FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Monitor Help

Post Date: 2017-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SwizzleStick View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SwizzleStick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Monitor Help
    Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 4:51am
Budget:
500 or less

Usage:
80% gaming (Battlefield, COD, The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands ect) The other 20% will be streaming netflix, general surfing, youtube ect.

Specifications:
Just a couple of hours ago I went ahead and bought a Vanquish 7 tier 4. However at this point all I have is a 32 inch hd tv that my xbox one is hooked up to. I will use it if I have to for a while, but I know it won't do my new system any justice. Having dropped 2k on this desktop I really don't want to hamstring it right out of the gate. I have very limited PC experience (honestly expecting to be told I shouldn't have gotten the setup I did) Any and all help narrowing my search will be very appreciated.

I was looking at an AOC Agon241QG for $400, as it's a highly rated gsync monitor but again I'm very out of touch with the pc world.
Semper Fidelis
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:04am
You picked the right Vanquish for 1440p screen resolution.   The gtx 1080 is the recommended for that screen.

I personally would rather have an IPS monitor for its better colors, but some prefer the TN like you picked for faster response. They all work.

Not familiar with AOC.   ASUS and Dell monitor’s are my first picks, but I really haven’t kept up with all the changes lately.

Quote SwizzleStick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:16am
Good to know I at least got something right

The stuff I've read (which admittedly should be more) about monitors said faster response was the way to go. I'm not at all set on what to get. I'm not sure what resolutions are ideal for the system I bought, what size screen (unless it's just personal preference), or if there are brands to avoid. The only thing I am 'relatively' sure of, is that I need a Gsync capable monitor for the graphics card to perform optimally.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check those out
Semper Fidelis
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:48am
Gsync is a good way to go, the monitor matching frames to the graphics card instead of the other way around, so to speak.  Nvidia cards, like your gtx 1080, is for Gsync.     

There are so many monitor picks that whenever I get around to a new one I'll be spending days researching.  

Let us know your pick.  Big%20Smile

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by bprat22

There are so many monitor picks that whenever I get around to a new one I'll be spending days researching.  

Let us know your pick.  Big%20Smile

Oh no. That doesn't bode well for us mere mortals!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 9:11am
LOLBig%20Smile
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 2:38am
Sooo many monitors. In only days. Whoa How, master?Confused
S4murai View Drop Down

Quote S4murai Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:06am
I'd say that AOC is a pretty good pick. 165hz, gsync, 1440p, nothing going wrong there. Unless of course you would rather have a 27" screen, granted those are pricier.

That monitor does have hdmi and display port as its video ports, no dvi; so you will be wanting to use the display port cable it comes with to make use of the high refresh rate.

If you haven't experienced a 144hz+ monitor yet, you are in for a eye candy treat.

Edited by S4murai - 30 Dec 2017 at 7:12am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 12:21pm
Just wanted to say stay away from refresh rates that you can get to via oc, always go with the native refresh rate not the oc

Quote SwizzleStick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 1:42pm
After a bit more reading I think I might have to break out the piggy bank and go with something like the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q or ACER Predator XB271HU. I've been reading that they are considered the 'sweet spot' for 1440p/144mz+. My biggest hesitation about them is the slower 4ms response times (although almost double the price of a 24" monitor doesn't help).

Having exactly zero experience, is the response time difference really something that is noticeable? Or is it more something for a competitive (read pro) gamer to worry about?
Semper Fidelis
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 1:55pm
Swizz do yourself a favor and go visit TFTCentral and get a little understanding.

So first you need to decide if you want a 60hz monitor or 144hz monitor.

Next decide on resolution and size, higher the resolution the better the image details.

Then decide on tn or ips panel, ips has best image quality but some complain of bleeds, I and few other ips owners don’t notice that stuff and stick with our ips, some go tn.

With ips you have the best image quality and viewing angles. (no need to center yourself in front of the monitor.)

With tn price is lower, but you have to center yourself in front of the monitor, image quality is no where near ips.

You will hear tn owners sight lots if reviews on line about bleeds and etc for ips but you will not hear us ips owners on this forum actually have those complaints or they are not noticeable to us, which means they don’t matter, so take all reviews with a grain of salt.

So decide those 3, Panel, refresh rate (60hz vs 144hz), and resolution.

The gtg response time is bs, so is contrast. Don't pay attention or compare those.

Go here and look at the specs, look at Resolution, Panel Type, Response Time, Viewing Angles and Refresh Rate, and then look at the rest.

Edited by DST4ME - 30 Dec 2017 at 3:04pm

Quote SwizzleStick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:47am
I'm down to 3. And this post is as much for anyone else in my position as an update.

AOC Agon AG271QG $600
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q $750
ACER Predator XB271HU $700

All 3 are virtually identical. They share the same technical specs, they all have both great and terrible customer reviews. They all benchmarked quite well, each beating the others at least once (I read the tech reviews from Toms Hardware) The AOC requires the most fine tuning of settings to get the most out of it, but once that is done it is apparently great. All 3 have 24" variations if 27 is too big, or too exspensive.

The only seeming differences in them is price, design, and a few bells and whistles here and there (ie. presets, extra USB ports). AOC is a relative newcomer to the premium monitor market as well, which will turn a lot of people off.
Semper Fidelis
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 12:01pm
If it helps any, I can tell you that none of those you mention actually manufacture their own screens. So the quality control issues they all seem to have in a minority of panels belong to the manufacturers. I've been looking at these kinds of models myself, and it's too bad they all send out messed up screens from time to time. In reading the reviews on Amazon, I noticed some of the reviews are for a different model, so watch those headings! Don't know why they do that.

This is new tech (144Hz and G-synch) it seems. I'm gonna wait until it matures and see if QC gets more consistent. I realize that's not where you're at. Best perhaps to go 24" for a lot less money and upgrade later? Or... you can play panel lottery like everyone else is. Best wishes for a win in any case!

Quote SwizzleStick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
Thanks. Panel lottery I like that
Semper Fidelis
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:59pm
Tom's = run the other way

Acer comes with more recommendations than asus on this forum from users

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Dec 2017 at 6:02pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:41am
Acer Predator is one on my early list of new screens .      
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:06am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Tom's = run the other way
The preceding was an opinion that few share.

Someone may have had a bad experience... but remember, "The plural of 'Anecdote' is not data."

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 1:50pm
Snaike if you what is what then you know tom's is lob sided and full of bs, that is not an opinion that is a fact.

That is a fact that all knowledgeable people know and stay away, instead a credible site is anandtech, which again is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Those facts are based on quality of info on site, the way test are done, the quality of the tests, consistently of the tests and whether one brand is favored.

We spend a lot of time and effort educating members please don't make our work harder by saying places we don't find proper facts in as ok or my opinion.

Opinions are Dime a dozen, and I try to stay away from offering my opinion as much as possible. We don't recommend anything on this site bases on opinions that is tom's, we offer facts here.

From psu to gpu to ssd and etc, lot of time and research has gone into finding what is really better and why, based on facts like how is the memory stacked here or what controller, then looking at multiple benches from multiple credible sites, and each of those site's test benches have to be looked at in details, so lots of work to get the facts.

I'm sure at Tom's they tell you 960 pro is not worth it go 960 evo, we know better here and actual differences.

Fact that is an uneducated incomplete opinion instead of the facts.

Can you tell this is a important subject

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Jan 2018 at 2:06pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 2:33pm
seems that, and I could be wrong here, the above example is CUSTOMERS answering on the forums... such as here. Maybe their customer base isn't as smart as you want them to be, that's no reason to throw the baby our with the bathwater!    That would be akin to saying that DS wasn't a good builder because I answered a question wrong, or used my VERY limited knowledge.

Like I said.. to each their own.. I'm not a nerd or a geek (and I use those terms with the highest respect) and I find tom's to be an interesting place.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 5:36pm
DS is a builder, tom's is a supposed information site, can't compare the 2, as an information site, a forums/site is full of nonsense and bad info then it is not much of a information site as it is a misinformation site now isn't it.

That was just an example i provided facts are facts and facts are if you trust or believe tom's you will be let down with false partial info.

have you ever seen me, bp, justin, db188 reference toms?

Like I said people that know what is what know not to bother with tom's, Again I'm taking facts.

I can sit here and show you example after example from both site and forums but if you don't trust me then that is pointless, if you do trust us (me, bp, db188, justin) then trust us and forget tom's, for most accurate credible info spend your time on sites like anandtech or techpowerup.

where you see one Roach understand there 100s you don't, site or forums.

But again none of that has anything to do with the facts that tom's benches are lopsided and their info is incomplete or inaccurate or both.

The net is full of bs please don't make it more difficult for us to clear it up.

You often hear me say it is a team effort when someone thanks me on this forum and I say that because it is, without everyone on the same page and offering the same facts we can't do what we do
, you are part of that. You are of course free to do what you want, what we are asking for is a little help with what we do here to properly educate members, if you don't trust us about where you should go for proper info, at least help us with education of others.

Btw when I left tom's it was not because of bad experience, I left because I got tired of all the bs reviews and false/ incomplete info on forums and site, instead of the proper facts.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Jan 2018 at 11:35pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Acer Predator is one on my early list of new screens .      

Agreed. I wanna go 27" but not at current prices.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 3:18pm
@Snaike:

Think you should feel free to look where you like as long as you understand that their attention to proper science may not be valid all the time. DST and the folks he cites here have never been known to shoot from the hip. Research isn't that hard, but it does have to be thorough. In doing that, the braintrust here has found the most trustworthy places to find facts. In science- and that's what this is- you have to always guard against simply having your own opinion validated. Always consult multiple sources as the experts here do.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:46am
@Cretae:

I agree wholeheartedly!! This is why I have a bit of an issue when folks "in the know" or "braintrust" tend to dismiss another source of information out of hand. That's all. Read everything then form your own opinions, right?   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:29pm
I am sorry but that is not how it works , again 2+2=4 is not up for discussion or open to opinions.

Read bad info = endup with bad opinion.

Whether 1080ti is overkill for 1080p is not up for discussion or open to opinion. Which ssd is faster is not up for opinion, what can 8700k do is not up for opinion, these can all be answered with facts.

A site that says 2+2 =5 is not a source of information, it is a source of misinformation.

You look at multiple sites to confirm the results, and you will find credible sites offer around the same results, Offering you proof.

Opinions are used only in absence of facts.

The reason you see me, bp, db, justin others say the same thing is simple we all looked at 2+2 saw that it = 4, so now when asked we say 2+2 =4, that is not our opinion we offer.

The net is full of false ir bad info, we try to direct customers to the sites that offer correct full info and facts.

The only reason you see me say go to anandtech and not tom's is because of the info offered, one offers correct full info and the other doesn't.

I don't think i can explain myself any better. Our #1 priority here is the offer facts not our opinion as much as possible, an in case of pc parts performance we xan answer with facts most of the time.

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Jan 2018 at 12:37pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:31pm
Snaike, I think you just missed my point a "leetle" bit. I'm all for info gathering, but it's gotta be GOOD info. We can trust the guys "in the know" here to know where the good info is found, because they've researched it for us.

Originally posted by Snaike

@Cretae:

Read everything then form your own opinions, right?   

Right! But as DST has made clear, opinions aren't facts. I may like the 1070Ti better than the 1080 for all kinds of reasons of my own choosing, but I can't decide it's gonna perform better, because facts say different. That goes to my point about thorough research. If done right, YOU become the expert that can tell the BS from the facts! If we're not good at that or don't have time, we should trust those who HAVE done the research to know where to find it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:29pm
Exactly my point

I think we all expressed our points, lets move on.

Lol we took over the op's thread.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
Hey, I'm a semi-pro horse beater, Y'all. 'Specially if they's daid!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply