one awesome rig!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 8:22am
awesome review
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 8:48am
Dynamite Rig. Awesome

Great job with the pics, etc.      ENJOY. Strong
TJS14 View Drop Down

Quote TJS14 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 4:49am
Congrats!

Looks awesome. Definitely drool worthy

Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 8:04am
Just a little update to this, as I'll do if I change anything.... I've ordered a backplate for the 780 Ti graphics card.

Not completely neccessary but folks were talking about them on twitter and there's definitely lots of cases out there of cards sagging due to the weight of everything. I know it doesn't happen frequently or often but I figure $20 is a good investment to prevent it and have the added bonus of making the card look even better and keeping it a fraction cooler. I'll put up a pic of it installed when it's done.
EVGA GTX 780 Ti Backplate

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 28 Jan 2014 at 8:04am
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
Tanker201 View Drop Down

Quote Tanker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 8:20am
GOD, I can't wait until I get my Haf X rig, that case looks so well.....Bad*ss. Nice setup and rig btw. Love that monitor setup.
And if you could, could ya post the filter sizes for the fans?

Edited by Tanker201 - 28 Jan 2014 at 8:23am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 8:41am
Thanks Tanker, I've had it almost 2 months and am loving it
I thought a bit about where to put a 2nd monitor and the main purpose was the BF4 battlescreen and I read about what other guys did and went with this option. It's definitely much easier to flick your eyes directly up to the 2nd screen (to look at the big game map) then back down to the shooter on the main screen. It's no so good for looking up to for a long time (like reading a document) but that's not what it's for. Soon I intend to get a 3rd screen to sit off to the left of the main screen.

The filters vary in size depending where they go on the case. Not too cheap but I think a good investment if dust is a concern. Sizes, etc are here where I bought them from:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11727/ffi-55/DEMCiflex_Cooler_Master_HAF-X_Magnetic_Dust_Fan_Filter_Set_-_5_Piece.html
The filter for the front fan mounts behind the removable outer coverr on the HAF-X case. The rest of the filters just magnetically stick to the case and aren't very noticeable.

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 28 Jan 2014 at 8:43am
Tanker201 View Drop Down

Quote Tanker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:03am
Thanks BattleAxe, I live in northern Michigan by a HUGE!!!!! chemical, and energy plant. (Dow Chemical headquarters) and as such I don't want my pc to be exposed. Besides that I'm a paranoid freak when anybody touches my pc. Even microscopic particles.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 8:55am
Update: February 2013
I have added backplate to my 780 Ti graphics card. Not totally necessary but some discussion with others made me aware of the potential for these big heavy graphics cards to sag a little over time. A backplate can help prevent this and has the added bonus of looking cool and also helping the card keep a few degrees cooler. Not a bad investment for $20.
Here's some before and after pics:

Before:

After:

surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:49am
Very very nice system. Awesome looking!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:40pm
Nice visual upgrade!! The backplate looks awesome!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 5:46pm
Blackplate looks good! Strong
Tanker201 View Drop Down

Quote Tanker201 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 7:46pm
Looking sharp.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 7:25pm
Just a quick update since its now been a year I've had the machine.

Not much to report (that's a good thing). Have had no real issues. No need to contact DS support.
She's running very well and I still don't foresee upgrading it in during the next year. I built it to last 2 or 3 years to avoid the need. Maybe I'll add another SSD but i don't know.

My wife's prebuilt vanquish is also running great (9mths old). No issues with that either.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 4:21am
Great to hear.
ShrikeArghast View Drop Down

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 1:56pm
Sure wish they'd include more cases like this. Plus, let's face it, the word 'dreadnought' just screams power.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 6:19am
Since I'm passing by here today....thought I'd throw in a comment to say this machine is still going strong! I have had zero problems with it. About a year ago I upgraded the GPU to a 1070.

My wifes PC (bought 3 months after this one) is also still going strong, and was upgraded recently from a 770 to 1070 GPU.

Perhaps in a year or so we'll fully replace both machines. I'm also in the market for a high end laptop, both for corporate work and gaming while on the road and i can see Digital Storm has some tasty looking options....which i'm going to poke around in the forum to see if there's reviews :)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:06am
Hi ScottishBattleAx,

Thanks for the update. AwesomeThat is still one heck of a system.Strong
Enjoy the laptop offerings.Excited They are new. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 08 Apr 2018 at 3:07am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:12am
Congrats.     

Brings back the ole HafX days .     
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:24am
That was (and is) one hell of a case. Awesome
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:26am
Thanks for updating this post. I just bought a 1080 ti and then noticed the fan shroud in my HAF-X. I wasn't sure if it came off until your pics.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Alci

Thanks for updating this post. I just bought a 1080 ti and then noticed the fan shroud in my HAF-X. I wasn't sure if it came off until your pics.

Yeah it comes off. I had to remove it to install my 1070.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:09am
Great system. I'm very impressed with your photography, good job!
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:45pm
Nice review, Fantastic Photos

love your set up as well.

Post Reply Post Reply