FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prospective DS customer

Post Date: 2016-04-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: prospective DS customer
    Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 11:11am

I'm looking to buy a new computer within a few months. Mid-July at the latest. How often is the product line and/or prices updated? If nothing is likely to change, then I might as well buy sooner. If things get updated all the time, I'll wait.

Secondly...as I took a look around the DS website and forums I became increasingly convinced that I would, in fact, buy a DS. Then I ran across a series of overwhelmingly negative reviews on yelp, where there were a few very happy customers (mostly all of these were 4-5 years old), and a lot of angry customers (1-2 years old) that received out of the box nonfunctional computers. These customers all quoted the same stress testing assurance that DS is supposed to do; but nonetheless; they all had massive problems. Any insight to what caused these QA issues?

Thanks
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 12:25pm
Yelp isn't a very reliable source to read reviews.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 12:54pm
DS does most of the updates and prices when new hardware is released by the manufacturers.    Rumor is, the new Nvidia Pascal video cards will be released in June. Not sure of their performance but the "older" cards like gtx 970, 980 will probably be stopped in production. Doesn't mean no more Maxwell cards, but they will get less support over time.   Happens every year or so.

As far as negative reviews.... There's not a company out there without a percentage of bad reviews.   Some caused by production issues, many more by shipping and more still caused by new , tested parts failing in the first few days. It happens. I have personally tested a part , it passes with flying colors just to have it fail the next day, much to the customer's dissatisfaction. Nature of the beast.   It is a small percentage.

It's the service after the fact that tells it all.

tfg1955 View Drop Down

Quote tfg1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 1:43pm
Exactly. I personally had a graphics card go bad after about a month or so, and after talking to DS and confirming the problem, I had a new card within days. Thats hard to beat, no matter what anyone says.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:37pm
it's not like DS manufactures the components, so if a part fails it's a manufacturer's QA you really have a beef with...right? 

i own an Aventum 3.  the build quality is awesome!  i love the case (one of the few that was designed in house) with the small exception of its reliance on a particular radiator (1 of the 3 installed) and the inability to swap it out. 

that being said, during the build/stress testing the Asus Deluxe mobo crapped out and it delayed my build slightly.  it happens.  after i picked the pc up and used it for a couple of months i began having issues with the mobo again (same model), which also damaged my cpu.  DS replaced everything extremely expeditiously.  i've never been w/o my pc for more than a week.  i have since moved away from Asus mobos and have a Gigabyte G1 in my rig now. 

my personal opinion of DS as a company is that they (refreshingly) stand behind their service and have a genuine care for customer satisfaction.  of course, the customer has to have "reasonable" expectations in the first place.  they have a wonderful asset in the community manager (Alex).  he's very active on these boards and is the go2guy if you need service.  my only real criticism is their internal/external communications can be a bit chaotic.  these is easily circumvented by emailing Alex directly and using him as the point of contact. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 3:46pm
I’ll be honest, we don’t have that many negative reviews for the scope and scale of our business. A majority of our customers are very happy with our systems. I do advise that certain review sites are breeding ground for upset customers that don’t give a chance for a company to make things right, Yelp is notorious for that.

You have a money back policy, which we start 30 days after you receive the PC. If you have a defective computer that does not work, we will offer you a full refund.

I do advice that you check other more reliable sources:

BBB — We have an A+ rating since 2002 — http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/computers-wholesale-and-manufacturers/digital-storm-in-fremont-ca-301630

- Outside Link Removed - — We have an almost perfect 10/10 with over 1,700 reviews — http://www.- Outside Link Removed -/store/Digital_Storm

Forums — Our community forums are full of happy customers that remain loyal to the brand and help other new customers.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:35pm
that link that Alex posted that was removed is the Reseller site with the word Ratings in it

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 22 Apr 2016 at 4:37pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:50pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:12pm
Alex getting sniped by his own forum. Cool

But in seriousness, I've had very good experiences with DS, and as a general rule I put very little faith in Yelp. This is not to invalidate your concern, it's good to have high expectations from a high-end company such as DS, but Yelp is a bad tool to measure satisfaction based on the way their algorithm handles reviews and the general lack of control over fabricated reviews.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:15am
I, too, was going to offer the 'reseller' site with the word 'ratings, dot com'.

I also find it funny that the system snapped Alex off when he tried.   
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:19pm
It's funny...I ran across that same rating website after I posted. For comparison I tried Dell, Alienware, and a few others. Most of those were 1.0 as compared to DS's 9.8. No comparison
 Post Reply Post Reply