FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Out of loop- Decided to purchase gaming pc

Post Date: 2015-12-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jdot View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Out of loop- Decided to purchase gaming pc
    Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm
Budget:
$800-$1300. i am willing to spend all of this on the computer itself. That is, I won't be purchasing accessories or a monitor out of this amount.

I have a monitor. This one actually: (wouldn't not let me link) But it's just a 22 inch LG, model number: LG 22MP56

I realize it's nothing too special, but I could potentially upgrade down the road.

Expectations:

I'm really just looking for a solid gaming computer. I have an MBP that I use for work related stuff. I'm not the type that needs to play the latest FPS on ULTRA settings. But at the same time- if spending an extra $200-300 would help future proof my system then that's fine. I'm actually getting this to play Pillars of Eternity, which I realize is not a demanding game. I haven't considered myself a pc gamer for probably a decade. So now that I've got the bug, I figure I might as well spend some extra money and get something "okay". For instance, I'd like to play Fallout 4 on high settings.

Usage:

Please see above under expectations. I will pretty much only be using this for gaming.

Special Needs:

Silly question... but I gather that this computer doesn't come w/ the ability to connect wirelessly to my router. I'll need this. We have very good internet here, and I have a nice apple router (imo). Anything wrong w/ just using the usb to connect?

Saved Ticket #:

N/A

Specifications:

I am looking at the Vanquish Level 2 or Level 3. I guess my concern is that I've read that the motherboard on the level 2 system doesn't leave much/any room for upgrading in the future. Is the level 3 much better in this regard though and worth the extra cash? I must admit I'm quite the newcomer to this stuff. What little I know I've learned from 4 or 5 hours of research in the last couple of days.

I've heard fantastic stuff about Digital Storm. Thanks!

Oh- and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Edited by Jdot - 25 Dec 2015 at 3:49pm
Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 2:53am
Hi jdot... The h110 motherboard in the level 2 is more barebones but neither it or the z170 in the level 3 allow sli if that's the expansion you had in mind.   The h110 also only has 2x DIMM slots for ram vs 4 for the other, but both can accommodate more ram than gaming needs.

The level 2 h110 doesn't allow for overclocking. The level 3 does, but the CPU in level 2 isn't a K chip for overclocking anyways.

The biggest difference between the lvl 2 and 3 for most would be the graphics card. The lvl 3 970 is about 40% stronger than the 960 and would be my choice if at all possible. The 960 will play Fallout 4 but the 970 does allow smoother play and is definitely stronger longevity as games get more demanding.

Neither have a wifi motherboard. A USB wifi adapter will work just fine.

The level 2 will play most games on medium to high and is a strong gaming rig for the price. The level 3 offers more and worth the extra money if the budget allows.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 7:06am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi jdot... The h110 motherboard in the level 2 is more barebones but neither it or the z170 in the level 3 allow sli if that's the expansion you had in mind.   The h110 also only has 2x DIMM slots for ram vs 4 for the other, but both can accommodate more ram than gaming needs.

The level 2 h110 doesn't allow for overclocking. The level 3 does, but the CPU in level 2 isn't a K chip for overclocking anyways.

The biggest difference between the lvl 2 and 3 for most would be the graphics card. The lvl 3 970 is about 40% stronger than the 960 and would be my choice if at all possible. The 960 will play Fallout 4 but the 970 does allow smoother play and is definitely stronger longevity as games get more demanding.

Neither have a wifi motherboard. A USB wifi adapter will work just fine.

The level 2 will play most games on medium to high and is a strong gaming rig for the price. The level 3 offers more and worth the extra money if the budget allows.

Hope this helps and good luck.

That's actually VERY helpful information. It seems like the level 3 is more than worth it for the price difference over the level 2. After my original post I did some more research, specifically on these forums. Now I'm trying to decide between the level 3 and level 4. (not much of a price difference there)

I note that through reading the forums that the level 4 used a better processor but w/ the 970. More recently, due to difficulty obtaining the i7, Digital Storm is keeping the i5 (for now) but added the 980 graphics card. I believe this would even be a better deal for gaming than the i7. So now I'm thinking I should hurry and perhaps order the level 4 while it has the better graphics card!

Thoughts on this?

Also- I'm not sure what "sli" meant so I had to google it. I really wasn't sure what I meant. It was just something in a review I read. Hey thanks again for all your help. I look forward to joining the party/cult that is Digital Storm soon!
Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 7:14am
I agree with you on the present level 4.  I'd rather have the stronger 980 and the i5 than the 970 with i7.  For gaming, the hyperthreading in the i7 doesn't do much right now.   

Best bang for your buck is the level 3.  The level 4 gives you more ram and the 980 which is about 20% better than the 970.    

If in the budget, get the level 4.  If its a tight squeeze on the wallet, the level 3 is excellent also.  I have a 970 with 8gb ram and play most games on max.   But, things will only get more demanding.

Sorry about the sli terminology.  We're so used to tossing sli, cpu, psu, mobo, around we forget not everyone is used to the shortcuts.  Big%20Smile
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 4:29pm

I agree with you on the present level 4.  I'd rather have the stronger 980 and the i5 than the 970 with i7.  For gaming, the hyperthreading in the i7 doesn't do much right now.    Best bang for your buck is the level 3.  The level 4 gives you more ram and the 980 which is about 20% better than the 970.     If in the budget, get the level 4.  If its a tight squeeze on the wallet, the level 3 is excellent also.  I have a 970 with 8gb ram and play most games on max.   But, things will only get more demanding.Sorry about the sli terminology.  We're so used to tossing sli, cpu, psu, mobo, around we forget not everyone is used to the shortcuts.  Big%20Smile

I really appreciate your assistance. It's sort of difficult coming from the outside. I'm getting really excited. I think I'm just going to say *&^$ it and go for the Vanquish level 4. I'm not sure if this is the right place to discuss, but about overclocking... I read one review that indicated that Digital Storm sends you software, etc. that makes it very easy to do this yourself. On the other hand, I see references to Digital Storm overclocking the machine for you.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but it's fun to learn. Thoughts on this?

Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 4:44pm
Actually, DS does overclock the level 3and 4 from the CPU 3.9 ghz Turbo , on the 6600k, to about 4.4 ghz across all 4 cores.

I've never known them to send overclock directions. Not sure about recent months, but they normally want the customer to pay for them to do it. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, they won't warranty it.   That is a decent, moderate and safe overclock.   

I've never done my own overclocking.   It is pretty easy in Bios with a couple of adjustments, like BCLK and vcore.   But, you'd want to do some research to do it right.

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Dec 2015 at 4:45pm
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 4:54pm
So I will need to specify during my order to have them overclock it? As you put it, sounds like it's a relatively safe thing to do. So recommendations on whether to request it? Any idea how much they charge?

I said directions, but the review made it would like some of the included software made it easy to do so perhaps that's what the reviewer was playing around w/.

Edited by Jdot - 26 Dec 2015 at 4:55pm
Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 5:03pm
Nope, you don't have to request the overclock.   If you go to the config they call it CPU Boost.   

The software I think you mean is the motherboards Bios which has settings like base clock, BCLK, multiplier, vcore, etc that make a moderate overclock relatively easy.

With the Vanquish lvl 3 and 4 you'll get a decent overclock, with DS supporting it because they did it.   If you want to read up on it and push the overclock higher, and lots of people love doing it, you'd have to replace the CPU cooler with a better one able to handle the added heat.

Overclocking can be addictive    but caution is the word.
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 5:16pm
Hmm- perhaps I'm being a bit dense, but I don't seem to see the option. When I go to checkout I can view the configuration which in part states,

CPU Boost: Overclock CPU 4.4GHz (Extreme Performance)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory

But- I didn't select that. It seems to be the way it comes? Maybe I didn't make it far enough through the checkout process?
Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 5:26pm
CPU BOOST: overclock is it. Nothing to select because they do it by default.

They do it because the 6600k is a k chip, meaning overcloackable, so its part of the package.

It can get confusing but thats why we're here and DS of course.
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 6:10pm
I may order this damn thing tonight. Thanks again for all your help!
Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:34am
My pleasure.  Big%20Smile

Keep us updated and when you do order, find something to occupy your time or you'll go nuts waiting for updates.  Hahaha
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 5:00pm
Well I did pull the trigger last night. I must say that I did not expect to be so excited. I want it like now! (would be perfect timing w/ my work level at the moment as well) Unfortunately, I assume it will be at least next week. I went w/ the level 4 because why not. Seems like an awesome graphics card.
Josh
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 6:14pm
here's a guide for overclocking Skylake: http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by db188

here's a guide for overclocking Skylake: http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Hey thanks! But... doesn't the CPU come from DS over clocked? (newbie here)
Josh
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 7:01pm
i've always been one to do my own overclocking.  a number of people on these boards have relayed system instability directly related to oc issues.  now, these reported problems are a minority considering the number of systems that DS ships; however, it pays to check other people's work.  i have no way of knowing what amount of effort/testing goes into their oc service as there is no documentation of the process in any of the materials that were supplied to me upon receipt of my system.  for all i know they could be charging for an auto oc and forget it.  proper oc'ing can take an entire weekend to truly dial in with worry-free stability.  YMMV...

the drawbacks of an unstable oc can lead to OS and Data corruption, along with system instability.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by db188

i've always been one to do my own overclocking.  a number of people on these boards have relayed system instability directly related to oc issues.  now, these reported problems are a minority considering the number of systems that DS ships; however, it pays to check other people's work.  i have no way of knowing what amount of effort/testing goes into their oc service as there is no documentation of the process in any of the materials that were supplied to me upon receipt of my system.  for all i know they could be charging for an auto oc and forget it.  proper oc'ing can take an entire weekend to truly dial in with worry-free stability.  YMMV...the drawbacks of an unstable oc can lead to OS and Data corruption, along with system instability.

Yikes- now you have me a little worried. I'll try to learn up a bit. But I probably need to start w/ a beginner guide and then try to check what was done. Learning is half the fun I suppose!
Josh
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 8:32pm
have no fears, Skylake is reportedly a very easy overclocker with an unusually large number of decently binned chips capable of 4.5-4.7GHz on just multiplier and voltage tweaking. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 8:30pm
Goodness... there should be a support group for us who have ordered and are waiting. I want to join the pc gamers so badly! :)
Josh
tfg1955 View Drop Down

Quote tfg1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 7:10am
If you can afford the level 4 I would go with that. If you want the best value for your money go with the level 3. You CANNOT find a better built machine ANYWHERE with the specs and support that come with this machine. I've had my level 3 for alittle over a month now and could not be happier. You name a company that builds custom pcs and see what happens when you chat with them and tell them Digital Storm offers the exact same system for 2 hundred dollars less and see how long the chat lasts. Buy whatever you can afford. You will not be disappointed.
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by tfg1955

If you can afford the level 4 I would go with that. If you want the best value for your money go with the level 3. You CANNOT find a better built machine ANYWHERE with the specs and support that come with this machine. I've had my level 3 for alittle over a month now and could not be happier. You name a company that builds custom pcs and see what happens when you chat with them and tell them Digital Storm offers the exact same system for 2 hundred dollars less and see how long the chat lasts. Buy whatever you can afford. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you. I've done my research, and I'm confident that I've made the right decision. Thanks to people like on this forum. I just get a really good vibe from this company. Now that I've educated myself a bit, you can really tell what value DS offers. Oh- and btw I ordered the level 4 on Sunday already. I am very excited for it to arrive. I probably would have been just as happy w/ the level 3. But the graphics card on the level 4 put it over the edge for me. Thanks again for your reply.
Josh
Lateralus46 View Drop Down

Quote Lateralus46 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 5:41am
I recently ordered the level 2, so I'm there with you on the waiting. It can be brutal! I'm still on stage 7 (been waiting for it to ship for a week or so now). I can't wait to load up a game and play it with high settings and an actually decent framerate
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:36am
I ordered my level 4 last Sunday. I was told that it would take about 5 days before it's shipped and then about 5 days for shipping to the east coast). So far- it still says stage 1. I'm not even sure what these stages mean. The fact that there are 7 or more stages is not encouraging though! I assume stages 2-7 will be very quickly since I expect to have it by Friday... :)
Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:39am
Hi jdot....  If you mean the Vanquish level 4, then last I heard the Vanquish, being pre-built,  do not follow the same 7 stages of build as the custom rigs.  They go from stage 1, payment approved, to stage 7 just before shipping.  

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:44am

Hi jdot....  If you mean the Vanquish level 4, then last I heard the Vanquish, being pre-built,  do not follow the same 7 stages of build as the custom rigs.  They go from stage 1, payment approved, to stage 7 just before shipping.   Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

Helps as in- YES you just made my day. My last post, as you likely detected, had a bit of sarcasm (I was worried I'd be stuck in multiple stage for days). Great to know. Not that I have been yearning for one my entire life, but I've never had a dedicated gaming rig. Today I moved around some stuff in my home office and have her home waiting for her. :)

Josh
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:48am
I know the anxiety of waiting all too well.  CryBig%20Smile

I think this coming Monday the 4th would be the 5 business days before shipping if you ordered on Sunday the 27th.  Gotta back out weekends and Holidays.   

Hang in there. 

Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:54am

I know the anxiety of waiting all too well.  CryBig%20SmileI think this coming Monday the 4th would be the 5 business days before shipping if you ordered on Sunday the 27th.  Gotta back out weekends and Holidays.    Hang in there. 

Yep- I think you're right about the timing. I may contact them about upgrading shipment. :) Seems a little silly to spend the extra money, but if could make the difference of getting it before the weekend, I'd be tempted. Speaking of which, I need to order my mechanical keyboard. I think I've decided on the relatively new Strafe- RGB by Corsair w/ the brown cherry keys. This will be my first mechanical keyboard as well...
Josh
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:41pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS. You got a good video card on that one.Strong
Hope you get it soon. These long weekends create havoc with s&h.
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Congratulations and welcome to DS. You got a good video card on that one.StrongHope you get it soon. These long weekends create havoc with s&h.

Thanks! Yea- I think you can't really find a cheaper system w/ this graphics card. It's impressive. I read that DS originally was using a better processor but a notch down for the graphics card.

I'm very glad to join the community.
Josh
Jdot View Drop Down

Quote Jdot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:54pm
I just learned an hour ago that I'm at stage 7 and it should ship tomorrow or the next day! :) I need to order that keyboard!
Josh
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:13am
Congrats! ...
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 9:02am
Congrats on your new PC.

I would not worry about the OC on your new rig. I am still rocking the OC'd i7 920 I bought 6 years ago this April.   It has never overheated, broke, or given me an issue. I play MMOs and use the PC as most do, and it has been perfect and reliable in that time.

I believe the only upgrades I've added in the 6 years has been GPU changes and an SSD.

While DS employees are only human, I can never say enough about the build quality of my PC and the customer service I've enjoyed over the years.

At this point when I retire the i& 920 CPU i have, I'm framing it and hanging on my trophy wall I have in my basement.

Too many things in this world will give you gray hair, but the DS PC you bought will not be one of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply