FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop Cooling Solutions?

Post Date: 2018-03-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lvlonemage View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lvlonemage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Laptop Cooling Solutions?
    Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 2:39am
Finally got my Banshee back (I've had to RMA this poor thing twice) and am gaming on it again at 4k with a solid 60+ FPS in FFXIV. However I have some concerns with temps.

If you're unfamiliar with the Banshee, it has an i7700k @ 4.2ghz and 2x1080's. Fairly compact and great traveling laptop which is why I got it to begin with. But I'm afraid the size is what is causing the temp issues.

I'm using CAM Software to monitor temp and FPS for GPU's and CPU, and these temps are reaching in 80's. Fans are pretty much starting to max out at this point and man they are loud.

I have a Opolar USB fan to help suck out hot air from the GPU vents in the back (got a second one coming in Saturday) and a cooling mat (which idk if it even does anything tbh) helping to cool the bottom.

I think DS will add in liquid cooling if I ship it back to them and pay for the service but I am really trying to keep this baby as mobile as possible because I have to do airport travel for work.

Are there any other solutions you guys can think of to get those temps down? Any cooling mats you 100% convinced push out a lot of air or keep the bottom nice and cool? Any suggestions really would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:47am

Laptops, especially gaming laptops, run hot.   Just the nature of the beast. Other than a cooling pad the only other check is to make sure the fans, heatsinks, etc don’t have dust buildup.    Laptops aren’t even overclocked because of their heat issue.

Never heard of liquid cooling for a laptop.

Quote Lvlonemage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 11:22am
80+ seems a bit on the unsafe side no? Shouldn't be any build up; it literally just got back from DS.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
Temps in the 80’s C is normal for a gaming laptop.   Sounds a bit much for those used to desktops but laptops have little airflow with the tight confines.   

Temps hitting mid 90’s could be problematic, with some cpu’s throttling at that point.   

Laptops equal heat, no way around it.    

If you remove the bottom panel you’ll see only small heatsinks and flattened heat tubes to carry the heat away.   That’s why only a small dust buildup gives more problems than the same on desktops.    Not sure what DS or the manufactures did during service but I would assume they cleaned it. I would check it.

Keeping the bottom vents clear is important.   You said you use a cooling pad but if you sat it on a couch, rug, bed, etc. that would restrict airflow in.

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Mar 2018 at 1:15pm
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Lvlonemage

Finally got my Banshee back (I've had to RMA this poor thing twice) and am gaming on it again at 4k with a solid 60+ FPS in FFXIV. However I have some concerns with temps.

If you're unfamiliar with the Banshee, it has an i7700k @ 4.2ghz and 2x1080's. Fairly compact and great traveling laptop which is why I got it to begin with. But I'm afraid the size is what is causing the temp issues.

I'm using CAM Software to monitor temp and FPS for GPU's and CPU, and these temps are reaching in 80's. Fans are pretty much starting to max out at this point and man they are loud.

I have a Opolar USB fan to help suck out hot air from the GPU vents in the back (got a second one coming in Saturday) and a cooling mat (which idk if it even does anything tbh) helping to cool the bottom.

I think DS will add in liquid cooling if I ship it back to them and pay for the service but I am really trying to keep this baby as mobile as possible because I have to do airport travel for work.

Are there any other solutions you guys can think of to get those temps down? Any cooling mats you 100% convinced push out a lot of air or keep the bottom nice and cool? Any suggestions really would be helpful.

How big is this laptop? I can't imagine there being enough room for liquid cooling, but if there is, it will be one hell of a heavy laptop to drag around constantly with the PS brick, battery, and water cooling. I haven't researched it, so I wouldn't know if there are available liquid cooling options specifically for laptops. In my opinion, such an option sounds a bit risky for a system that is going to be constantly moved & jostled around.

Quote Lvlonemage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Acetylide

How big is this laptop? I can't imagine there being enough room for liquid cooling, but if there is, it will be one hell of a heavy laptop to drag around constantly with the PS brick, battery, and water cooling. I haven't researched it, so I wouldn't know if there are available liquid cooling options specifically for laptops. In my opinion, such an option sounds a bit risky for a system that is going to be constantly moved & jostled around.

It does to me as well which is why I've been very hesitant about it, but it does exist as an option.

The laptop itself is roughly 17'' and weighs about 24lbs. It's housing two 1080's in there so you can imagine.

The cooling mat I have on the underside doesn't move a lot of air even when maxed out (actually got this from DS as well) which is where I keep it. But I have it up on an adjustable to stand to keep air coming in from the bottom regardless of what surface I play on.

This is my first real gaming laptop (used to Desktop temps) so if folks are saying 70-80's is normal then I will just need to adjust. I haven't seen it spike into the 90's but she definitely hovers around 80. I may be overly concerned due to the last reason I had to RMA though.

That being said, are there any cooling pads that dish out good airflow? I am half tempted to just sit her over a room fan and just point at it straight at the bottom just because I feel so bad about the sound the GPU/CPU fans create.
WADofMEAT View Drop Down

Quote WADofMEAT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:31pm

Yes liquid cooling has been around for some time I myself have a asus rog 701 thatis water cooled...and for people asking weight doesnt matter, its the ease of moving it place to place with included pelican case that rolls.

As for temps I also have a msi same stats as your laptop...running everything max it goes to around 84 but under bad load i have seen it hit 97 which is still good...so I wouldnt worry that much.

Just be aware there with be a lot of deskstop bias people that will tell you to just get a desktop.
\Just ignore them.

Gaming laptops have come a long ways ...some out there even out do desktops with 2 titans.

Myself I'm waiting on DS to release these new laptop in march even though its half way into march.

********** is starting to look like what I may go with for my sons laptop.....he is a desktop junkie but i i get him the slx 17 he will be blown away..since it has deskstop cpu and gpu's

But on last note if you worried about core temps get a software to control fan speed and read up on msi or asus forums about laptop temps, here isnt the place really.

Also big nono i see with alot of people buying a cooling fan, never get one that pushes air in. get one that sucks it out

Competitor name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 13 Mar 2018 at 3:11am
WADofMEAT View Drop Down

Quote WADofMEAT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:43pm
But hell if you ever worry about heat just get a dryer tube, one in to a boot to the air register and then make custom table with a hoed to mount the other end with a boot ...put a carbon filter and have AC cooling lol...Ive seen it done.

Long before water cooling Dell XPS desktops had built in AC cooling units.

Edited by WADofMEAT - 12 Mar 2018 at 4:46pm
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by WADofMEAT

Yes liquid cooling has been around for some time I myself have a asus rog 701 thatis water cooled...and for people asking weight doesnt matter, its the ease of moving it place to place with included pelican case that rolls.

As for temps I also have a msi same stats as your laptop...running everything max it goes to around 84 but under bad load i have seen it hit 97 which is still good...so I wouldnt worry that much.

Just be aware there with be a lot of deskstop bias people that will tell you to just get a desktop.
\Just ignore them.

Gaming laptops have come a long ways ...some out there even out do desktops with 2 titans.

Myself I'm waiting on DS to release these new laptop in march even though its half way into march.

********** is starting to look like what I may go with for my sons laptop.....he is a desktop junkie but i i get him the slx 17 he will be blown away..since it has deskstop cpu and gpu's

But on last note if you worried about core temps get a software to control fan speed and read up on msi or asus forums about laptop temps, here isnt the place really.

Also big nono i see with alot of people buying a cooling fan, never get one that pushes air in. get one that sucks it out

Competitor name removed.

My biggest gripe with laptops is how they are dependent on both the PS and battery. If an issue arises with the battery, the cpu performance, along with the overall system, takes a nose dive. If it were up to me, the only function a battery would have in my laptop would be to provide enough power long enough for a proper shut-down in the event of a power outage.
Its not like we're going to be able to run a gaming laptop for any length of time playing games while running off the battery. You would be recharging the battery practically every hour of gameplay, which will dramatically decrease the life of your battery if this is done frequently.

In my opinion, if you need the mobility and travel often, then one should go with a laptop. However, if the intent is to replace a desktop with it, I would make sure it can run at optimal performance on just the PS without the need for a battery. I'm not even sure if they make laptops like that. My particular laptop probably wouldn't run without the battery in it or would only operate at 90 out of the necessary 180 watts. Plus there is the issue with the battery preservation causing the cpu to underclock at inconvenient times when the battery has been charged near-max for too long.
 Post Reply Post Reply