New High-End Rig Advice - Cost Not Too Important

Post Date: 2017-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blueandblack View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New High-End Rig Advice - Cost Not Too Important
    Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:07am
Budget:
Up to $4,000

Expectations:
No real limitations - no need for video editing, however, but perhaps some audio editing

Usage:
Daily

Special Needs:
Prefer quiet

Saved Ticket #:

Specifications:
Wireless

New the forum and new to DS, but it's nice to see such a great support network. Appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Rig will be used with a Dell U3818dw.

Some questions on the config above, and generally. Feel free to reply in-line or otherwise and to some or all of them (no need to address all questions if you just have thoughts on one or a few).

1. Case: Anything wrong with the case I chose. Don't have a need for expansion, and I like the idea of something quieter, although it's too bad that it doesn't have a clear side. I also like something slightly understated, and I like the dust filters. I also figure Corsair build quality is decent. Any other suggestions?

2. Motherboard: I really have no clue what to do here. I need fast wireless, and I liked the M2 heatsink. I think ASUS also has one of the best ratings in terms of reliability. Any thoughts here? Probably won't ever SLI (more on that below).

3. DS Brands: Anyone know what brands or what to expect from DS equivalents in RAM and HD? Specifically, I'm looking at the equivalents for what I've chosen on the above configuration.

4. Power Supply: Is 1000w complete overkill? Any downside to more power? Seems like SLI is getting phased out, so maybe don't need to think about that for the future. Overclocking is a consideration (more on that below).

5. SSD: Any opposition to the SSSD M.2 1TB Samsung 960 EVO? I prefer a larger SSD to two drives, and I think 1TB should do it for my needs - by the time it doesn't (if that time ever comes), prices will be lower. Anything better I should consider? Any reason to consider DS' brand?

6. Restore: I would really like to be able to simply restore the computer to original DS settings if anything happens to it, and I can't recover from it (e.g., aggressive virus). Doesn't seem like DS offers much here other than the Windows CD - any thoughts?

7. GPU: GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB - seems like it offers the best performance/value ratio at this point - any other thoughts?

8. Liquid Cooling: I really have no idea what to do; have built many computers in the past - none with liquid cooling. I just went with what seemed like the best performance/value ratio (admittedly, somewhat based on the fact that it was midrange priced) - any thoughts? Anything I need to consider for an overclocked GPU or does that cool itself sufficiently?

9. Noise Suppression: Do you think noise suppression Stage 1 is useful with this case and setup? Or am I wasting money? Do you think it's better to go with noise suppression Stage 2 and do a different case? If the latter, do you think that would that give me even more noise suppression?

10. CPU Boost: Anyone have general thoughts on CPU Boost relevant to this configuration (maybe the answer depends on liquid cooling options).
I'm concerned about reliability, and I'd like the rig to last for a while - I know that there seem to be mixed feelings on the forum about DS' CPU overclocking, particularly Stage 2. I know very little about overclocking, but I'm tech proficient and not particularly scared to try it myself with guidance. If I do that, is it a "set it and forget it" thing or do I constantly have to monitor it? The less admin I have to do, the better.

11. GPU Boost: Can the GPU actually be boosted here? Is it worth it? Any cooling concerns? Seems like the liquid cooler only covers the CPU.

12. OS Boost: Any thoughts on OS Boost - seems worthwhile, but maybe not.

13. OS: Any reason to go with Windows Home? Seems like the cost difference could justify Windows Pro - are there any stability gains with with the latter?

Again, I very much appreciate your advice!!!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:29am
Here is the build from the OP:

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G2
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Now we just wait for the config gurus to show up!   

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:10am
Thanks, Snaike!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:17pm
Welcome to DS and the forums! Nice build.

I'll try to answer a few of your concerns until we get some help.

2. At this price point, I think you've chosen a great board. Nice features, reliable, but not overkill.

3. DS ram is quality branded, just not the top-end. Can vary depending what's available in quantity. IDK if you need 32 GB for occasional music editing, but won't need that much for gaming.
We like to recommend Samsung SSDs as they are the best out there right now.

4. That PSU on sale is a good deal at this price point. High quality and lots of head room.

5. Recommendation would probably be the 960 Pro. Top of the line in 1TB M.2 SSD.

6.Under "Recovery Tools", you can get the WIN CD plus the factory reset, but they'll use some of your storage for that. IDK if it'd be 50GB, that seems excessive to me. Look there

7. That's the GPU you want IMHO. (Killer monitor BTW)

9. We never recommend the noise suppression. "Trap noise, trap heat" DST4ME always says.

10. DS OC is not recommended. Look at the Config post "New Comp, 2K Budget" about in the middle of the thread. Explains it well. See what you think.

11. GPU boosts are marginal and can shorten life. You got a beast already!

If I didn't address it, then I don't know. Most all of my post is forum orthodoxy with some personal opinion thrown in. I'm no newbie, but others know more and will be along. I wanted you to get some ideas in the meantime, and esp. point you to that thread.

Edited by Cretae - 14 Dec 2017 at 1:19pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:29pm
Before I answer your questions there is somethings to discuss.

A. If you want performance then you gonna get noise, try to trap that noise in the case and you will trap the heat also, so that is obviously not the best way.

The only true way to keep system quiet is to put the whole system under lc using quiet custom fans. Very expensive.

B. I see you have choosen highest oc and talking about gpu oc, what is all this very noisy power for? Is audio that much of a resource hog?

C. What is this system going to be used for?

1. It is up to you, keep in mind more room = easier to work with, more open/fans = better temps.

2. Actually we are not crazy about asus, specially their customer service, but it is ok, and choices are few here.

3. DS brands change, adata might be ram and liteon might be the ssd.

4. No downside, just cost,.

5. We like one drive also problem is with games drive fills up fast, and for games you want ssd so second sata ssd is best idea, for data storage get yourself something like wd red pro. Go with 960 pro for OS.

6. Windows cd is best option here, for best results simply clone your os drive to an external, that way instead of going back to first day you got the pc, go back to last Saturday ir sunday (whichever day you cloned your os drive last) clone is a duplicate of your current drive, you can just put it in and continue from the cloned point. Much better and more reliable and efficient.

7. Not really, that depends on your use, otherwise bringing a Nascar to f1, is not the best idea.

8. That is the best aio offered here, prepare to work on system anytime you choose lc. As for gpu, your answer to B will help clarify what is needed.

9. Refer to A.

10. Refer to A. And we will take it from there.

11. Refer to A.

12. No

13. I like pro, personal preference unless you have use for extra features.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Dec 2017 at 1:30pm

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Welcome to DS and the forums! Nice build.

I'll try to answer a few of your concerns until we get some help.

2. At this price point, I think you've chosen a great board. Nice features, reliable, but not overkill.

3. DS ram is quality branded, just not the top-end. Can vary depending what's available in quantity. IDK if you need 32 GB for occasional music editing, but won't need that much for gaming.
We like to recommend Samsung SSDs as they are the best out there right now.

4. That PSU on sale is a good deal at this price point. High quality and lots of head room.

5. Recommendation would probably be the 960 Pro. Top of the line in 1TB M.2 SSD.

6.Under "Recovery Tools", you can get the WIN CD plus the factory reset, but they'll use some of your storage for that. IDK if it'd be 50GB, that seems excessive to me. Look there

7. That's the GPU you want IMHO. (Killer monitor BTW)

9. We never recommend the noise suppression. "Trap noise, trap heat" DST4ME always says.

10. DS OC is not recommended. Look at the Config post "New Comp, 2K Budget" about in the middle of the thread. Explains it well. See what you think.

11. GPU boosts are marginal and can shorten life. You got a beast already!

If I didn't address it, then I don't know. Most all of my post is forum orthodoxy with some personal opinion thrown in. I'm no newbie, but others know more and will be along. I wanted you to get some ideas in the meantime, and esp. point you to that thread.

Thanks, so much Cretae! Here are some follow up thoughts to your responses above...

3. From what I can tell 16GB seems to be the sweet spot for gaming, though I thought I might be futureproofing by going with 32GB. It looks like you get maybe 1fps more with 32GB over 16GB for most games. I guess if I need more ram in the future, maybe it makes more sense to just buy it then when it becomes less expensive? I tend to browse with a ton of open windows, so maybe that makes sense?

4. I'll go 1000W in that case.

5. Is the 960 Pro (vs. Evo) actually faster? Or just more stable?

7. I'll go with the 1080ti.

9. Hmmm... now I'm at a crossroads. What do you recommend for a good case - don't need a ton of expansion.

10. OK - I'm not going with DS OC.

11. I'm not going with GPU boost either!

I very much appreciate your thoughts even if you aren't the leading expert here!

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Before I answer your questions there is somethings to discuss.

A. If you want performance then you gonna get noise, try to trap that noise in the case and you will trap the heat also, so that is obviously not the best way.

The only true way to keep system quiet is to put the whole system under lc using quiet custom fans. Very expensive.

B. I see you have choosen highest oc and talking about gpu oc, what is all this very noisy power for? Is audio that much of a resource hog?

C. What is this system going to be used for?

1. It is up to you, keep in mind more room = easier to work with, more open/fans = better temps.

2. Actually we are not crazy about asus, specially their customer service, but it is ok, and choices are few here.

3. DS brands change, adata might be ram and liteon might be the ssd.

4. No downside, just cost,.

5. We like one drive also problem is with games drive fills up fast, and for games you want ssd so second sata ssd is best idea, for data storage get yourself something like wd red pro. Go with 960 pro for OS.

6. Windows cd is best option here, for best results simply clone your os drive to an external, that way instead of going back to first day you got the pc, go back to last Saturday ir sunday (whichever day you cloned your os drive last) clone is a duplicate of your current drive, you can just put it in and continue from the cloned point. Much better and more reliable and efficient.

7. Not really, that depends on your use, otherwise bringing a Nascar to f1, is not the best idea.

8. That is the best aio offered here, prepare to work on system anytime you choose lc. As for gpu, your answer to B will help clarify what is needed.

9. Refer to A.

10. Refer to A. And we will take it from there.

11. Refer to A.

12. No

13. I like pro, personal preference unless you have use for extra features.

Thanks for the response, DST4ME! Here are some responses...

A. I didn't realize heat would be as much of problem with sound dampening. If I'm more concerned about airflow than sound suppression, does that mean I should not pay for dampening? I assume that means that I should also pick a new case... any thoughts? Probably not interested in making the whole thing lc.

B. I would like the ability to play games at max settings, but it sounds like DS oc is not the way to go, particularly because I don't need to push it that high for great performance.

C. See above. What case do you think is the best balance of reasonably compact but with great airflow and ease of use?

2. Anything better than the ASUSS board I picked out in terms of reliability? What do you like?

5. I'm going to go 960 Pro for OS and data - will just get the 1TB, which I don't think I will fill up - I can always buy more storage later.

6. Good advice - maybe I install all of the stuff I'll need (eg, Microsoft Office) and then create a clone.

7. Based on max settings comment above, I suspect you might change your mind here - maybe not... appreciate any further thoughts.

8. Is liquid cooling still useful if I'm not overclocking (or not significantly overclocking)? What kind of work are we talking about - I thought no maintenance was required?

Let me know if you have any new thoughts based on my response to A with respect to 9-11.

I'll go Windows Pro (without OS boost)...

Thanks for your help so far - making major progress here!
Katsberg View Drop Down

Quote Katsberg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:36pm
Just a question.. why not do an os boost?

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Katsberg

Just a question.. why not do an os boost?

My guess is that he said no to it because it's a simple at-home process to get the same effect (or you don't get slowdown in the first place).

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:32pm
By the way, it seems like my best options if Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q isn't a great option for airflow purposes (and someone correct me if that's not an accurate assumption) are the Lumos and Velox - any opinion on those two or why I might choose one over the other? Thanks in advance.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:15am
My problem with the 600q case is that it’s an inverted motherboard setup, meaning the mobo sits inverted to allow heats natural upward flow to exit the top. Problem is, that case has no top fans because the power supply is there.    Heat from the mobo and front mounted cpu cooler wants to rise into the video card unless the rear fan can exit it quick enough.    A better setup is the Velox or Lumos.

Either the Velox or Lumos will work with their very good airflow.   The Velox is an in-house design and an all metal case.   Very well built. Either work however.

Fyi....the 600q has a right facing window, not left like most.   Nothing wrong with it but your desk setup might matter.

Correction...meant the Velox has right facing window.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Dec 2017 at 3:28am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 6:19am
My agreeing with you on the 1080Ti is based on that huge monitor. Seems to me 3840x1600 is going to be demanding. I'm not sure a regular 1080 couldn't handle that, but the Ti is the one you wanted.

As for your ram question, 16 GB is more than you need for gaming right now, so it's future proof. Audio editing will benefit from more ram, but personally, I wouldn't pay all that more if you're not dedicated to that. (It's only gonna speed things up a bit.) I only see the Dominator at 32 and 64GB, but maybe you could still get the brand at 16 GB if you ask. Your personal decision, but ram is very expensive in the market place right now. I've had DS variety ram for over 7 years without a hiccup, and I'm trusting it for my new system.

DST's tip on cloning is terrific advice. I'll be following it when I get my new system for certain! (Yay,USB 3!)

As to case, you're at the personal taste crossroad seems to me. Price and left window vs right window. Since there's a window now, though, note the fancy light show thing is free on the sale!

Edited by Cretae - 15 Dec 2017 at 6:27am

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Cretae

My agreeing with you on the 1080Ti is based on that huge monitor. Seems to me 3840x1600 is going to be demanding. I'm not sure a regular 1080 couldn't handle that, but the Ti is the one you wanted.

As for your ram question, 16 GB is more than you need for gaming right now, so it's future proof. Audio editing will benefit from more ram, but personally, I wouldn't pay all that more if you're not dedicated to that. (It's only gonna speed things up a bit.) I only see the Dominator at 32 and 64GB, but maybe you could still get the brand at 16 GB if you ask. Your personal decision, but ram is very expensive in the market place right now. I've had DS variety ram for over 7 years without a hiccup, and I'm trusting it for my new system.

DST's tip on cloning is terrific advice. I'll be following it when I get my new system for certain! (Yay,USB 3!)

As to case, you're at the personal taste crossroad seems to me. Price and left window vs right window. Since there's a window now, though, note the fancy light show thing is free on the sale!

Thanks to both of you - just a few remaining questions...

Velox vs. Lumos - is that just a preference thing? Seems like Velox might be DS brand, but Lumos is something else - couldn't tell (maybe Lumos is the brand!).

And just to re-ask one of my questions above: Is liquid cooling still useful if I'm not overclocking (or not significantly overclocking)? What kind of work are we talking about - I thought no maintenance was required?

Thank you
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:00pm
The Lumos is the Corsair 570x.

The air cooler will work just fine with factory processor speeds, including Turbo.   The liquid all in one coolers do work better and keep the cpu cooler, but the difference between the temps doesn’t effect performance or longevity.    

The advantage of the air cooler is no worries of leaks, pump failure, etc.    Most liquid coolers should be problem free for 3-5 years, it’s warranty.

If the case allows the liquid cooler to be mounted under the top instead of the front, it will kick some of the heat out of the case, which is good.    

I’d take an air cooler if it does all that’s needed, but that’s me.

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The Lumos is the Corsair 570x.

The air cooler will work just fine with factory processor speeds, including Turbo.   The liquid all in one coolers do work better and keep the cpu cooler, but the difference between the temps doesn’t effect performance or longevity.    

The advantage of the air cooler is no worries of leaks, pump failure, etc.    Most liquid coolers should be problem free for 3-5 years, it’s warranty.

If the case allows the liquid cooler to be mounted under the top instead of the front, it will kick some of the heat out of the case, which is good.    

I’d take an air cooler if it does all that’s needed, but that’s me.

Thanks, Bprat! Two follow up questions:

The Lumos looks cool with the tempered glass - one question that has me thinking - the tempered glass in the front seems like it would stifle air flow, but someone probably smarter than me designed it, so I'm sure they accounted for that. Bprat22, if you are choosing between Velox/Lumos, which direction do you go?

Now I'm stressed about liquid coolers! If the thing leaks, does it fry the system? If the pump stops, does it overheat and fry or does it just shut off? Is there any indication that the pump stops (like a beep or something).

Finally, if I want to do a mild overclock (rather than the DS OC, which I think is off the table for now), it sounds like maybe I should think about liquid... which I suppose gets me thinking as to whether it's worth it to overclock at all.

Seems unclear whether I can put the radiator of the top of either of these cases - do you know? Seems like the mobo can be a limiting factor.

Appreciate your help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:24pm
The case bp covered.

Os boost was for xp when we had 4gb of ram and a single core.

A. Forget noise package, high performance means loud (depending) so either go for low noise or high performance.

2. Hard to say, normally higher price =better parts used which is supposed to last longer.

7. If 4k not then 1080 ti is good.

8. If you aio like h115i, no maintenance but yiu may need to replace it.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:25pm
As of right now I would pick Lumos over Velox because of its left facing window. I like Velox more and would pick that if I move my desk setup around.

Liquid coolers are very reliable, but do fail. We see it on occasion but never see air coolers fail.    Corsair units are reliable, so chances are you’d be good. If the pump fails the pc system will shutdown before cpu damage, supposedly. If it leaks you could get damage.   They say non conductive fluid, but that assumes no contamination.

I think the Lumos can take a 240mm rad on top, the 280mm needing to be mounted on the front. The Velox according to Alex can mount either on top.

If you overclock then I’d go h115i.   

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:32pm
IMHO, preference and price on the case. I would have loved to have the Lumos under my desk, but I had to get the Coridium option so I could put my DVD burner in it. She Who Must Be Obeyed requires me to burn cds from time to time.

It might be you're confused between liquid cooling and liquid cooling. The recommended CPU cooler (H115i) is a "liquid cooler", but it is sealed, self contained, and intended to be maintenance free.

The other "Liquid Cooling" referred to is the hydrolux custom tubing with pump(s) and reservoir(s) and colored coolant looking all snazzy and costing beaucoup bucks. I think that's the one DST referred to as needing regular maintenance.

Having defined the distinction, the AIO (all-in-one) coolers are intended to last a long time and be maintenance free, but nothing lasts forever and nothing never fails, so even with the H115i, you want to check it from time to time to make sure it's a-ok. Over-clocking or not, the H115i is just the best AIO we've got, and no CPU who ever lived didn't wanna be COOL.

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:34pm
I'm down to just a few more questions before pulling the trigger...

Case questiona bove re Lumos vs. Velox

Liquid cooler question about potential for damage and whether it even makes sense to overclock to get to max settings (or if regular turbo is enough).

If no water cooling - is the AIR; Stage 1 cooler a better option than the stock cooler? If so, I'd probably go that route.

Whether the DS Noise Suppression Stage 1 package is worth it (optimized airflow & fan speeds).

Almost there!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:36pm
Most times leak will not damage, don't worry about that.

I would stick with turbo oc 8700k does pretty good, we can help you higher if needed.

We have been told h115i can fit on top of both those cases but later we are told some configuration won't work but even tho i have asked, no one has told us which config

I like velox because it is full tower, window does not bother me
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 12:38pm

A. Forget noise package, high performance means loud (depending) so either go for low noise or high performance.

Go with h115i

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Dec 2017 at 12:39pm

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:06pm

Go with h115i

Even if not overclocking? Or are you saying I should do a mild overclock and get the h115i?

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by blueandblack

Go with h115i

Even if not overclocking? Or are you saying I should do a mild overclock and get the h115i?

And whether or not I overclock, if I decide to go air, does the Stage 1 air upgrade rather than the stock air cooler make sense?

Thanks!

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:42pm
Seems like the Stage 1 air cooler upgrade is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, which has pretty good reviews... I'm leaning towards this if you still think I'll be able to mildly overclock the 8700k with it and not get too hot.

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:56pm
I just realized ASUS Hero doesn't have Wifi - I need it. Do you think I go to to the MSI Pro Carbon AC? Any issues with that?

Or do I get an internal card?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 2:44pm
I would shop for a card but the mobo wifi is decent.

212 is a good cooler, and great with turbo, but if we need to oc your cpu past turbo it is better to be on the safe side and go aio, now in aio there are pump failure issues, to have the best chance of avoiding these issues we go with the latest model that has fixed previous issues, that would be h115i, it is the latest model, previous was the h100i.

The 212 might do well with say 4.2ghz across all cores but every cpu is different and we don't want to tell you to go 212 and then find out that won't do. So to be safe we go h115i.

Truth is that we had a great air cooler here (noctua) but because it was big, stupid ups kept delivering systems with noctua damaged (noctua was ripped off during shipping), so instead of complaining to ups, DS removed it from config.

If you are up to it, get the free cooler then order and install noctua yourself otherwise h115i.

Normally i would tell you to ask DS to use a particular part (custom) but in the case of noctua because of ups (upcrap) they won't warranty the system if ask them to use noctua.

It is for this reason i ordered DMM with h115i.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Dec 2017 at 2:53pm

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:03pm

I would shop for a card but the mobo wifi is decent.

212 is a good cooler, and great with turbo, but if we need to oc your cpu past turbo it is better to be on the safe side and go aio, now in aio there are pump failure issues, to have the best chance of avoiding these issues we go with the latest model that has fixed previous issues, that would be h115i, it is the latest model, previous was the h100i.

The 212 might do well with say 4.2ghz across all cores but every cpu is different and we don't want to tell you to go 212 and then find out that won't do. So to be safe we go h115i.

Truth is that we had a great air cooler here (noctua) but because it was big, stupid ups kept delivering systems with noctua damaged (noctua was ripped off during shipping), so instead of complaining to ups, DS removed it from config.

If you are up to it, get the free cooler then order and install noctua yourself otherwise h115i.

Normally i would tell you to ask DS to use a particular part (custom) but in the case of noctua because of ups (upcrap) they won't warranty the system if ask them to use noctua.

It is for this reason i ordered DMM with h115i.

Thanks - that all makes sense. Will DS accommodate custom orders? Do I just email for that?

Separately, what if I ship a Noctua to them without UPS?

I'm just nervous about this liquid cooling thing.
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:14pm
"I'm just nervous about this liquid cooling thing. "

the h115i is a solid unit- Corsair warentees it for for 5 yrs.
Apollo i7-7700 1070
Ordered: 2-12-17
Stage 1: 2-14-17
Stage 2 & 3: 2-16-17
Stage 4 & 5: 2-21-17
Stage 6: 2-23-17
Stage 7: 2-25-17

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:24pm
Yes, but it seems like it could be unclear as to whether they cover parts if the thing explodes in the case - is that not accurate?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:06pm
The problem with noctua is that if you ask DS to install it, they will not give you warranty on the system, remember your pc would be shipped to you with ups. Fedcrap would be the same results.

H115i is the best in corsair line but still Suffers from leaks and pump failure, its just luck of the draw.

Corsair warranty is only on corsair, it does not cover any other part.

DS's base warranty covers the whole system for the 1st year no matter what.

I think you are mistaking what i said about noctua with h115i

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Dec 2017 at 5:07pm
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:10pm
coolant non conductive should not blow anything up... every component has its tradeoff. As stated above somewhere- if not oclocking id take air cooled any day of the week.

No matter what you choose- just know that digitalstorm is a great choice to build your system. Just make sure everything is tightened down after you receive it- shipping can do wonders for screws.

I love the way DS packages their system-

Edited by gdead65 - 15 Dec 2017 at 5:18pm
Apollo i7-7700 1070

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:47pm
Thank you - final question... if I want to run all games on max settings (at high resolution)... do I need to overclock the 8700k CPU at this point.
gdead65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gdead65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:52pm
IMO- ur current setup is fine, but what res are u planning to Run 1080 or 1440?
Apollo i7-7700 1070

Quote blueandblack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by gdead65

IMO- ur current setup is fine, but what res are u planning to Run 1080 or 1440?

You're saying fine without overclocking? I'd want to run at the highest possible, which I believe is 3840 x 1600 for my monitor.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:49pm
Your CPU is fine at stock. It's the top gaming CPU out right now, and most people run it at stock. Overclocking it is not the key to settings and framerates. Your GPU will determine what settings you can run, and you have the top end there. The next better card, called the Titan Xp, is over $600 more for amazingly little performance gain. Google "1080Ti vs" and see for yourself. If you follow the advice your rig will blow you away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>