Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doznoi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doznoi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking to buy a PC
    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:04pm
Budget:
$1500 (maybe up to 2,000, but that's pushing it)

My MSI laptop that I've been using for gaming, unfortunately the mobo shorted and it is no longer covered with a warranty. The repair cost for it, would cost at least half the budget I'm allocating to this desktop.

With that said, I need a computer capable of gaming on 1080p high-ultra setting on a 144hz monitor. No specific games come in mind, but all modern Triple-A games including upcoming titles and also able to stream. I'm thinking a 1070 is sufficient enough for the task, so maybe a Vanquish 7 - Level 3? My only concern with the Level 3 config is the processor, possibly not being as "future-proof" as I'd like, and the 8gb RAM (I'd prefer a minimum 16gb or more; was kind of spoiled with my laptop as it had 32gb ram)

Edited by doznoi - 21 Mar 2018 at 8:10pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 3:43am
For gaming, the i5 without the added threads is fine.    It still Turbos to 4.3 on single thread which is a decent clock speed. The i7 is faster however.

I’m still gaming on 8 gb ram with no thoughts of adding, but 16 is the new standard.   Gaming is fine with 8gb. You can always add ram later if needed.

Can’t say what games will use as far as threads, i7, in the next few years, so future proofing is a big unknown.   My experience is that future proofing is a waste of money since , except for graphics cards, nothing moves along that much.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 7:37am
Up until January, I was gaming well on a seven year old 4 core CPU at 3.8 GHz top-end. The limiter was my GPU that I had not needed to upgrade until now. I have the 1070 GPU, it is great for 1080p, can handle the extra frames at that res, and I expect it to perform well for several years.

Agree the RAM is not too big a deal at present, and it's an easy upgrade if/when you need to. I'd expect that CPU to be enough for a long time.
MLM510 View Drop Down

Quote MLM510 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:28am
Does anyone know if DS plans on offering any sales on Easter or anytime soon in general? Figured I'd ask since I'm a few days away from ordering one and I'd suck to miss out on a sale.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:08am
DS rarely makes sales announcements prior to the event. IIRC black Friday and back to school are the ones I can remember.
MLM510 View Drop Down

Quote MLM510 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
Makes sense,thanks anyways just figured I'd ask
 Post Reply Post Reply