FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PC Config lots of questions

Post Date: 2016-08-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bloxter View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC Config lots of questions
    Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 11:58am
Hi my name is Mark and I am looking to buy a desktop from digital storm. Just here looking for some advice, and I am sure I will have lots of questions to come with this build from other peoples advice. Anyway here we go!

Budget:

$5000

Expectations: Wanting to play on a 4k monitor maybe 2 not sure yet I do want 2 monitors because I do want to stream my games on twitch the 2ed monitor will be for interacting with viewers. I want to have the fastest loads possible and no lag from having multiple programs open example Starcraft 2 Open, Dota 2 Open 30 chrome tabs open, playing a movie, having skype open, chess master open, and who knows I just want to be able to have everything open that I want with no lag. I think this has to do with the amount of ram and speed?

Usage:

Mostly Gaming/Streaming games from Starcraft 2, Dota 2, Farcry 4, World of Warcraft, GT5, Evole, DOOM, Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, Call of Duty, etc... Also for playing movie not sure if I want to do 4k movies yet or not don't know if they have those yet for computers. Also going to maybe use it to pay bills, type of letters, college papers, and thats about it.

Special Needs: Really looking to have a 4k monitor(s) and being able to stream and play games and have no lag what so ever from my computer, my internet is solid 1 gig connection.

Questions: I added this tab before the configuration.

1.) Help me understand ram speed, which is best faster or slower for gaming? and how much ram should I need I am thinking the 32gb is enough but I know the motherboard can handle up to 128gb

2.) I am thinking if I wanna play on 4k monitors I might wanna go with 2 video cards not sure if I need to though the last 5 years it seems 1 video card has done me justice. any thoughts on this would be helpful. Also with streaming should I purchase a capture card to have an amazing stream for my viewers?

3.) The new m.2 ssd is it worth it and if I get 2 of them can I raid them or should I not even bother with raid, I don't know if raiding my hard drives is a good idea or not. I do have mass storage that is an external hard drive that I have all my games on.

4.) Windows 10 Home vs Winidows 10 Pro is there anyreason why I would want to go pro vs home?

Saved Ticket #: Configuration Code: 1462777

Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,874.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1462777

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A II (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Well to whoever looks at this post and helps me I really appreciate it thanks for your time and let the discussion begin.

Edited by Bloxter - 01 Aug 2016 at 12:01pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 4:48pm
Mark, Welcome to the forums. The smart folk will be along shortly to give you the answers you seek.
Sly2518 View Drop Down

Quote Sly2518 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 6:26pm
The Samsung 950 is very fast so yes it's worth it. I would also add a second hard drive, Preferably a 1 TB mechanical one for some extra space also I would change the hardline tubing to flexible since it comes with quick disconnects.   Makes it easier to upgrade parts/ fix if The need arises
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm
Unfortunately due to the way dumb way chrome works, 30 tabs = 30 apps open. So that is a lot combined with the rest of the stuff you mentioned. I would start with a better browser.

Amount of ram allows for more multi-tasking but at some point your cpu is gonna be the limit. I could move you to the old line that has more cores but if you want to do that just keep in mind that will be the old tech/platform. Ram speed makes no difference or very little difference in fps the higher you go in res:

1. Speed of pc and game is a bit different, at 4K you are mainly looking at gpu speed/power.

For gaming all you need is the current 6700K and 16GB of ram and either a single powerful gpu(not out yet) or sli gpu to max out 4k.

2. One gpu will power both monitors for you but to max out 4k with games you gonna want the titan x or sli 1080.

3. Raid is ok but IMHO not needed, it only helps you boot faster mainly and with current ssds like the 950 pro, the boot speed and etc is already very fast, I would just go with the m.2 here.

4. look at the difference and see if you have use for the extras, I use the extras so I always go ultimate or pro.

Here you go Ticket# 1463013 --- $4,603.00 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Hailstorm II Edition

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A II (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA SC ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

This system can handle 4K and max it out in games, I got ride of the lc as its not needed, but if you like we can see what we can work in. Just keep in mind with lc you could look at pump failure, leaks and etc.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Aug 2016 at 6:45pm
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Mark, Welcome to the forums. The smart folk will be along shortly to give you the answers you seek.

Hey thanks man!
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Sly2518

The Samsung 950 is very fast so yes it's worth it. I would also add a second hard drive, Preferably a 1 TB mechanical one for some extra space also I would change the hardline tubing to flexible since it comes with quick disconnects.   Makes it easier to upgrade parts/ fix if The need arises

Hey thanks for the ideas I do have an external hard drive for everything else but I might go with air cool from what dts4m was saying anyway thanks again.
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:06pm
Hey Dst4me thank you so much for your input I didn't think you guys would reply so fast! Sounds like I got everthing figured out one more question for ya, The Air cool that you suggested the Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance) that will keep my cpu cool enough even after overclocking I just wanna make sure I don't have any heat problems and why is it anyone should do lc if air cooled is good enough or is that just what some people want. last but not least the last time I did do sli on my video cards I just had heat problems and one of the cards fried so if I dont go with lc the video cards will be ok? with just the air cool or should I choose a different case with better air flow and to where I could hook up more fans to have a really great case for air flow? thanks again for your help and time I do appreciate it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 8:47pm
noctua is a great aircooler and for stage 1 oc it will do great.

LC is not a necessity unless you want to go high oc, also liquid does exchange heat better then air tho, but in this case its not needed, with lc comes certain things you may have to deal with like pump leaks, bad quick disconnect, leaks, not saying all those are going to happen, I'm saying that when you chose such parts you should also be ready to deal with the problems that come with them should it happen. For example don't get a lc system based on the idea that "nothing will happen to it", instead get an lc system with the idea that "if something goes wrong I'm ready to deal with it" be it changing the parts yourself or sending pc back to ds.

Not sure how you fried your gpu but it must have been done by someone that didn't know what they were doing and I'm pretty sure it was not the heat that killed it, since the system shuts off if the heat gets too high. But either way that is not important, I don't care for oc on gpu myself but the evga cards come factory oced, so they are under warranty with the oc.

for your use I would go 6700K and this case:

Here you go Ticket# 1463090 --- $4,162.00 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (256GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA SC ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

still got everything and saved a ton of money, now take the extra money and wait for the 4k ips 144Hz monitor to come out and rock it out

but if you want more cores then we can go back to the x99, and pick a 8 core or a 10 core cpu if you like.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Aug 2016 at 8:49pm
Grimbrau View Drop Down

Quote Grimbrau Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 9:31pm
Figured I'd just throw some info out there since you seem to be on the fence between z710 and x99.

If you are going to be running SLI 1080s I would definitely recommend going x99 and at least the 6850k. If you're dropping the cash to get 2 1080s you want them to have access to their full 16 PCIe lanes each. With the 6700k you only get 16 lanes total that will get shared between the 2 graphics cards not to mention the m.2 ssd will take a couple. On the other hand the 6850k, 6900k and 6950x all have 40 PCIe lanes, so your graphics cards would have access to 16 lanes each.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 9:33pm
You don't get to use the full x16 lane speed so having a x16 lane is not needed, so that should not be deciding factor, nor will it make a difference in performance.

Personally I would go for the newest architecture/platform vs pci lanes I'm not gonna use. but to each his own

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Aug 2016 at 9:36pm
Bloxter View Drop Down

Quote Bloxter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:58am
hey thank again great info here going to do a little bit more research over the next couple of days and decide what I am going to do thanks again for all the help
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 1:06am
Our pleasure and good luck

You have anymore questions let us know
soulmanim3 View Drop Down

Quote soulmanim3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 5:44am
The Velox is a great looking machine! By staying that much under budget you can fill up your Steam catalog and put a huge HDD in there. Keeping your external for the video archives and whatnot! Never a bad idea to capture in two areas if you plan to edit or archive your videos for posting to a permanent home after the stream is over.
Ordered - 07/02/2016 | Stage 7 - 08/15/2016
Stage 1 - 07/05/2016 | Shipped - 08/16/2016
Stage 2 - 07/11/2016
Stage 3 - 07/11/2016
Stage 4 - 07/26/2016
Stage 5 - 07/26/2016
Stage 6 - 08/04/2016
 Post Reply Post Reply