FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PC maintenance questions

Post Date: 2016-02-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kaykaz View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kaykaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC maintenance questions
    Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:41pm
Hello! I ordered a Vanquish 4 level 3 two weeks ago, and have been excitedly thinking about it all the time... and I have some questions on how to take care of it once it arrives.

I have to confess that I've never been good with maintaining my PCs, but I've only had cheapie ones so I don't feel that bad. :P My main question is about cleaning. How often should I physically clean the inside of the PC? How often should I clear internet cache or use CCleaner? How often should I defrag? (Though I did some searching on the forum, and learned not to defrag an SSD.)

Also, when I was a kid I used to turn off my computer when I was done using it for the day, until my uncle said it was bad for the computer to turn it off and on all the time. Is that true? Since then, I've basically always kept my computer on unless I went on vacation or the weather might cause a power outage. I wonder if that has been a mistake all these years...

And finally, I've always used regular ol' surge protectors... I didn't even know UPS's existed until I was looking around this forum! I went on Amazon to choose one and a few reviews I found said that sometimes a UPS isn't compatible with a power supply, and it won't work. I saw APC recommended on this forum, so I'm going to assume it will be compatible with the power supplies DS uses? If I want to be on the safe side, how do I test that it's working? I read that you can test a UPS by plugging a lamp or something into it and then unplugging the UPS from the wall. But that won't help if the UPS isn't compatible with your power supply, and it seems kind of risky to unplug the UPS when your PC is plugged into it. Ahhh I feel kind of paranoid, but I want to make absolutely sure my PC will be protected for sure!!

Thanks for any advice you can give! :D
(Also... anybody else looking forward to Dark Souls 3!?! I can't even remember the last time I played a PC game on the release date! So excited!!!)
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:19pm
i use ccleaner once a month, i clear my browsing history every night and i dust out my pc once a month using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW its an amazing electric duster

I keep my pc on 24/7 and only turn off when i'm either dusting it or a storm is about to come. Some people turn theirs off, personal preference i suppose.

I also run malwarebytes and superantispyware about once a month

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 23 Feb 2016 at 7:20pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 12:37am
I wholeheartedly agree with ArkansasWoman on everything she's posted above, with one minor exception.

I turn my machine off every time I am done for more than 2 hours. I have disabled all "sleep" and "hibernate" functions because they did not play well with my peripherals.

But, back to AW777's post, that "Metro-Vacuum" she recommends is absolutely worth its weight in gold.
aaronw View Drop Down

Quote aaronw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:12am
Good thing I saw this, how is a SSD maintained other than defray since I see from the topic that's not advisable?
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by aaronw

Good thing I saw this, how is a SSD maintained other than defray since I see from the topic that's not advisable?

Anymore SSDs are taken pretty well care of by Windows itself. In the past you needed to manually run the TRIM command on them, but recent versions of Windows do this automatically on a schedule, or you can disable that and do it manually.

In Windows 10 the OS smart detects the kind of drive and so when you click "Optimize" it either defrags or TRIMs.

See here for more info.

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Snaike

...But, back to AW777's post, that "Metro-Vacuum" she recommends is absolutely worth its weight in gold.

Agreed.  I take that tiny monster to my Krypton and the dust flies out.  It's like Raid for dust.  Just make sure you have those fans held down so they don't spin when you use it, or you'll ruin the bearings.
kaykaz View Drop Down

Quote kaykaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 9:09pm
Thanks for the input everyone! The Metro-Vacuum does look pretty awesome, I'll have to grab one at some point! Good to know turning off the computer or not is up to preference... I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Also, my Vanquish shipped today! Woo!! :D
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 2:57am
Hi kaykaz,

Turning off the computer is not just up to preference. It is good to turn off the computer at least occasionally so the drivers and windows are refreshed.

We turn our computers on every morning and off every night. The components used in computers, especially the CPU, GPU, Power Supplies and monitors are very robust. I doubt that turning them on or off does any measurable damage.

One advantage of turning off every night is the savings in operational cost and power usage. It never made sense to me to run a 300watt to 1000watt computer for 24 hours when you are only using it for 12 hours. Your fans and water pump, if you have one, are running twice as long as they need to.

We all have to do what we are comfortable with.

Frank    

Edited by FrankW - 26 Feb 2016 at 6:13am
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:14am
We turn all the computers off when not using them. They really suck the power up.
Use the Metro Vac. Its fabulous. Dust(time permitting)once a week.
I check the fluid levels on my LC every month.
Learned so much from these forums.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

kaykaz View Drop Down

Quote kaykaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:49pm
Aha, thank you! Good to know that turning on and off every day isn't a bad thing, so maybe I will try and get into that habit. It would be nice to save some electricity, too.

The PC won't get to me until Thursday, and I'm planning to pick up a UPS on Tuesday. Still not sure how I can safely test it to make sure my computer will be protected in a power outage, though! D: Do most people just trust that the UPS will do its job? I might ask DS directly about it if I can't find out here, though I have been trying to not pester them. :D

Edited by kaykaz - 28 Feb 2016 at 3:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply