FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback on New Gaming PC Build

Post Date: 2017-02-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Necrovoodoo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Feedback on New Gaming PC Build
    Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:45am
Any feedback on this build would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the questions I have for this build are:

1. Would installing my OS (Windows 10 Pro) on a M.2 SSD be worth the price over a SATA SSD? My goal is lightning fast boot times. Currently I plan on putting my OS on the M.2 SSD and my games on the SATA SSD.

2. How much maintenance is involved with the HydroLux LITE (CPU Only) option? I don't want to use a water-cooling option that requires a large amount of upkeep. I can perform the maintenance if needed, but ideally, I'd prefer to set it and forget it.

3. How much should I overclock my CPU if I'm water-cooling it? In this build, I've selected the maximum overclocking option that Digital Storm offers.

Thanks!

--------------

Budget:
$4000

Expectations:

-Windows to boot quickly.
-Games to load quickly.
-Current generation games to run at max settings at a minimum of 60 FPS (preferably more) at 1440p resolution (I already own monitors for this).
-Game genres I play include FPS, Action/Adventure, MMORPG (examples: Overwatch, Doom, Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, World of Warcraft, etc.)

Usage:
Mostly for gaming. 60-70 hours per week.

Special Needs:
Dual monitors at 1440p. One monitor for gaming and one monitor for web surfing and/or watching movies on Blu-Ray or YouTube. I want to do these things at the same time.

Saved Ticket #: 1610845

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (Black)
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270H GAMING (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux LITE: Integrated Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.0GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:53am
The Pcie interface for m.2 is certainly many times faster than SATA for large data files, video editing, etc., but for boot times I wouldn't think it's worth it, imho.    SATA is plenty fast and although I've never seen comparisons I wouldn't think you'd see much of a real world difference.    

The Hydroluc Lite will require filling and possibly flushing and refilling within 3-4 years or sooner depending on temps, usage etc.   For zero maintenance I'd recommend the H115i if it's CPU only.   The advantage of the Swiftech unit is it allows gpu cooling.   For CPU only, I personally would select the Corsair.

The 7700k Turbos to 4.5 so the 5.0 selection would be my only choice. If you want to push it higher the Pro cooling is my recommendation.

Your build looks good.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 3:00am
Hi Necrovoodoo,
That is a nice system. The real gurus will be by and give you savvy advise.
The boot times from a M.2 are supposed to be faster than with an SSD and those are faster than the old platter drives (HDD), so .....I can only vouch for the quickness of the SSD over the HDD. It is very noticeable.
I don't know about the Hydrolux Lite. The Pro does require some maintenance and filling. I think the Lite is as maintenance free as you can make an open loop.
DS will oc your cpu  to a stable state.
Enjoy.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 3:01am
The real guru beat me to it.LOLAwesome

I take too long to correct mistakes when I type.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 14 Feb 2017 at 3:02am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 3:08am
    Auto correct is where my typos come from.   Well, not all of them.   Some make no sense at all.   

Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 2:39pm
If you got rid of the fancy glitz wiring & lighting, stick with the Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) Fans, drop the OC to stage 2, replace the 850-watt PS with the fully modular 750-watt PS, go with a Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler, and you should be able to put a single SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 960 PRO) in the system for a grand total of around $4,068(excluding taxes). Then "everything" will be guaranteed to load fast, even while doing updates and playing a game or three.

Of course, that's just me, and the above recommendation I made is probably a bit overboard in regards to meeting your read/write speed requirements. I'm one of those people that prefers a quiet desktop that performs, and since I work in low light, I could do without the "night in Las Vegas" lighting. Nevertheless, we each have different priorities & tastes, so you may not be distracted or bothered as much by the lighting.

The current M.2 SSD and SATA SSD combo you have selected for your intended uses seems kind of pointless unless you're going to use the M.2 to store other programs that will be regularly needing to read/write LARGE chunks of data from/to. 250 Gb in my opinion is a small amount of storage to work with beyond the OS and critical programs since games can be 10's of Gb or larger in size.
For your intended uses, a single 2 TB SATA SSD should be enough. Whether you should get the EVO or PRO, I'll leave that to the SSD gurus on here.

With your current configuration and changing ONLY the M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD (2TB Samsung 850 PRO) in Storage Set 1 and losing the other SATA SSD in the Storage Set 2 will bring the cost of your system down to $3806, which means you'll still have the 850-watt PS and all of the fancy lighting/wiring.

