FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the Fence about purchasing a new AURA

Post Date: 2016-12-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acuraice View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: On the Fence about purchasing a new AURA
    Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 8:56am
hello, i am very interested in purchasing a top of the line AURA model, but im hearing mixed reviews online about the screen quality, the cheap black plastic housing that gets marked with scratches easily and the built in power supply is too limited for future upgrades of graphics cards past 1080's. They also say although the monitor quality is nice, it's not amazing and is under 4k quality. Can u give me some info to help ease my worries about these issues im hearing?

Do you know if digital storm will be refreshing the AURA model soon? i don't want to buy one only to see a few months later a new model with better improved features and possibly a 140hz vs 60 hz refresh rate. If its true that a refresh will come next year, ill just wait for the newer model. Im fairly new to PC gaming and have for many years been gaming on imacs with Apple's bootcamp and various versions of Windows. My 27 inch imac with windows 10 is aging well but its definitely time to get something with real power so i can play games the way they are meant to be played.

Is the AURA a good Gaming PC for me?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 9:08am
I can't answer the questions, never having looked into the Aura.  But, do you need an AIO, all-in-one, computer ?   Any AIO will be very tight on internal space with a limited smaller power supply to fit the chassis.  Plus, a regular case, like even the Bolt if space is an issue, will offer more options like a larger psu, etc. 

The Corridium mid size case does give you many more options, flexibility and future upgrade options. 

Just me, but as nice as the Aura is, and it is popular, a mid size case will offer more airflow, more upgrade-ability and the monitor won't be tied to the pc.  You can compare and choose just the monitor you like. 

Nothing wrong with the Aura, but it does have baggage to be aware of. 

Just me.  Big%20Smile

acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 6:53am
thank you for your response. I tend to get confused at all the available options for the gaming towers vs the AIO Aura. Plus ive been using imacs for many many years and am very familiar with AIO's in that aspect. I just wanna make sure this model will last me at least 3-5 years of gaming until i need to start buying upgrades.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 8:51am
If you buy an Aura to fit your needs now, meaning the graphics card primarily, there's a good chance it'll be good for about 3 years before an upgrade is needed.  The rest of it, like the cpu and motherboard, usually stays relevant for 4-5 years.

As far as the display and the problems you mentioned, the problem with an AIO is that you get what you get and the display and pc part are all tied together.  If the monitor dies or you see another display you wish you had, you are stuck with the whole unit.  

That said, I'm sure most people find the Aura to their liking and wouldn't do much upgrading anyways. Big%20Smile 

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Dec 2016 at 8:52am
Osros View Drop Down

Quote Osros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:10am
Originally posted by acuraice

hello, i am very interested in purchasing a top of the line AURA model, but im hearing mixed reviews online about the screen quality, the cheap black plastic housing that gets marked with scratches easily and the built in power supply is too limited for future upgrades of graphics cards past 1080's. They also say although the monitor quality is nice, it's not amazing and is under 4k quality. Can u give me some info to help ease my worries about these issues im hearing?

Do you know if digital storm will be refreshing the AURA model soon? i don't want to buy one only to see a few months later a new model with better improved features and possibly a 140hz vs 60 hz refresh rate. If its true that a refresh will come next year, ill just wait for the newer model. Im fairly new to PC gaming and have for many years been gaming on imacs with Apple's bootcamp and various versions of Windows. My 27 inch imac with windows 10 is aging well but its definitely time to get something with real power so i can play games the way they are meant to be played.

Is the AURA a good Gaming PC for me?

No clue on the future of Aura but because of the monitor I am shying away from it. This is not a DS thing other PC makers are using the same monitor for there all-in-one models. Its a shame there is not a better option like a 100hz 1440p at least, if DS had it now SOLD in a heart beat I would order, but looking for a new PC and separate ultrawide with at least 100hz specs, will cost more of course but I cant settle for a ultra wide at 60hz.

Edited by Osros - 27 Dec 2016 at 10:12am
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 2:51pm
i understand the refresh rate is lower than 100 or 140 but i seriously doubt it will affect the gameplay at all at least not enough to bother me. Ive been playing the latest pc games on imacs for the past ten years. Just getting windows installed is a whore let alone getting the drivers that apple wont give u bc it doesn't meet their bs requirements. I was able to hack most of the amd installers to get them to install the latest drivers for my card against both amd's and apple's wishes. If only i could add a thunderbolt external gpu card to this imac, i wouldnt buy any new computer bc i wouldnt need one. this one still has tons of storage is fully optimized and looks and runs great on the imac's 27 inch 2650 x 1440 screen. But since that isnt an option i am forced to once again spend another $3k just to pc game for a few years on it but at least if i buy the aura i can upgrade it in the future instead of buying a new pc.

exactly my point. 60hz vz 140 hz. barely noticable differences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgHx3eMBXjI

Edited by acuraice - 27 Dec 2016 at 2:53pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:01pm
First off, keep in mind... Future GPU's coming out while most likely only sport even better power consumption and efficiency than the 1080. So if it can support the 1080, odds are it will be able to support many future generations of xx80 models.

As far as screen quality goes. You are right. It's not 4k. It's Ultra wide. It's 3440x1440p.

Stand widescreen is at 1440p is 2560x1440. Ultra is even wider running at 3440x1440. Now standard 1440p is known as 2k. ultra wide is a little different. It's quite tough to compare 4k to ultrawide 3440x1440p. Both are very high resolution that require very strong graphical power. The GTX 1080 can handle either of those resolutions. Neither is higher quality or better than th other (in my opinion).

The biggest thing here is the refresh rate. I believe the Aura uses a 60hz refresh rate. It might also be a TN panel. So fast response times.

I agree with Osros, the only down side to the Aura is it's 60hz refresh rate. That's why I prefer my ASUS ROG Swift PG347Q. It's also an ultra wide curved screen, but it boosts a 100hz refresh rate. I'm 99% sure DS went with this screen because it helps keep the pricing down. But trust me, if you're gaming at 3440x1440p, in almost every single new game, you'll be able to play at high settings at this massive resolution. You'll be over 60 FPS, but probably under 100 FPS in most games. Which is completely fine. So you probably won't encounter any screen tearing, due to the low refresh rate.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:06pm
thank you!! i agree completely. The power supply built in the aura is 450Watts which will definitely power the single 1080, and i would think in the future newer cards will be less demanding on power so it should be fine for many years of gaming. I have never built a gaming pc before but would think it would be easy to upgrade the power supply to a larger one by just plugging it into the screen somewhere but i could be wrong.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 3:35pm
Well, I mean you could also Jerry rig it, and leave the power supply outside of the monitor, on your desk. As long as your cable is long enough to reach the 24 pin (or 20 pin ... whatever it is on those itx motherboards), and everything else.

You can always buy custom cables also. Individual sleeved and colored... and get them extra long in length.

So yea. lol
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Osros View Drop Down

Quote Osros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 5:15pm
I just ordered my Bolt 3 and a Asus Ultrawide 34" compared to the Aura clearly spent $1099 (reduced price on Amazon for now) more than the Aura but besides the 100hz there are other reasons. If your one that dont care about 60 vs 100hz thats fine but there is a difference that is noticeable just depends on the person as well as your budget.

The Aura looks like a fine unit and if it was in front of me now Im sure I would be happy but to me its seems you maybe able to upgrade an item or two on the computer side but you cant do anything with the monitor and later on you may really want a 100hz or more and maybe other features. So now you want a new better monitor but your PC is stuck to the old one you got but thats just me.

Future monitor upgrade option would be nice if/when avail. And if there is a future firmware update that makes the 60hz to 75+hz the Aura will be a winner.

Edited by Osros - 27 Dec 2016 at 5:18pm
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 4:11am
all it would take is a simple firmware update to increase the refresh rate from 60 to 75 hz???? i didnt think that was possible.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 11:03am
No, firmware doesn't increase hardware capabilities. The only thing a firmware would do is possibly remove a block that keeps people from trying to overclock their monitors. Doesn't mean it'll handle anything over 60hz still.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
acuraice View Drop Down

Quote acuraice Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 2:34pm
recently reviewed by linus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfq3OAGJvTQ