FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newcomer needs help choosing

Post Date: 2016-11-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Elkabong109 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Elkabong109 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Newcomer needs help choosing
    Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:12am
I'm sort of torn between a Vanquish 5 Level 3 and an Apollo Level 1. I was shooting to keep the cost around $1500, but for another $300 I'm tempted to purchase the Apollo. I like the Vanquish, but it seems that the Apollo is definitely a step above and something I can upgrade for the forseeable future. Any thoughts. Thank!

And Happy Thanksgiving!
Wipeout View Drop Down

Quote Wipeout Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 7:19pm
interested in the replies to this :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 2:56am
As -is, without making any changes, the Vanquish has the stronger video card, very important, and the Apollo has an overclockable CPU and more storage.

Best bang for your buck is the Vanquish.   The Apollo, being fully customizable, gives you the option to select better power supply, motherboard, and most other components.    

The Vanquish is a few hundred dollars cheaper for similar performance because it's not as customizable and DS can prebuilt them to a degree with parts that can get deals on from the manufacturers.

They are both equally upgradable.   

Unless you're plan on spending more to select parts with better warranty, more efficiency, etc, get the Vanquish. They are good deals for tight budgets.

Hope this helps.

Quote Elkabong109 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 3:22pm
Actually that helps a lot. Taking the Apollo was pretty much a stretch in terms of what I'd like to spend. I just like the fact that it has liquid cooling, and all of my rigs in the past were fan cooled, to various degrees of success, lol. Though I couldn't spend much more than the lowest tier Apollo, it just seemed a better buy, but I completely get what you say about the Vanquish as a better value for the buck. Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 3:39pm
My pleasure..

Actually, in my opinion, one of the advantages of the Vanquish level 3 is its air cooler. While it's not a top tier air cooler, it does the job without the worries of pump failure, etc. with the liquid cooling.

The gtx 1070 in the Vanquish is a much stronger card than the gtx 1060 in the Apollo level 1, by about 30% or better. Here's a link comparing them....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1771?vs=1731

Quote Elkabong109 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:47am
Would you recommend upgrading the fan? They offer the Corsair airflow for another $99. Kind of expensive, but cooling has always been an issue for me, particularly in the summer months here in Texas lol.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:58am
Nope.  Use the $99 for a couple of games.  Big%20Smile

For your setup the stock fans are very good.  
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 1:48pm
Bprat is right, in my opinion on the fans. Stock fans will be fine when they don't really need much static pressure.

As time goes on, and you save up, you can buy some nice custom fans from companies like Corsair to help aesthetics and performance, but stock fans that are just pushing into open spaces will 100% fine.

Corsair has some really nice ML fans, now... their HD120 and SP120 RGB fans look amazing. All things you don't really need at all, but will be nice little upgrades later down the road to reduce noise and add some extra "flair" to your build.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply