FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with July 2011 ODE 3

Post Date: 2013-07-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dench View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dench Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Problems with July 2011 ODE 3
    Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:06am
I ordered one of my rigs back in July 2011. It has been running very strong except in the past 2 months. 1st, here are the specs:

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm ODE Level 3
Exterior Finish: White Exterior Paint Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 Series (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Corsair H70 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

This rig is having two problems.

1: The computer takes inconsistent amounts of time to boot. Sometimes it hits desktop quickly, and other times it hits it 2 mins slower. This is odd, and not something I have seen commonly.
When the computer boots, I have to give it a "warm up" period before I start using it. For instance, if I let it hit desk top, and click chrome and then outlook, thats it, im on a 10 minute time out and the computer just sits there doing nothing, being un responsive and then boom, everything will open all at once when whatever is clogging it up goes away.
I have noticed that windows updates (ones since June) will trash the system. I have had to turn windows update off. If windows updates run, it will basically brick windows as close to dead as possible, and then I will have to image the computer back to a point prior to those updates to get it back to life (and it will still have the warm up problems).

2: Computer freezes up with loud buzzing noise. This typically only happens with video/games (BF3 or guild wars 2). This has been going on for a while. Computer 100% freezes with ear piercing buzzing. Force computer off with power button to restart. I was reading that this could be an overheating problem. The room we play in never exceeds 75º, all the fans look to be working. CPU is factory over clocked, GPU's are stock speed.

also, as a side note, i have tried to flash the bios and update the chipset. I have done this a zillion and one times at work on various dell and HP's, but I cant seem to get either the BIOS or the chipset updates to run. I keep getting messages implying that the patch is the wrong version or incompatible.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:39am
Hi Dench...  For the slow boot, I would download CCleaner and do the Cleaner, Analyze and let it get rid of accumulated junk.  Next go to Tools tab, Startup and disable anything you don't need.  Leave MS stuff alone.  Try reinstalling Chrome or Outlook if those are the main sources of sluggishness.  Try a different browser for awhile.

The freezing/buzzing sounds like a graphic card/driver issue.  First clean the rig of any dust buildup if you suspect it.    Download and run HWMonitor while stressing the ODE and check max temp column.  If it stays low 80's or less, for both cpu cores and gpu's, then the temps are good.  Next try different video drivers.   After that I would try to game with just a single gtx 570 at a time, with the other removed.  Try them both, individually, in the top PCie slot.   You might have a bad 570.

Blow air through the radiator of your H70.  Dust in their will drives cpu temps up. 

Try to disable your cpu overclock by going into Bios, F5 to load defaults and F10 to save and then exit. 

Check all connections to the mobo, cards and drives.

Good Luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Jul 2013 at 8:58am
Dench View Drop Down

Quote Dench Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:15am
I also want to add one more 3rd problem that i forgot to mention. During gaming computer will restart itself.

bprat22, I will do the things you've mentioned and get back with updates. Thanks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:21am
Another thought is your 800w psu.   A psu going bad can freeze/reboot the rig.  By trying one 570 at a time, you'll take load off the power supply.  If both cards work by themselves, then the psu might be failing.   No good way to field test a psu without a psu tester. 

Best of luck and let us know.     A call to DS might be needed.  They do have the expertise and tools to get it done.  Big%20Smile
Dench View Drop Down

Quote Dench Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:17am
heat problems on GPU looks to be confirmed.

SLI 1 maxed out at 89º(C) before I stopped playing (under 10mis normal game play on highest settings). the 2nd 570 maxed out at 86º(C). I have the air conditioner in the room on high so I know it's not ambient room temp causing this problem. I'll take the cards out to make sure the fans on them aren't being blocked. I cleaned the case out recently so I suspect outside of the GPU coolers there are little problems.

CPU temp never went over 73º(C) for the hottest core.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:40am
Yep, cpu has great temp.  The 570's, at 86/89 aren't in danger, yet, but if they climb higher then its an issue.   I think high 90s is when they throttle back or crowbar. 
If the fans are not clogged and reseating them still shows an issue, then download the free msiAfterburner or EVGA Precision and set up a custom fan profile.  Usually a 1 on 1 slope ( 45degree) , meaning 30c at 30% fan speed, 60c at 60% and so on .   The cards will get a little noisier but you might see temps drop.   It might give you more longevity.    

I would still try one card at a time to check the cards and load on psu, but the temps can cause issues also. 

Good luck.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 12:37pm
Sorry to hear, contact our team and we'll help you out!
Dench View Drop Down

Quote Dench Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Alex

Sorry to hear, contact our team and we'll help you out!

I don't remember buying an extended warranty on this.. Is free support still available?

also, as an update I have increased the GPU fan speed to max when it goes over 70 (C) and it hasn't gotten crazy yet with the temperature. I will run some more involved stuff on it tonight to see how hot it gets. Hasn't crashed yet though.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 3:06pm
Free support for life.   

Hope the fan profile fixes it.   
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 4:20pm
Glad to hear the fan profile change may have fixed it.

For reference, you still have lifetime support, just not hardware warranty replacement service directly with us. Your components may still be under manufacturer warranty.
flyinpoons View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote flyinpoons Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 7:41pm
Love, love, love DS and their lifetime support, after dealing with Dell/Alienware it's such a breath of fresh air dealing with a company that cares about their customers.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 7:47pm
Thank you for your kind words.
 Post Reply Post Reply