FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

P170HMx Bios

Post Date: 2015-07-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Modnar View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Modnar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: P170HMx Bios
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:17pm
I have a P170HMx with BIOS 1.01.10NS1 and KBC/EC Firmware 1.00.09. I am also running an NVIDIA GTX 560M with VBIOS 70.26.29.00.06 dated 4/12/11. Does anyone know if there are any updates? I have been having graphics problems and am trying to work software/firmware updates before I look at replacing the video card (if that is possible).
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm
There are newer drivers available from NVIDIA for your GPU. Go to NVIDIA's driver download page here and select the 500M series notebook driver: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

If that does not resolve your issue, it could be due to other factors since you have an older unit. Try using an air dust can to remove dust from the cooling system under the laptop and on the side vents as well.
Modnar View Drop Down

Quote Modnar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:10pm
Alex,

Thanks. I tried the latest drivers a few weeks ago and backed up to 9.18.13.5286 (there are two since) as that was the most stable for my machine. It is dated in May 2015. The date in my initial post is the video BIOS, not the driver. As for cleaning my machine, I do it very regularly and actually opened up the machine to blow out everything very well a couple times in the last month. It is not an overheating issue as the hottest I have gotten my GPU core has been 62C.

That is why I am wondering if maybe windows updates are starting to conflict with the bios or video bios as my problems are happening daily without stressing the video card (it is not overclocked nor running hot). Unfortunately, I have looked at the AMI site, CLEVO site and Digital Storm site trying to find any bios info with zero luck.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:16pm
I don't think updating the BIOS will fix the issue as you have not made hardware changes that would warrant issues with a BIOS that once was working fine.

It could either be software related (might need a fresh install of Windows) or the issue could be due to bad memory sticks. Try using MemTest86+ on the system to see if it finds bad memory?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:21pm
If you haven't lately, check cpu and gpu temps with HWMONITOR.   
Modnar View Drop Down

Quote Modnar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 6:29pm
OK. I ran MemTest86 and passed with no errors. I run a constant temp monitor on both the CPU and GPU and both run well below max temps (40 to 60 C is normal). I hate the idea of a fresh install of Windows at this point and will consider a late effort. I have also taken out the memory and Graphics card to reseat each. If you have additional ideas, please post. Otherwise, I will wait a few more days before I try a fresh install.
 Post Reply Post Reply