FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help With $1k Gaming PC Build

Post Date: 2012-07-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lulzies View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lulzies Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help With $1k Gaming PC Build
    Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:35pm
Budget: $1000
Willing to pay a bit more.

Expectations:
- Low fan noise
- Quick start up
- Able to play games at max graphics while running at around 70 fps

Usage:
In the summer, I spend around 10 - 12 hours gaming, and i tend to run my computer overnight 3 - 4 times a week in my room, but since this is technically my little brother's computer, it needs to have low noise. Ill probably choose a 20 inch monitor to play on.

Special Needs:
I want to have an 60GB SSD, and 1TB HDD.
Ill Provide more info if necessary.
LaneHayes View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote LaneHayes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 12:49pm
Pick whichever one of the prebuilts (Marauder or ODE) you want to pay for. ODE will have an OC and a little better components, but price/performance is best in the marauder. Basically give us a hard budget and we can pick out the best one given the constraint.

The 60gb SSD i'd just buy later and add as my boot drive, its more of a luxury for fast boot times. If you rarely boot/don't load games a lot, its value is lessened. It can however increase performance in sandbox type games, but for Blizzard games its negligible.

You can easily max out d3, WOW, other normal games on ultra. BF3/recent first person shooters will take an SLI solution.

And 10-12 hours a day gaming in the summer? Your parents are nuts unless you have some sort of disability. Don't spend college the same way.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 3:47pm
Hi lulzies.....The Marauder lvl 3 for $1199 is the least I would recommend for decent gaming.     Liike LaneHayes said., you won't max out all games but even on High settings gaming is great.      Good luck.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 9:40am
20-inch monitor can be a lot of things. It isn't the size of the monitor that matters, it's how many pixels (e.g. 1920x1080, 1600x1200). That alone determines how powerful your graphics needs to be.

The SSD depends on whether you want to upgrade this down the line. If you are, I'd suggest going for performance now, and getting the SSD later because it's really just a simple luxury. If not, you can try to make some room for it, but at this budget you're going to start sucking away at your performance hard and fast.

IF you're not going for a 1920x1080 monitor, then I'd say the Marauders should do well enough for you. Can't guarantee they'll max settings, but it should be more than playable.

Edited by ablahblah - 13 Jul 2012 at 9:44am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply