5-year Old Dell XPS 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
8 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 750 ti
win 7
I think the power supply is 500w

Display:
Gateway Product No: FHD2401

The goal is to put in a volta card when released along with a 4k or ultrawide monitor . I would like to play games at max settings with my current display I have. I play all genres of games. I think my old CPU can handle up to a 1050ti, so i'll just replace that once volta comes out.

Questions:
1. Will the 1050ti take full advantage of the monitor I have?
2. Is the rest of the build up to par to handle volta, 4k, future gaming?

I do appreciate your time and advice, thank you!

Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:52pm
Change cooling to h115i

Rest looks good the ti should be ok look at it at the bottom since your monitor is 60hz all you want is 60 fps.

TedandSue View Drop Down

Quote TedandSue Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:39am
I talked with a friend who is a huge advocate for Corsair and made a few changes. Not sure if it is overkill or not, but I don't mind spending extra $$ for quality/warranty. I talked with a DS rep and he suggested stage 2 OC for CPU. I'd like this comp to last a good 5+ years (only replacing gpu) and he said the stage 2 does not shorten the life spam of the CPU. I'm assuming the factory turbo boost is good enough, but thought i'd ask. I like cool and quiet and upgraded the fans and he agreed they would help. Thank you again for the help and advice.

Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Edited by TedandSue - 22 Jan 2018 at 10:40am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:09am
That's a lot of psu for 1 card but.....AwesomeAlso, don't go for the DS oc. The cpu does not need it and if you want to do it anyway you can do better with the help found here.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:49am
Agree with hoserator...unless you plan on sli, 2x video card, a 750 watt G fully modular psu is all you need, maybe the 850 just because.   Nothing wrong with the 1000 watt but to save money.

Overclocking does put the speed on all cores.   If Ds gives you 4.8 or 4.9 ghz on added oc, it will be on all 6 cores. But, gaming uses primarily single, maybe double core and the 8700k gives you 4.7 on one and 4.6 on second cores with built in Turbo.    Not much to gain between 4.6 and 4.8 or so.      For gaming I personally would not select separate stage 1 or 2 oc, But up to you. If in the future you want to overclock, it is pretty simple.

I would get the 1060 if budget allows.   Big difference in gaming from 1050 ti to 1060.   

32gb ram is a lot of ram for games. I’m still on 8gb with zero issues.   16gb is the new norm.

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Jan 2018 at 12:25pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 8:54pm
I think the extra ram and the power supply are overkill. You'll never know the difference. Save it for the new monitor!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 11:40pm
@tedandsue, with all due respect if that build is what your friend advice directed you to, i suggest you stop listening to your friends, and instead listen to the facts so you can get your money's worth.

Unless you came here to literally flush your money down the drain on things you don't need and won't notice, which i assume is not the case for you good folks.

Here is a pice of information /fact you didn't know and neither did your friend.

1. Corsair doesn't make it's own psu.

2. Corsair doesn't make it's own memory.

3. In the middle of the night i can come and replace your psu with that 750w evga and you would never notice if i didn't tell you. BTW that 750w has a 10 year warranty.

4. In the middle of the night I can come and replace your ram with 16gb of DS ram and you would never notice it in gaming /average use if I didn't tell you.

5. I like corsair too for customer service but evga has better customer service. Ram is cheap and since hand full of companies make them(not corsair), they are all the same pretty much, extra ram speed = waste of money for gaming above 3000mhz.

DS stage 2 oc will kill your cpu much faster, their vcore setting is too high, unless that DS rep wants to send you in writing that he will personally warranty your stage 2 oc for 5 years i would take what any rep of any company tells me with a grain of salt.

Let me give you information that the rep didn't. DS warranty your system for 1 year for parts. After that you are dealing with manufacturer. If your oc fails and cpu can no longer hold oc settings, you are stuck with stock speeds, even under warranty DS does not warrant the oc, they warranty the cpu, and as long as your cpu runs on stock speeds DS will not change cpu. Intel will be no help either they support intel turbo boost only.

Even for stage 1 the vcore we have seen from DS is high. Wr recommend going with Intel turbo, these days it is great and not like it was before. If you need more power we recommend ocing it yourself so that you have better settings so the oc last as long as the system, we can help you but gamers no longer need manual oc.

Stick with our advice as customers and well informed in facts, we are the best source of neutral information. We just provide the facts and info, we want people to get the most powerful system for least money without sacrificing quality or performance.

For gaming once cpu speed is around 4.2ghz, your are good with cpu, next is gpu, you are going with weak gpu and spending money on things that don't matter, instead spend money on getting better gpu depending on your monitor's resolution.

Hope that info helps

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Jan 2018 at 11:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply