FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiboot (refind)

Post Date: 2016-08-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
argo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote argo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Multiboot (refind)
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 12:39am
Hello Digital Storm users,

I have purchased an Apollo computer in May/June this year.

For me, it's more than a gaming system. It's also intended for professional use, so I basically need to dual boot it. For that, I have recently purchased a Samsung 850 Pro (2TB).

I plan to divide my storage space as follows.

Boot drive:
- 850 Pro, 2/3rds allotted to Windows 10.
- 850 pro, 1/3rd for Ubuntu Linux.

Data drive:
- 850 EVO, 512GB, to host virtual machines, and shared files.

So far, so good. Now my problem/question.

The PC has a UEFI Bios (American Megatrends). How do I pipe a bootloader to that? How can I install refind, or any OS selector after the BIOS portion?

In advance thank you for your help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 2:17am
I have not multi boot in a while so I'm little dusty but when you install 2 os on a drive correctly at boot up you get an option to choose which os you want to boot from without any other software needed.

if you want rEFInd, depending on your os you can try installing it from windows or linux in your case. On windows 8 there are issues with both multi boot and installing rEFInd, with windows 10 installing rEFInd is not recommended.

on linux you can install rEFInd, tho I have not done it myself.

Personally if I need to work on 2 or more OS nowadays I use a drive for each os, its much easier, I don't have to worry about corrupt bootloader, something happens to the drive I lose all my work on both OS, etc. All I do whenever I want to load a different OS is hotswap another drive or if the drive is internal go into bios and pick the drive that has the OS I want as the boot drive, disable the other drive/s that have other OS on them and then boot. (if you don't disable the other drives when OS boots it will change the drive letter of the other drives). Hot swap and external drive bays are the easiest way of doing it.Just an idea.

If you still want to use one drive why not use EasyBCD?

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Aug 2016 at 5:17am
argo View Drop Down

Quote argo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:19pm
Thank you. I am familiar with refind. I have worked with a triple boot for a long time actually, on Windows 10 since early preview releases (with Ubuntu and OSX Yosemite; that was on a MacMini).

I am not scared about any such problem. SSD are durable beasts, and my data partition is on an external Raid.

My concern was more along the lines of: is the American Megatrends BIOS an actual EFI App?

I am receiving a bit of tech support about that. If it's not, then it's a no brainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply