Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stinkpaw View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote stinkpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help Me Spend $4k
    Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 12:26am

Saved Ticket: 474266

Budget: I’m trying to keep the price to $4k, but I can go higher if there is a compelling reason to do so.

Use: I want a killer gaming rig that I will also use for software development.

Drives: I plan on loading all my games and sw dev tools on the SSD. I wanted to get the 240G Corsair as I also run several virtual PCs for sw testing, but then I read in some thread that non-Intel SSDs blow.

Question: Is the Corsair ok to get or should I stick to the Intel?

The 10K Raptor is mainly for databases I need for my development work so queries, data processing etc… run faster.

The 2TB is for backups.

Motherboard: I am really clueless here. My primary concerns with a mb is having enough slots, upgrades, and decent on-board sound.

Question: Should I select another mb?

Power Supply: I may want to add another video card in the future so did a little overkill on the PSU.

Monitor: I’ll be using a single 30” Dell Ultra-sharp running at 2560 x 1600.

Video card: For no real reason I’ve always had ATI but seems everyone here is big on nVidia so decided to give it a try. Any reason to switch?

Noise: This is a big issue as this PC is going to be my spare in the master bedroom for when I’m too lazy to walk upstairs to the office. Being in my bedroom, I want it pretty quiet.

Case: I want something quiet, upgradeable, and spacious (I hate working on HW and loath cramped cases.) I didn’t seem to have a lot of case options as I started the build from the Black Ops path instead of the Special Ops path.

Overclocking and cooling: I need help here. Any suggestions on the Extreme Cooling and Chassis Airflow sections would be appreciated.

Maybe I’m old school but computers + water don’t seem to mix. I also don’t want to deal with any potential problems with OCing so I took a pass.

I selected the Zalman fan upgrades hoping they were quieter.

Question: I’d consider the free OCing of CPU and video cards if I could still use air-only cooling w/o increasing the noise. Is that possible?

-------------------------------

Ticket Number: 474266
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,831.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=474266

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI 3 Edition (USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s) (Model: 131-GT-E767)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended) 
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: WD6000HLHX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: Killer 2100 (Maximum Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: EVGA 2 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Host Card (PCI-E Slot)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler (Compatible With i5/i7/AMD Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows

Question: Would a display and fan control add-on be helpful so I could turn down fans while my system is idle to keep the noise down (I usually leave my PC on all the time)?

Thanks for your help.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 1:42am
ok boss where to begin, lets see corsair is ok but maybe you want to raid 2 x 160GB intel instead for more speed and room.

motherboard is good but with sli sabertooth would be better I guess tho I don't really care fore asus anymore myself.

for psu get 1000w corsair if you know you only gonna go dual sli, and get the 1200w corsair if you thinking tri sli, the 1000w corsair has a 5 year warranty, the 1200w corsair has a 7 year warranty.

to have a killer rig that can game smooth on 2560 x 1600 at the highest settings and 2x aa or 4x aa, you gonna want sli 570 gtx.

ati or nvidia is your choice tho right now for the price the 570 gtx is the best bet on the market IMO.

now as for oc, cooling, lc and noise:

lc with quiet fans will give you the best outcome as far as having the least noise.

90% of the noise of your pc comes from the gpu's fan anyways, then go on high when under load, so all you have to do is set the gpu fans to 30 - 50% at night and noise should not be an issue.

its not tap water that we are putting in our pc, its distilled water, its non conductive, so if it spills nothing happens, unlike regular water.

There are no problems with ocing, there are however many problems when people that don't know what they are doing oc. here you don't have that problem cause its DS that is ocing it, and the system is under warranty with the oc.

fan upgrade are louder.

fan controller, will not allow you to control all the fans, and the temps are not as accurate as the free softwares that are out there, besides as I mentioned earlier, the case fans are quiet, and most of the noise is from the gpu's fans.

so here is an idea for you:

Here you go Ticket# 474286 --- $5163 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz (Six-Core Gulftown)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: WD6000HLHX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD2001FASS)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I think for our use the 6 core cpu is what you want.

tell me what you think

this board will have one pci lane open after the dual sli, if you need more pci lanes then we need to look at different boards.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Dec 2010 at 1:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply