FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New GTX Titan X in SLI, but with what monitor??

Post Date: 2016-07-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New GTX Titan X in SLI, but with what monitor??
    Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 5:52pm
I am glad I waited to purchase my next monitor (which is going to be paired with my new Hailstorm 2 PC build from Digital Storm). After chatting with John (Digital Storm) via emails, I'll be delaying my PC purchase until DS receives their shipment of nVidia's new GTX Titan X video cards. The delay may only take up to 2 to 3 weeks.

With that out of the way, I am now reconsidering buying a 27 Inch monitor with 1440p and 144mhz (I was going to get the 27" ACER Predator with g-sync/1440p/144mhz/IPS screen). Why?? Because the power needed to run a 4K based monitor with great FPS (from 100-150 FPS, for example) is certainly possible and most likely probable now with these new Titan X Pascal Based cards. So, this leads me to ask - what monitor out there should I consider buying taking in the fact that the GPU power of dual Titan X cards is a reality? Do I stay with 1440p or go with a 4K? For personal reference, I really like the 27" monitors as it fits my gaming needs. Anything bigger is not really something I'd like to do. A 27" monitor is the monitor sweet spot for me.
Thank you, everyone, in advance for reading and commenting. :)

{{{***Side Note: I read today via an article I found online, that nVidia is NOT going to allow any outside manufacturers to make their own version(s) of the new Pascal based Titan X. In other words, no EVGA or Asus or MSI etc Pascal based Titan X cards will be released. nVidia is selling this as a straight from nVidia card while allowing only a select few custom PC builders to have some to be used in their custom built systems. Digital Storm appears to be one of the fortunate custom builders, however, so good news for us lol.***}}}
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 6:07pm
there is no monitor currently available that will do the Pascal Titan X justice.  wait for the new 4k@120Hz capable monitors available in the coming year (some quite early from what i've heard).  

you're wasting money on all that graphics power if you do anything less than 4k+.  that is the niche you have spent all that money on.

Edited by db188 - 26 Jul 2016 at 6:09pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 6:36pm
db188, thanks for the reply.

I know the phrase "future proof" isn't really "future proof" as it pertains to PCs because the technology ladder is climbed so fast. It seems that a good PC is often called "old technology" within six months to a year. And, rest assured, despite me buying the type of PC I have in regards to power and with all of the latest hardware, this is it for quite a few years for me after this purchase. If there is an upgrade in the near future for my set-up, it will be the monitor. Everything else will keep me happy for a long time. For reference sake, I bought the PC build that I did for several reasons. As a hobby of mine, I also am an amatuer astronomer and my PC will be carrying the load to capture (in real-time) meteors, comets, planets, solar flares, etc. My scope will be hooked straight in to my PC or laptop to be then used with software where I can capture or follow orbits. Gaming isn't the only reason why I bought the PC I have. :)

But again, this PC will hold me over for several years. This is the only reason why I went the route that I did. Due to a few personal things that occurred the last 8 yrs, I had been out of the loop with everything PC related for about 6 yrs. Sure, there is that feeling of 'having the latest and greatest', but that is not at all my motivation.

I'll go with a 1440p with 144 refresh rate at first I think. Then when 4k monitors with a refresh rate of 144mhz is released, then I'll buy that. 4k with a 60mhz refresh rate just isn't as nice as 1440p with 144 refresh rate. That is my opinion, however.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:42pm
no problem, i agree that 4k right now is limited, so for right now the sweet spot is 2k/1440p (i've got a 27" IPS as my main).  

i took astronomy w/lab in college and it was really interesting and fun.  we actually had a small observatory with a 7" refractor telescope, 14" Schmidt–Cassegrain telescope on campus to use.  also went to a couple of park gatherings for extra credit.  i'm sure your pc will give you endless hours of enjoyment with your favorite pastime. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 8:00pm
It will indeed, lol.
Yup, im going with the one i had planned on getting - 27inch IPS panel, w/G-sync, 144hz, 1440p, 4ms latency. Once more 4k monitors are built with 144hz refresh rate. I'll be ready to buy it. Until then, Im going to enjoy my beast. lol. I mean regardless of 4k monitor now or not, my PC will give me the beauty it is designed and built for. Thanks again!! :)
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 5:32am
We don't know how the Titans Perform in game so that info is crucial. I definitely would not go as far as saying that anything under 4k is a waste of those cards, because there is currently no dual card set up in existence that can max settings at 2k and consistently maintain triple digit frame rates in every game.

In order for the titans to pull off such a task at 2k, let alone 4k, they would have to be orders of magnitude more powerful than the 1080's. Until we see reviews, especially DX 12 reviews for the Titan X, we won't know for sure. I definitely would not discount going with 2k right off the bat.

That being said, if there is anything that is going to power a 4k set up at the best possible frame rates, it's sure as hell going be Titans.

P.S. I'm a frame rate whore, so your results may vary.

Edited by Invader Mig - 28 Jul 2016 at 6:27am
Xenecus View Drop Down

Quote Xenecus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:25am
Titan SLI is most definitely the only solution that can potentially max out every game at 100/144 FPS to take advantage of the native refresh rates for high end monitors...

I have 1080's SLI and while it plays most games over 100 FPS, it falls a bit short of maintaining that in every triple A title and I'm talking 3440x1440, not even 4K....

So if you have the money and 4K gaming is your thing, there's no way in hell 1080 SLI will push 100 FPS in 4K (when the high refresh 4k monitors get released)...

I myself thinking of returning the 1080's for Titan's for this same reason...If you're into games 2400 for video cards is a ton of money but it will last for years!

Having said this, I'm basing on these cards being as fast as some early bloggers claim.... anything less than 30% faster than a 1080 is just not worth it....

Edited by Xenecus - 28 Jul 2016 at 7:26am
Velox | i7 6850x @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Rampage V E.10 | Titan X (Pascal) SLI | 32GB DDR4 | Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Raid 0 | 1200W AX1200i| H20: HydroLux PRO | Win 10 |
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 2:06pm
Another thing to note is, unless you're going water, or Nvidia will allow AIB's to start selling titans, TI's out perform Titans on air with OC's. If these Titans are anything like the old ones, the reference coolers are woefully ill equipped to handle any real OC without throttling. Something to think about.
Xenecus View Drop Down

Quote Xenecus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 9:54pm
We don't even know they will offer a TI....
Velox | i7 6850x @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Rampage V E.10 | Titan X (Pascal) SLI | 32GB DDR4 | Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Raid 0 | 1200W AX1200i| H20: HydroLux PRO | Win 10 |
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Xenecus

We don't even know they will offer a TI....

Lets be honest you don't even care if they do, you want sli titan and that is the end of that isn't it? and if so then so be it, personally I hope you have something that actually needs that kind of a setup, otherwise more power to you man, get what makes you happy, I would get 4 of them to be honest    But I actually put them to use like a mule.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Jul 2016 at 10:01pm
Xenecus View Drop Down

Quote Xenecus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 5:44am
Nope I do care... I have a setup with 980Ti;s not Titans.... but timing is everything...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Xenecus

Nope I do care... I have a setup with 980Ti;s not Titans.... but timing is everything...

Most times, I don't think anybody will disagree with that
 Post Reply Post Reply