FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Rig for the Wife - Need help perfecting a rig.

Post Date: 2018-03-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Rig for the Wife - Need help perfecting a rig.
    Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:30am
Budget:
[Under $3k including taxes and shipping] Live in CA, land of insane taxes.

Expectations:
The rig will be used for both gaming and personal business. She runs her own graphic design company.

Games she plays are not FPS at all. Mostly strategy (Total War series), RPG (Kingdom Come Deliverance), Survival (Subnautica), and simulator (Sims 4, Cold Waters, War Thunder)

Usage:
50% gaming and 50% business on this rig.

Special Needs:
Her business uses large format on some projects such as large banners and company signs. Works with images at 4k and 8k resolution. Uses Adobe apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premire for video editing.

Does not need a video card in current config as I will transfer her GeForce 1080 TI from the old rig for her since no point buying a new one yet. Her card is a bit overkill for the games but she needs the power for her business. I know this saves over $500 from the price tag.

Have one M2 1TB Samsung Pro. Plan to have 512GB Samsung Pro for OS with second M2 the 1TB from the current rig. Also, she has two 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD drives would like to move over to the new rig. So need a mainboard that can handle two M2 drives and two SATA6 SSD.

Mainboard must have USB type C as she has one peripheral that uses this connection.

Will move over PCIe Sound BlasterX AE-5 to the new rig so real good audio on the mainboard is not necessary.

She loves colors in the rig especially Purple.

Specifications:
She uses two monitors. Her game monitor is 1440p 165hz Gsync monitor from Asus on display port. Her 2nd monitor is an IPS 4k monitor also on displayport. This monitor is not used for gaming but her work.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by blackcatfoe - 06 Mar 2018 at 9:31am
blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 2:41pm
Came up with this build.

Build: 1862734

Can the MB handle two M2 and two 2.5 SSD?
I see it has a USB Type C
16GB or 32GB for RAM?

Thoughts?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 7:12am
Don't care for that backordered status on the mobo. It looks like the Asus Prime X370-A has everything you need at $123 less. I'm seeing two M.2 sockets; 6 SATA ports for the 2 SATA ssd's plus 4 more as needed; and one USB type-c at the back panel.

I would definitely recommend 32 GB of ram for faster rendering in graphic design. Other than that, the internal lighting option has you covered. I have it, I think she'll like it. Many many variations.

I wouldn't take my word for all this, a quick phone call or e-mail to DS would confirm or perhaps even give you a better mobo choice.
 Post Reply Post Reply