FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

problems recognizing 2nd video card

Post Date: 2016-05-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: problems recognizing 2nd video card
    Posted: 12 May 2016 at 6:22pm

I've got an Apollo that just arrived yesterday, and everything is working great except for the 2nd video card.

This uses an Asus Maximus VIII Hero mobo, and SLI 2x GTX 980 Ti Strix video cards. The primary, in the x16 slot (one of the 2 gray slots), works just fine. The other card, in the other gray slot, isn't recognized at all.

From reading up on documentation, if 2 graphics cards are used, they should go in the grey PCIe slots (check), and the x16 will downgrade to x8 to match the other. (ie, this config is supported)

BIOS doesn't see the 2nd GPU at all.

When the system is powered on, 2 white lights come on both cards near the power connections. Both cards also have a "strix" logo which lights up and blinks. FWIW, they don't blink at quite the same rate.

The cards look well seated, and power connections are firmly on. I've emailed tech support early today, but haven't heard back yet.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:11am
Are both cards showing in Device Manager and Nvidia Control Panel ? Check the sli bridge is seated correctly, although that doesn't effect the card showing, and check that sli is enabled in Nvidia Control Panel.

Plug monitor into each card to see if they re working, with sli bridge on and off.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 May 2016 at 2:18am
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:32am
I did remove the SLI bridge just to see if that would have an impact, but it did not. And note from my description this is NOT a windows problem of not recognizing the 2nd card. The card isnt even showing up in BIOS.

Originally posted by bprat22

Are both cards showing in Device Manager and Nvidia Control Panel ? Check the sli bridge is seated correctly, although that doesn't effect the card showing, and check that sli is enabled in Nvidia Control Panel.

Plug monitor into each card to see if they re working, with sli bridge on and off.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:54am
I understood that.   Big%20Smile   Just trying to gather info from different sources in case of faulty info from Bios, which isn't likely but ya never know.

I'd swap the cards, putting # 2 in the first slot, etc and see if the card is recognized in the top slot.  Could be a bad card.  If its seen in top slot and the other card is now not seen in 2nd slot, then could be a mobo issue or Bios.   The cards should auto recognize and setup correctly, but is there an adjustment in the Tools menu to select the slots for x8x8 or x16x8? 

wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:01am

The 2nd card isnt seen anywhere. Not BIOS, not the device manager in Windows, and not the nvidia control panel.

Swapping cards was going to be my next test, that I'll have time to do sometime tonight.

From what I gathered reading the mobo docs, the mobo should autoconfigure. x16 if there's only 1 card. and x8/x8 if there's 2 cards. (x16/x16 isnt an option on this mobo). I did peruse the bios options a bit, but there was nothing remotely suggestive of being able to manually choose this.

Could there be a non-GPU bios setting at play here? CPU overclocking or something that causes a timing issue in the PCIe config?

I understood that.   Big%20Smile   Just trying to gather info from different sources in case of faulty info from Bios, which isn't likely but ya never know.I'd swap the cards, putting # 2 in the first slot, etc and see if the card is recognized in the top slot.  Could be a bad card.  If its seen in top slot and the other card is now not seen in 2nd slot, then could be a mobo issue or Bios.   The cards should auto recognize and setup correctly, but is there an adjustment in the Tools menu to select the slots for x8x8 or x16x8? 

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:14am
Not that I'm aware of.   So many different boards and bios's can't really say for certain.   You are right, it should be an auto setup with 2 cards. 

Swapping the cards tonight might help determine a bad card or a mobo issue.  

Plugging the monitor into each card separately will also give an idea if both cards are actually working, regardless of the lights displayed.  

I have seen installing/reinstalling  new drivers using the Clean install fix some oddball issues.   That is a Windows tool and shouldn't effect Bios but  never say never.

A call to DS might be needed if none of my suggestions or your efforts work out.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:32am
A thought..... if your power supply id modular, check the cables at that end.  Or if you have cable sleeves, etc, check where they join.

Another thought, I'm full of them today Hahaha, are you using an SSD in m.2 slot under the 2nd video card.   Again, unlikely, but make sure there isn't any interference. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 May 2016 at 10:36am
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:36am
The power cables for the GPU's look secure on the PSU end, but I haven't actually tried to reseat them. The space is pretty tight, and I think I'd have to unplug everything to get to the GPU power cables.

I forgot to mention, this is a 1000 W PSU, so raw power availability isnt the issue either.

No cable sleeves.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:38am
Yeah, wattage is good for the psu. 

I edited the previous post about m.2. 
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:43am
I do have an SSD, but I dont think its physically near the card. I just had to look up m.2 on wikipedia, so now we're really getting into unfamiliar territory for me :-)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:13pm
Not sure what you have, but it's not the typical free standing SSD box that plugs into a SATA.   The m.2 plugs into a slot on the board and takes advantage of the much higher bandwidth, hence speed, of Pcie over the limited SATA.

Let us know what you find.   Kinda curious.   

Edited by bprat22 - 13 May 2016 at 3:14pm
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:01pm
I removed both cards just now. Put #2 in the #1 slot. Computer booted just fine. Device manager recognized card in slot 1. So its not the card. Put card #1 in the #2 slot. It wasn't recognized.

So its either the mobo, or something power cable related (the cards were swapped, but the power cabling wasn't.)

Or...something I haven't considered.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:12pm
you have power going to that second slot because both strix cards lights lit up while occupying both slots.  while the slot is providing power that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with it.  try both cards in the second (not master) slot and see if they both boot with image fine.  this should rule out a bad mobo pcie slot.

i don't know which mobo you're using but some have the ability to disable individual pcie slots.  make sure this isn't the case, either on the board physically (should see a switch near the pcie slot) or in the bios.  i would also update both video card drivers and go to the mobo vendor's site to update it. 

are you sure this is an "sli capable" mobo (sorry have to ask). 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:28pm
The mobo definitely supports 2 video cards (it says as much inside the BIOS). I don't have the SLI bridge connected at the moment.

I've gone over the BIOS settings again and again, and there's nothing that stands out for enabling the 2nd slot. The manual really seems to imply its automatic detection.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2016 at 2:33am
The Asus Maximis 8 Hero is sli capable and doesn't have the Pcie lane switches to disable slots. My guess is a bad Pcie slot if they both work in #1 slot but neither work in #2 slot, if that's the case.

I would swap the power cables between cards just to make sure. Doubt it's that but gotta cover everything.

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:30am

The Asus Maximis 8 Hero is sli capable and doesn't have the Pcie lane switches to disable slots. My guess is a bad Pcie slot if they both work in #1 slot but neither work in #2 slot, if that's the case.

I would swap the power cables between cards just to make sure. Doubt it's that but gotta cover everything.

If both cards, show up individually when you swap position from whatever PCI slot you have the second card in, into the first one. That's a fairly clear indication that we're having a motherboard problem. In fact to help eliminate the Power Supply, you don't even have to swap cables. Simply take the cables plugged into which card isn't showing up and plug them into the first card and vice versa. But I highly doubt this is a power supply/cabling issue, especially if both cards "light up" white on the power ports and not red.

I'm assuming you're using GPU post within the bios to help identify which cards are showing and at what speed. I'd also have to read the documentation, but I see no reason why it would auto downclock the speed from x16 to x8 to match the other one, as I've seen plenty of sytems where the primary card still runs at 16 and not 8... unless there are three cards or a demand for the lanes to be shared because of more hardware plugged in.

We digress, simply swap out the cards with each other, boot up and check GPU post. If you still only see the one card (in the top spot not in a new spot obviously) on GPU post, you only have a few options.

Contact DS to send it in and get fixed, contact ASUS for troubleshooting and possibly RMA of the motherboard, or RMA the graphics card(s). I'd bet a months wage that it's either the card or mobo... nothing else.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply