FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How is the Harker/Banshee displays connected?

Post Date: 2017-01-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deonb View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deonb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How is the Harker/Banshee displays connected?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 6:00am
After having fought with my A--------- 17 for a month, I'm ready to give up on it.

The thing that bugged me to no end - the internal display of the A-------- is physically connected to the built-in Intel HD 530 on the Skylake. This means you can't disable the built-in GPU - and there are some applications that insists on picking the wrong GPU and run on it - it ignores the Nvidia configuration.

With that in mind - how is the Harker & Banshee built-in display connected? Is it physically connected to the Nvidia and thus making it possible to disable the Skylake GPU in the bios?

Thanks!

...removed competitor name...

Edited by Snaike - 13 Jan 2017 at 8:34am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:09am
I don't know how they're connected, but most laptops with discrete gpu allow you to pick which gpu you want to use, either universally or per program, bypassing Nvidia's Optimus gpu switching they use to  save battery. 

Go into Nvidia Control Panel...Manage 3D settings... Global tab and select High Performance Nvidia Processor to force the discrete gpu.  You can also select just certain programs instead of Global. 

Not sure this answers it, but good luck.  Big%20Smile

deonb View Drop Down

Quote deonb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:08am
I know about that setting, and it works for some apps and doesn't work for others. Generally high end apps and games work fine - it's the stupid little apps that surprise you. Chrome/IE plugins are big culprits in this especially.

I'd rather just disable the built-in Skylake display and not deal with the frustration.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:20am
Someone will probably prove me wrong, but I don't think you can .    Unlike a desktop graphics card that has separate monitor ports, a laptop only has the single monitor port where the igpu, even though not the primary when setup correctly, still manages the graphics, even from the discrete.  

Try calling or emailing DS and asking them for a definitive answer.   If there is a way I have never heard of it. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Jan 2017 at 9:22am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:42pm
It's not possible to be physically connected to the NVIDIA GPU only, the Intel graphics is connected with hit. You should be able to set NVIDIA GPU settings in the NVIDIA control panel for specific applications.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by deonb

After having fought with my A--------- 17 for a month, I'm ready to give up on it.

The thing that bugged me to no end - the internal display of the A-------- is physically connected to the built-in Intel HD 530 on the Skylake. This means you can't disable the built-in GPU - and there are some applications that insists on picking the wrong GPU and run on it - it ignores the Nvidia configuration.

With that in mind - how is the Harker & Banshee built-in display connected? Is it physically connected to the Nvidia and thus making it possible to disable the Skylake GPU in the bios?

Thanks!

...removed competitor name...

I have the same brand laptop, but I got mine back around early 2013. I would hardly consider this an issue since, after all, it is a laptop, and I wouldn't want it to be using the NVIDIA GPU for mundane tasks such as web browsing, MS Office tasks, etc., if I'm running off of the battery.

If anything, I would complain about the bloatware they put on it, some of which does whatever it wants when it wants to. Nothing irritates me more than when I'm in a game and suddenly a DOS box pops up for a few seconds(most likely some kind of diagnostics application). Another thing they do is have a buggy battery/plugged in notification pop up in the middle of the screen on top of everything, which is most likely a proprietary app related to the battery/MB... I've noticed that if I boot the laptop up in battery mode and later plug it in, it has a habit of cycling back and forth between "battery" & "plugged in and charging" for about a minute or two, which means I'm stuck with that stupid notification popping up on the screen on top of everything until it goes away. My first thought was possibly a bad cable, but being that its a new PS and only does this after plugging it in leads me to believe its the application/software itself.

Anymore I would just avoid their systems simply due to the conflicts/issues that can arise from all of the extra cr@p they put on them.

The good thing about getting a system from here is you're not going to have unwanted stuff jumping up unexpectedly on your screen on top of everything unless there's an actual problem. No need to track down & disable/remove bloatware or getting stuck with unwanted apps.

I'm still torn between getting a Win7 prof. or Win10 prof. X-99 desktop from here. My biggest concern is if I get a Win7 system, I'll have to deal with upgrading to Win10 if they decide to start making games & programs strictly for Win10 in the near future.
Kyser13th View Drop Down

Quote Kyser13th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 3:08pm
New processors such as Kabylake are already requiring Windows 10. Go with the same bet.
deonb View Drop Down

Quote deonb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 6:18am
No need for more replies. I lost interest in all things Digital Storm the moment they censored my post above.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:27am

No need for more replies. I lost interest in all things Digital Storm the moment they censored my post above.

Don't take it personal.  They have always, for years, with everyone,  deleted any competitors names so as not to promote them on their forums or get into ridicule of the competition.   I think its a very good practice to let DS reputation speak for itself. 

Big%20Smile
Teufelhunde View Drop Down

Quote Teufelhunde Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Don't take it personal.  They have always, for years, with everyone,  deleted any competitors names so as not to promote them on their forums or get into ridicule of the competition.   I think its a very good practice to let DS reputation speak for itself.  Big%20Smile

Their forum, their rules.......
 Post Reply Post Reply