FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lumos build...looking for the right monitor

Post Date: 2019-01-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davey022 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Davey022 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos build...looking for the right monitor
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm
Hey, all!

Stage 1 and patiently awaiting my Lumos! This is my first gaming pc, so I went somewhat all out. My question I'm struggling with is which monitor should I hook up to my machine? I come from console, so my baselines are pretty low. I would like to be able to play on 1440 with the highest settings and a high framerates, of course. I appreciate any words of wisdom!

Thanks! Here are the specs of my order to help you help me.

System Configuration:

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (microATX) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Edited by Davey022 - 18 Jan 2019 at 5:43am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:53am
The RTX 2080 will KILL at 1440p! Lots of overhead for high frames on ultra settings.

What you're looking for should include a 144 Hz refresh rate and G-SYNC, if you can swing it. G-Sync costs extra (shakes fist at Nvidia) and should be the first budget casualty as a high refresh rate should minimize (or eliminate) the "screen tearing" the G-Sync fixes.

An IPS panel is more vibrant color-wise, and has wider viewing angles than a TN panel. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a monitor is IPS or TN. The give-away is if they tout 1 ms response time vs something like 4 ms response. The lower # is a TN panel. Most people think response time is mostly not something for concern unless it gets above 5 ms (milliseconds). It seems to me the viewing angle might be less of a factor/problem with a curved screen.

The rest of the equation is size and price. Popular around here are Asus, Dell and Acer.

The MSI AG32CQ curved 31.5 inch 1440p 144Hz monitor DS sells here is competitively priced ($439) and has everything you'd like except G-Sync. IDK how it is, but elsewhere it said the monitor has a 178 degree viewing angle with a 1ms response time. Those other brands tend to cost more.

I can't really recommend a particular monitor for you because it's so subjective.

Hope it helps.
Davey022 View Drop Down

Quote Davey022 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 9:54am
Thanks for all the info! I was thinking about trying 4k, but I want to enjoy the pc framerates, so I'm happy to hear itll have no issue with that and 1440. I appreciate the suggestion too; it sounds like I'll have plenty of time to research before I get my build!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 2:11am
Check out the Asus PG279Q (ips panel). Some of us here use that one and are very pleased. Awesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:23am
IMO 4K is for a huge monitor/TV. At anything 32" and below, I don't think 4K adds much to the experience. It's already documented that we don't have enough cones (color receptors) in our eyes to perceive all the difference in color saturation, and the difference in pixel count doesn't mean much until you start spreading the pixels out over a large surface area. I want 4K for a 70" TV across the room!

The 2070 is the price/performance sweet spot for 1440p. Plays all games ultra or high at solid frame rates. So the 2080 is plenty of overhead at that res for many years to come. Ultra and great frames on everything!
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 6:40pm
@Cretae that is very accurate but as for the eye reception of the image. We used to say that about 720 vs 1080i then 1080i vs 1080p, so maybe evolution or training of the eye? I agree though on the statement about the 2070 and about 1440p for pc gaming for sure. I do have 2 large 4k HDR tvs personally for movies/xbox/single player. One of which is a 120mhz the other just overclockable to 120 with "Motion sense" I would suggest to all PC Gamers to check the Nvidia Gsync compatible freesync list. Save money and still get an amazing monitor.!

Edited by Psyoshi - 20 Jan 2019 at 6:41pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:42am
@Psyoshi: Thanks very much for your revelation of the Nvidia driver FreeSync compatibility issue. That is truly very good news, and a potentially sizable price savings on some very nice monitors.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:47am
@Cretae Definitely, granted one benefit of true gsync monitors is I only see them in IPS panels. Better color even with advertised 1ms response though IPS tends to truly clock in at about 4ms which you won't notice until 5-7+. Just hard to stomach 800 for a non 4k 24" lol.
Davey022 View Drop Down

Quote Davey022 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:16pm
All great info guys, I appreciate it all! Coming from console to pc, there's a lot to learn it seems. I ended up going with @hoserator suggestion of the Asus. Although I got the new QZ model, but I'll keep ya guys in the loop of how it looks all set up!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:56am
Congrats on the monitor selection. Didn't know there was a "Z" newer version. Enjoy. Big%20Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:03am

No worries with your 2080!
 Post Reply Post Reply