FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Odd issue, can't solve it.

Post Date: 2017-01-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KammelTime View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KammelTime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Odd issue, can't solve it.
    Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:02pm
I have a Bolt 3

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard: ASUS Z97I-PLUS
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair
Power Supply: 600W SilverStone
Windows 10

A week ago, my Bolt 3 immediately shut off while gaming. No blue screen or anything. It happened again the next day, then stalled out for a while and refused to turn on for about an hour. This made me panic a little, so I consulted with DS support (I stopped gaming on it, since I also use it for work)

We ran some tests and noticed my GPU did get hot on the furmark test, hitting 91c before eventually crashing again (no blue screen; just instant off).

He suggested that buying a new graphics card could fix the issue, since mine was acting quite odd. I had a $300 Best Buy gift card, and with the ability to price match, I snagged a 1070 EVGA and decided to install it. My PSU has 2 6+2 power connectors, and the card only needs an 8 pin, so I only attached one obviously. The computer refused to power on.

I tried reseating it. No dice. I put my old 980ti in and booted back up with success. People with similar issues on the internet recommended updating my BIOS. So I did, once the update completed, it warned it would restart. When it tried to, it treated my old 980ti like it was the 1070 by not booting up at all.

It looks like this: I hit the power button and the fans spin for less than a second, the LEDs flash on, and then nothing. Neither card works. Now I'm fully screwed heh.

Unfortunately, my DS rep had to go on vacation, so it's get back in customer service line which will have me on the phone on Monday or Tuesday. Or open this weird situation to you geniuses. Hope someone can help me.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 4:03am
Hi KammelTime....   Sounds like a bad power supply, psu.   But it could be a graphics card or the motherboard.    

Leave both graphics cards out and see if it boots.   If it boots, then probably a bad card.   The chance of two bad cards is rather small but can happen. Problem with updating Bios is that a potentially new problem was introduced.

also try it with the flexible riser ribbon cable removed from the mobo.   It's the cable that connects card to the mobo.   

If it boots with cable and cards removed then try hooking your monitor to the motherboard integrated graphics port near USB/audio ports and test everything out.

If it doesn't boot even with cards removed then most likely a bad power supply.   Unplug the psu cables to the SSD/HDD to see if it boots. Checking for shorted drives.

To make things more confusing, it could still be a bad psu if it boots with cards removed, but a slimmer chance.

Generally, to sum up, if it boots without a graphics card, then a bad card. If it doesn't boot no matter what, then bad psu.

Hope this helps.

Quote KammelTime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 6:16am
Wow thank you for those tips!

So sorry to make it more complicated. I woke up this morning and tried to boot it with the d 980ti still in and it... worked. However, the pc will only boot into BIOS citing a CPU fan has an error. My pc has liquid cooling for the CPU, so I don't even think there is a fan.

Tips?

Edited by KammelTime - 21 Jan 2017 at 6:20am

Quote KammelTime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 6:32am
Well, i found a disable cpu fan detection setting in the Asus BIOS. So, that solves that problem. Now I'm able to boot to desktop just fine with the 980ti. Time to try those suggestions :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 8:51am
Yep, good find, that Bios cpu fan ignore is the fix for coolers not plugged into the mobo cpu_fan header.  You Bios update reset the Bios to default.  If you ha d a cpu overclock from DS, that's probably gone also.  They can email you the settings.

It working with the 980ti is great.  Is it fixed or are we back to it shutting off at time ?

Check the heats again in HWMonitor or whatever you used before.  Temps for the cpu and gpu should stay below 85C ideally, even the 70's.

Good luck and keep us updated.  Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 8:52am
Your liquid cooler does have a fan, 2 in fact,  mounted to the radiator to cool the heat it draws from the liquid.  

Quote KammelTime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:48am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi KammelTime....   Sounds like a bad power supply, psu.   But it could be a graphics card or the motherboard.    

Leave both graphics cards out and see if it boots.   If it boots, then probably a bad card.   The chance of two bad cards is rather small but can happen. Problem with updating Bios is that a potentially new problem was introduced.

also try it with the flexible riser ribbon cable removed from the mobo.   It's the cable that connects card to the mobo.   

If it boots with cable and cards removed then try hooking your monitor to the motherboard integrated graphics port near USB/audio ports and test everything out.

If it doesn't boot even with cards removed then most likely a bad power supply.   Unplug the psu cables to the SSD/HDD to see if it boots. Checking for shorted drives.

To make things more confusing, it could still be a bad psu if it boots with cards removed, but a slimmer chance.

Generally, to sum up, if it boots without a graphics card, then a bad card. If it doesn't boot no matter what, then bad psu.

Hope this helps.

Based on these tips, most signs point to there being a PSU issue. I could send this back to DS, but that would be 5 days shipping one way, shipping fees, etc. I really need this thing up and running ASAP, so I've ordered the exact replacement for the part on amazon and I'll be replacing the part with a friend on Monday. Will update.

Thanks bprat!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:59am
My pleasure. Good luck and let us know.   
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 11:26am
FYI, leaving both cards out and it booting could still indicate it's a bad PSU. Could have a power delivery problem and when it tries to power everything at one time, it "dies".
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply