Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jake N. View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jake N. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help picking a pc
    Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 5:43pm
Budget:
I am looking to spend around 2k to 2.5k

Expectations:
I am new to the PC world and am making the switch from console gaming. I want to be able to play any game(mainly FPS) smoothly without running into any issues.

Usage:
Mainly gaming, but also general web surfing and the occasional word document.

As I said, I am new to the PC world and do not know much in terms of what I need. I have been looking between the Velox and Lumos and do not know where to start. I plan on playing games like Fortnite, Overwatch, PUBG, Battlefield and other random games and I want a computer that can handle them without issues.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:24pm
Hey there! Try this config out: 1862907

It's on the high side of your budget but should be able to crank out most the games you mentioned at 1080p max/high settings and near 100FPS. The only exception is PUBG which you may see some irregular FPS but that's mainly because the game isn't the best when it comes to optimization AND you should still get more than 60 FPS on average.

This config would also be able to run your games at 1440p should you decide to get one at some point.

You may also want to swap out the power supply as that's one component you shouldn't skimp out on. You don't need more wattage per say, but I usually go with trusted brands like Corsair and EVGA.

For some extra context on some of the parts; the biggest driver of gaming performance is your GPU or graphics card. The 1070 is a beast of a card but is also quite a value for your money type of deal.

The next major contributing factor is your CPU. The 8700k is arguably the best gaming CPU on the market now due to its fast core clock speed which is most beneficial in single threaded applications like most games. The 6 cores here makes the CPU a competent streaming component as well.

I chose an M.2 Drive for your boot drive as there really isn't anything comparable in performance. Even SSDs can't match M.2 performance.

You don't really need more than 8G of memory for gaming, but there have been some games that have pushed that limit such as Rise of the Tomb Raider. 16G is to give you some headroom.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Edited by Marshy22 - 06 Mar 2018 at 6:42pm
Jake N. View Drop Down

Quote Jake N. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:20pm
Awesome, thank you for the help. What is the main difference between the lumos and the velox? Is it just the case or is it build options or what?

Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:58pm
The cases are indeed different with the Velox being slightly larger which in theory should provide better airflow/cooling. One big difference is the orientations of the machines. The Lumos is in a standard orientation which means the glass window showing your parts will be on the left. The Velox is using an inverted orientation, so the glass that displays your parts will be on the right. Note: this would also mean your components would be upside down. Essentially this difference comes down to your personal desk configuration and I guess whether or not you can stand looking at your GPU and other components upside down.

I didn’t see any other major differences as it seems you can have the same parts in either config.
Jake N. View Drop Down

Quote Jake N. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:37pm
Another question.. Would i see a big difference in gaming performance if i chose to go with a I7 over the I5?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 4:56pm
For gaming, probably not. But, if saving a few bucks is why, then I suggest getting the i7-8700, non K, instead. You keep the added threads, 6 vs 12, and the Turbo clock speed is better. Clock speed will help in gaming and the added threads help with most apps, Windows, etc.

The K in 8700K is for additional overclocking which you probably don’t need.

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Mar 2018 at 4:58pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 12:06am
I agree with bprat the i7-8700 is a good way to go. Even though it's stock at 3.2Ghz, it Turbos on the first core all the way to 4.6Ghz if needed, and that's a really good number for gaming.
Jake N. View Drop Down

Quote Jake N. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:44pm
Hello all,

After some thinking and talking with my other half, I think I have the go ahead to spend a little extra money on my setup. I was speaking with some friends and they said that if I was able to go with a 1080 or 1080 TI it would save me in the long run with that card being able to last me further than picking a lesser graphics card. Is this generally the case?

I have put together this build. (1869677)

I added the RGB fans but unsure if I will keep them in the final build.

Another question I had was which 1080 TI will I be getting? They have listed the MSI Armor series as one of the possible cards they will use. I have looked at a lot of reviews online and they all generally have the same opinion about that card with it being it's overheating issues. Can anyone shed some light on this or which card they received in their build?

Thanks again,
Jake
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 6:09am
We do not recommend the overclocks. On the CPU the danger is that the V-core voltage is higher than it needs to be for long life of your processor. On the GPU, you have already raised the issue of heat, an overclock gives you more of that. The 1080 cards across the board generate a lot of heat, but the built-in fans handle that. Generally speaking the oc on any video card will not give you performance you will ever notice, but it may shorten the life of your card.

Paying all that extra for a 1080Ti may not be the best idea right now, especially if you're looking down the road for longevity. The next generation of Nvidia cards will be out soon, and they may well take another quantum leap forward. My advice: get the least expensive card you can that will give you good performance right now (at 1080p that would be the 1060), and save those bucks for a next gen upgrade in a year or two.
 Post Reply Post Reply