Post Date: 2013-07-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JustinWheat View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: X Plane 10
    Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 7:13pm
I'm currently looking for a rig that will max X plane 10 out. Budget is around $2500-3000.  I will be running on three monitors. I will have an additional computer to run avionic packages, etc. I would also like to play Call of Duty Ghosts and Grand Theft Auto V. I have been eying the Dreadnought Level 1. Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core). ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Extreme Overclocks).
16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested). 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible). 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX). One ssd for windows 7 and another ssd for the games, etc. I already have the monitors, keyboards, speakers, etc. This is also including overclocking the cpu and gpu. Will be using the H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition) for cooling. Any fan recommendations? I would like to optimize the airflow throughout. Thoughts on the system, suggestions/concerns are welcomed. Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 6:21am
Hi JustinWheat...  Welcome to the forums.     We just had another member start a thread, wishing to play X Plane 10 with about the same budget, and trying to get the best bang for the buck.  Check out the thread by Arwen..  She did a lot of research and the postings have a lot of good info.

Here's a config to check out.   X Plane 10 , unlike most sims, has been optimized to use all the cores you can throw at it.  The i7-3930k cpu has 6 core and 12 threads, vs the 3570k 4 core and 4 thread.  Might work better, but is above the budget.

The gtx 780 is great if you plan on adding another   Otherwise I would go with the sli, 2x gtx 770 for much better gaming across your monitors.  The 780 has 3gb vram and the 770 2gb vram, but unless you play on extreme textures then 2gb is probablt all you need. 

If you only plan on a single card or even sli, the Sabertooth will be fine.  The Extreme 5 with z77 is primarily for those wishing to tri-sli, 3x graphic card.  It has other features of course, so depends what you plan on doing.  The X79 can tri-sli as -is and it also has a 4 channel memory vs 2 channel ram on the z77.  Bigger bandwidth.

Config # 846328        Cost $ 3248         Dreadnought level 3

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I left the default drives.  Not sure what SSD s you wanted.

The 1600Mhz ram is all you might need.  the extra clock speed is seldom seen and can cause overclock issues.  But, again, up to you.

If the 3930k/X79 platform is too expensive, I would stick with at least the i7-4770k for its 4 core/8 thread in hyperthreading in the level 2 system.  

The HafX case doesn't need any fan upgrades.  Its the best air cooled case as it is.   

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Jul 2013 at 6:37am

Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 7:15am
Is the single gtx 7803gb not as good as 2 gtx770 in sli in a three monitor situation? The games I will be play will be in ultra high settings. Trying to achieve sixty plus frames across the board. As far as cooling goes are the fan upgrades too much? I would feel better to have to much than to little. Like to keep everything nice and cozy when running system at full blast. What are the benefits from stage1 to stage2 over clock on the CPU? Why not over clock the GPU?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 7:27am
Here's a comparison of a single 770 to single 780..  Across 3 monitors at 5760x1200 for example, if you sli the 770 then a lot better frames. 

If you want to game on all three monitors and want Ultra settings and stay at 60fps at all times, you'll probably need a card per monitor, meaning tri-sli, 3x gtx770 or 780 with some of the more demanding games.  Turning down the settings a few clicks like aa can smooth out gaming with little quality difference. 

The HafX has a front 230mm fan and side panel  and top 200mm fans.  They move slow, quietly and push a lot of air.  I wouldn't want to replace the larger fans with smaller ones.  The H100i will take the place of the top 200mm fan.  

The difference between stage 1 and 2 isn't a whole lot in gaming.   4.4 vs 4.7 is about the difference. 

Overclocking the gpu doesn't give more than a couple of fps difference but does put more stress on the card.  Stock clock IMO is the best.

Nerek387 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nerek387 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 9:14am
SLI 770 =) FTW unless you have the extra $$ then sli 780..
Titans are meant for movies not gpus. it's a name thing ;)
-Corsair 900D
-i7 4770K OC 4.5GHz
-Asus Sabertooth
-16GB Corsair Dominator 1600
-GeForce GTX 770 SLI
-Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB
-WD Black 1&2TB HDD 7200
-DS Custom CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling System

Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 10:17am
I have another question. With two GPUs and five monitors can I run three monitors in nvidia surround mode and the other two in extended desktop mode? Three monitors for x plane 10 and the other two for sim avio avionics. Would this work in sli mode?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 10:27am
Nope.   SLI works by mirroring, sharing, the same info,  to share in the rendering tasks across however many monitors.  . 

Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:13am
So any options out there to accomplish this besides another computer?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 11:57am
A possibility, although I've never looked into it, is to use your sli for surround, and a third card for the monitor with gauges, panel switches, etc on it.  The third card would not be bridged to the other two and would hook separately to the avionics monitor.  It could be a less powerful, cheaper  card because its just the static avionics for the most part but would still  take away from the cpu in tasking for the sli rendering.   

You would need a motherboard to support 3 cards, such as X79 platform or the Z87 Maximus 4 Extreme.  You'd have to figure out how to swing the mouse between the various monitors, but there must be programs to make it easier.

I haven't tried it, but it should work, I think.  Big%20Smile  Something you'd have to research. 

You could also not sli, and not bridge the two cards, run them independent,  but your performance would take a big hit. 

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Jul 2013 at 12:00pm

Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 2:12pm
What would be better bang for the buck. Single GTX7803gb card for now (add second gtx7803gb later) or 2x gtx7702gb? This is again running games maxed out with nvidia surround.  
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 2:36pm
The SLI GTX 770 would be better until you got your second GTX 780 then it would be better.

So it depends on if you want better now or later.

Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 8:47pm
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 (Intel Z87 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional 5.1
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow 120mm Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 140mm Fan Blow-Holes
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

This is what I have come up with after researching all day. Once again any recommendations/suggestions are welcomed. Will be running on three 24" Acer monitors in full screen. This system will have X Plane 10 and a few first person shooter games installed.

Quote JustinWheat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 11:54am
I have one question. With the sabertooth Z87 motherboard and two GTX780's in sli would I be able to run nvidia surround with just three hdmi cables?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 2:35pm
Your config looks real nice.   Not sure where DS will put the fan upgrade, but they'll let you know.    The Hafx doesn't need the upgrade or fan/ temp control but it will look nice.

You can use all HDMI but you might end up using one or two HDMI to DVI adapters to connect to the cards.

Here's a link at geforce.com that shows the various setups for 2D surround, 3D being a little different. Lots od variations.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

This is for gtx680 but its the same setup

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply