FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Krypton gpu upgrade concern

Post Date: 2016-09-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xychotic View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Krypton gpu upgrade concern
    Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 12:51am
Hello, I have a question that I hope an employee can answer. I bought my Krypton about 2 years ago and was interested in upgrading it's gpu to the new Gtx 1080 or 1070 but was told that was not possible and that I would have to purchase an entirely new model laptop if I wanted the new gpu's. I was recently browsing other discussions in this forum regarding a gpu upgrade for the same model laptop I own the Krypton, and I found a customer who also wanted to upgade his Krypton and had the gtx 880m. He was told by an employee he COULD upgrade just the gpu if he wanted, to the gtx 980m or 970m and was given the pricing. If someone could please explain why this is not possible in my case but was possible in his it would be greatly appreciated as this has been kind of confusing and very disappointing. Thank you in advance.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 1:03am
If you would like an official answer, please email either [email protected] or [email protected].

The forum community, while visited by Alex, Nav and the crew, is mostly customers.

Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 1:05am
Understood, thank you.
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 4:13am
I will add that generally it is not worth doing it in a Laptop due to the prices of mobile cards being stupid expensive.  my old DS laptop has a 680m in it and I looked into upgrading to a 980m until i saw the prices.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 2:18pm
I'll be honest, you're better off getting a new laptop if you have a unit that's 2+ years old. Especially because new laptop graphics cards are a large portion of the actual unit price.
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 2:54pm
The 980m was quoted at $767 from a DS employee and a new system with decent specs are anywhere from $2300 to $3000+ which is why I'm interested in the card alone. The problem however, isn't the price of the card it's that nobody can seem to explain to me why an upgrade, specifically to the gtx 1080 isn't possible for me when someone else with the same system was told they can upgrade from the 880m to the 980m or 970m. I'm very happy with my laptop and its basically brand new as its been lightly used. I just looked and I've had it for less than 2 years, I made my purchase on 4/22/15 so I really dont want to shell out another few grand when it's still new-ish.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 3:01pm
Maybe the 980m can fit a 680m with some small modifications but the 1080m/1070m are totally different beasts, and most likely will not fit the same slot. I have not looked around I'm just taking a guess, most times in the past you could not change the gpu on laptops either to very high price or physical limits. Also keep in mind there maybe issues that will bottle neck the 980m depending on your setup and cpu and etc.
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 3:16pm
See that exactly what I'm trying to find out as I myself don't know and can only guess as well. I was told I couldn't do it but wasn't given a reason. I do know that the newer clevo and sager models are very upgradable and the Harker model that was around when the Krypton was being sold and is made on basically the same chassis as my krypton is able to have the gtx 1070 put in it as its current being sold with that configuration on this site.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 3:25pm
What's the Clevo model number of the Krypton?   I don't remember.   The number in parentheses after in the config and your order will tell.

Google that model number and whether it can be upgraded to the 1070/1080.   

I think you'll find the size of the board and the laptops ability to dissipate the extra tdp, heat, is the reason.    The heat sinks might not be compatable.   A guess of course.

Good luck.
Mages View Drop Down

Quote Mages Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 6:32pm
Im curious about upgrading mine aswell. Bought it with the 980m
Mobo: P17SM-A
Clevo: 1558

Wondering what options I have or if there is an adapter to remove the internal card and use the PCI-E bus to an eGPU.
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 8:03pm
I have the 980m as well and for what ever reason nobody will tell me why I cant upgrade to the 10 series. The only answer I keep getting is the krypton isnt upgradable whatsoever. It's funny cause if you go to this thread http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/krypton-upgrades-tidf24508/
one of the admins tells this customer he can upgrade the gpu on his Krypton if he wants and then lists the cards and their prices. I keep getting stone walled and told the exact opposite however, Apparently the krypton cant be upgraded all of a sudden. I'm Kind of upset, one of the reasons I bought this model was because it was listed as upgradable, I thought I would be getting a future proof laptop to an extent. I was REALLY REALLY looking forward to putting a 1080 in this monster. I keep getting told by DS management I should just spend another $2,300 on a brand new laptop instead of buying a $700-800 gpu by itself but I absolutely love my krypton and only got it a little over a year ago and its in pristine condition. I love DS and will always buy my pc's from them but I'm a little annoyed with the short answers and lack of reasoning. I've attempted to contact DS management by phone, this thread, and email. I was answered but it was a one time response each time and very brief with no reason as to why my upgrade isn't possible.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:53pm
@Xychotic, While I understand your frustration, the thread you linked to is a thread where a person is asking to upgrade the 780m and he is told he can upgrade to the 980m/970m.

However what you are trying to do is upgrade the 980m to a 1070m/1080m, in this case most likey there is a physical conflict that will not allow them to upgrade a 980m to a 1080m so you are told its not upgradeable.

I'm not a 100% sure but that is what I have run into whenever I could not upgrade a laptop's gpu.

Hope that helps you at least not be too frustrated as the dimensions of the gpu is out of everyone's control but nvidia/amd.

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Sep 2016 at 9:54pm
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 11:01pm
Thank you for your advice. I understand that customer was moving from the 780m to the 970m or 980m but I was told my model is not upgradable WHATSOEVER. Before I made my purchase I called the DS sales dept to gather info on the krypton. I was told that it did indeed have the ability to upgrade its gpu as that was one of my main concerns, but when I received an email from DS management regarding my upgrade problem, again, I was told that my model of the krypton was not upgradable WHATSOEVER. Now, I was never told there were several different versions of the krypton and I would need to order a specific version if I wanted to be able to upgrade the gpu, but After looking at that customers specs I noticed that his Krypton says model S:8295 and mine says S:8298. This is new knowledge and upsetting. I wish DS would have advertised that somewhere in their krypton description page or told me about it when I asked the rep about gpu upgradability cause now I feel ripped off. We both seemed to get our kryptons only one month apart so I dont see how they could have released a new krypton in that short of a timeframe. I feel I've figured this whole thing out now and thats maybe why they didnt want to tell me why I couldn't upgrade my gpu. So I guess Im going to have to call them to sort this out further. I would like to thank everyone who offered their advice and expertise. This takes things to a new level. Hopefully everyone reading this will now ask about additional versions of the same model before making a purchase. This is so wrong. I have had the utmost respect for this company and have recommended them to so many people 1 of which actually bought a desktop because of my review and recommendation. I really hope this was just an oversight and wasnt done intentionally.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 5:28am
Just my opinion, but I think anyone buying a laptop with the intention of upgrading the video card in 2-3 years is making an iffy decision.    A single generation upgrade is usually not worth it and beyond that the designers and manufacturers of laptop cards have little incentive or desire to make it a plugin for existing laptops.   First, the number of laptop owners that will actually do it is very small. Second, manufacturers would rather not be restricted by present designs and marketing tells them to keep the consumer buying new.   

I really think upgradable laptops is a selling ploy. Not true in all cases, of course, but in most cases.    

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:22pm
Please send me an email "[email protected]" with your order information and your upgrade request. We will then work with Clevo and our suppliers to see if your laptop is upgradable to the GTX 1000 series.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 3:58pm
Alex is just so diplomatic. Great with customers.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 4:32pm
Ya but its gonna cost him an arm and a leg
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 2:55am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Ya but its gonna cost him an arm and a leg
Yea but Alex is gonna win more customers because of it...

Fair trade.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 9:38am
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 1:57pm
What snaike said

Thank you Alex, Thats the legendary DS customer service I know and love! Ill send the info through.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 2:12pm
Let us know if you were able to fit a 1000 series in there after all. Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 3:29pm
Ya and let us know how much it cost I'm pretty sure you gonna find out its not worth it if it is doable.
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 3:46pm
Will do, but either way a 7-8 hundred dollar gpu is not going to be as expensive as a $2300+ new system. It'll be worth it. If I didnt need the portability I would have just went desktop and avoided all this.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
I'm thinking over $1000 but that is pure assumption
Mages View Drop Down

Quote Mages Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:57pm
I'm in the same boat. If it turns out it isn't upgradeable and they suggest buying a new system I'll just build myself a desktop instead of getting lured into these "upgradeable" schemes again.
Xychotic View Drop Down

Quote Xychotic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:35pm
Yup, I hear you bro. That's exactly what I plan to do. I've been speaking with Alex and he's been going out of his way to help me. He explained that my system is in fact upgradable but they dont like to say it is too often cause theres always a risk a newer gpu wont fit. See the reason I'm so annoyed is cause I received an email not too long ago from a gentleman named Jericho regarding my upgrade question and this was what he said:

"Hi Scott,

We have verified that the model of your laptop is not compatible with any GPU upgrade. Krypton systems has different models and some are capable of doing upgrades and unfortunately some are not. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you and best regards,

Jericho"

As you can see he said my Krypton is not compatible with ANY gpu upgrade and there are different versions of the krypton, that some are upgradable and some are not. WHAT...lol but Thats why I felt so ripped off. I was NEVER told that prior to making my purchase, when I asked DS's sales dept if the Krypton was upgradable, They told me it was. I believe it even mentioned that on the product page. Luckily I just found out it is in fact upgradable it really just depends on if the 10 series will fit now. I thought I would be getting a somewhat future proof laptop and I need the portability or I would have just gotten a desktop. I would have gotten alot more performance with a desktop for the money I spent on my laptop as well. Thankfully someone is finally making an effort to check on this, thats all I wanted from the beginning. Instead all I got was half a** answers with no explanations. I have always gotten beyond amazing customer support from DS so this was a bit of a shock. So shout out to Alex for going above and beyond to help a brotha out.
 Post Reply Post Reply