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Acetylide

If you got rid of the fancy glitz wiring & lighting, stick with the Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) Fans, drop the OC to stage 2, replace the 850-watt PS with the fully modular 750-watt PS, go with a Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler, and you should be able to put a single SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 960 PRO) in the system for a grand total of around $4,068(excluding taxes). Then "everything" will be guaranteed to load fast, even while doing updates and playing a game or three.

Of course, that's just me, and the above recommendation I made is probably a bit overboard in regards to meeting your read/write speed requirements. I'm one of those people that prefers a quiet desktop that performs, and since I work in low light, I could do without the "night in Las Vegas" lighting. Nevertheless, we each have different priorities & tastes, so you may not be distracted or bothered as much by the lighting.

The current M.2 SSD and SATA SSD combo you have selected for your intended uses seems kind of pointless unless you're going to use the M.2 to store other programs that will be regularly needing to read/write LARGE chunks of data from/to. 250 Gb in my opinion is a small amount of storage to work with beyond the OS and critical programs since games can be 10's of Gb or larger in size.
For your intended uses, a single 2 TB SATA SSD should be enough. Whether you should get the EVO or PRO, I'll leave that to the SSD gurus on here.

With your current configuration and changing ONLY the M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD (2TB Samsung 850 PRO) in Storage Set 1 and losing the other SATA SSD in the Storage Set 2 will bring the cost of your system down to $3806, which means you'll still have the 850-watt PS and all of the fancy lighting/wiring.

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Acetylide, do you know if there's any speed benefit to installing your OS on a drive by itself? In other words, which of the following is faster:

A) One SSD with both OS and games installed on it.

or

B) Two SSD drives. One with the OS installed and one with the games installed.

For practical reasons, I've always preferred option B because if my OS drive failed, I could replace it without having to re-download all of my games again. However, I want to speed things up, so I'd be open to just using a single SSD for both if it can provide a noticeable speed increase. I can just back the games up to a NAS from time to time as a precaution.

Also, regarding water-cooling, I am now seriously considering the "Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler" you suggested. I really like that it's maintenance free. I guess the reason I overlooked it before is that I really like the look of the HydroLUX LITE option. I'm really into the aesthetics of my PC so I like it when there's some LED/RBG color options. From the picture of the Corsair H115i, I assumed it didn't have any LEDs and was just plain black. Can you, or anyone here, confirm that it does have some LED or RBG options on it by default? I can't seem to find any pictures of it in use.

I know it sounds silly to gravitate toward an option based on how it looks, instead of purely on how it performs, but I'd like to have the best of both worlds, looks and performance, if possible.

On a side note, I'm thinking about changing my case from an Apollo to the Coridium. Does anyone here have the Coridium case? If so, how do you like it? What is good and bad about it?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:24am
No speed difference with games on the same SSD.

The sealed H115i doesn't have the LED reservoir of the Swiftech.  The pump head itself that sits on the cpu does have LED selections.  

Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Necrovoodoo

Thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

Acetylide, do you know if there's any speed benefit to installing your OS on a drive by itself? In other words, which of the following is faster:

A) One SSD with both OS and games installed on it.

or

B) Two SSD drives. One with the OS installed and one with the games installed.

For practical reasons, I've always preferred option B because if my OS drive failed, I could replace it without having to re-download all of my games again. However, I want to speed things up, so I'd be open to just using a single SSD for both if it can provide a noticeable speed increase. I can just back the games up to a NAS from time to time as a precaution.

No speed difference.
You have to think of it like this as well: What happens if the other drive you use to store the games on fails instead of the OS drive?
Like I said, you're better off simply going with a single 2 Tb SATA SSD and back everything up regularly.

Quote Necrovoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:18am
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. I placed my order last night!

Below is what I settled on:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Expansion Bay: Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay (EZ-Rack)

Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Internal)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 850 EVO)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) Fans

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:29am
You made excellent selections.  Looks real good and Congrats.  Awesome 
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 3:41pm
Congratulations. That will be a very nice system.Strong
Keep us posted and maybe you know that we like pictures when you get it.Excited
Lex17 View Drop Down

Quote Lex17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
Congrats!
 Post Reply Post Reply