mechanical keyboards

Post Date: 2016-03-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
funeralpyre88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote funeralpyre88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: mechanical keyboards
    Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 6:30pm
I have heard the term "mechanical keyboard". What does this mean and how are they better than the regular keyboard i have now? Is it worth getting? My current keyboard has shallow small keys and I end up pressing more than one key at once when I don't want to.

Additionally, is it worth it getting a good quality mousepad, because sometimes I feel that in some games like Bioshock and Witcher, the camera pans in strange, awkward directions when I don't really want it to, or the view angle does not change when i want it to change. This is very frustrating it makes me die sometimes. Could this be because of the mousepad? I have a high quality mouse.

Also, would anyone recommend the atlantic gaming desk? It looks cool, like something I could really use. The biggest problem with my current desk is the 27" monitor is definitely too large for it. Currently, my keyboard and mouse are situated under a roll-out keyboard tray, and they are awkward to maneuver, my hand rubs against the desk sometimes.
core i7-6700k @4.7 GHz
Predator 360 cpu&gpu
16 GB DDR4@2800 MHz
ASUS Z-170 PRO GAMING
256 GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO
500 GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO
GTX 980 TI ASUS STRIX
ACER XB270HU 2560x1440 @144 hz
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 9:49pm
================================
excerpted from
http://www.pcworld.com/article/240939/mechanical_keyboards_should_you_switch_.html

1) Depending on what you use with your PC, a mechanical keyboard could help you type more quickly and more accurately, and it will last far longer than a standard PC "rubber-dome" keyboard will.

2)
A mechanical keyboard uses actual, physical switches underneath the keys to determine when the user has pushed a key. Press a key, and you press its switch down. Press the switch down, and the keyboard sends a signal to the PC telling it that you pressed that key.

3)
At first, this design doesn't sound so remarkable. After all, you already have a keyboard, and you can tell when you've pressed a key: You push one down, and a letter pops up on the screen. Take a second, however, to think about how you know you've pressed a key--it's probably because you've pushed the key down as far as it will go, only after which do you see something happen on your PC.  ... (A non-mechanical keyboard) doesn't give you as much tactile or audible feedback when you press a key, which can change the way you type.

4)
Each keystroke feels more pronounced and intentional on a mechanical keyboard than it does on a lesser keyboard, and the increased physical feedback from the keyboard lets your brain know when you've pushed each key hard enough that you can move on to the next one.

5) Mechanical switches are certified to last longer than rubber-dome switches pretty much across the board, regardless of the manufacturer.
=================================
funeralpyre88,

I am very happy with my Logitech G710 Plus mechanical keyboard.  I started with the IBM classic Model M keyboard back in 1985, so I prefer a more tactile keyboard.

I cannot tell you about the advantages/disadvantages of the Cherry MX Brown, the Cherry MX Red, the Cherry MX Blue, or even the older Cherry MX Black.  Basically, the differences are in the required actuation force, and whether the mechanical switch is more "clicky". 

The following link will tell all you need to know about the types of Cherry mechanical switches.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/ 

Hope this helps you.
HAF-X, i5-4670, 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 780Ti, 512GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD, 1 TB Western Digital Black, Noctua DH-15
 Post Reply Post Reply