FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

questions about vanquish level 4 liquid cooler

Post Date: 2016-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joseph88772 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: questions about vanquish level 4 liquid cooler
    Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 1:45pm
I read that this component is basically corsair H80 closed loop liquid cooling. Is this safe to use? I've read horror stories of the pump failing and leakage. Granted, maybe the chances of these happening are really rare, and that disgruntled customers are more likely to post a review than happy ones....but I'm a little uneasy.

Do you think I should just go with level 3 vanquish instead with the high performance cooler? Is that still good for keeping my cpu cool. How well is it for handling overclocking if I decide to let digital storm overclock for me?

If the high performance cooler isn't recommended for any overclocking at all would the standard cpu speed of the 6700k be sufficient enough without the extra boost. How necessary is overclocking really?

All in all, I would prefer to get the highest level vanquish if I can, but I'm unsure about the liquid cooling that comes with it. I would love to hear some thoughts from experts or people who have the cooler in their computers.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:46pm
All the "h" series coolers have small pumps in them that can fail.   They are a lot more dependable than years ago, but the risk is still there. I personally don't like them. Chances are you'll get 2 years plus out of them, some for 5 years.   A dice throw.

The air cooler is a lot more reliable, no pump, leaks, etc. but it can only handle a moderate overclock. DS used to have the Noctua air cooler, just as good as liquid, but they dropped it because of its size and shipping problems.

Today's CPU have multi core enhancement that gives all four cores the Turbo boost speed, unlike years ago. The seperate overclocked is a bit higher and consistant, but not a big difference for most. I personally recommend their overclocked, but that's me.   

Hope this helps.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:50pm
If you want the air cooler, then select level 3 Vanquish like you said and change the video card if you need the gtx 1080.

If you're gaming on a 1080p monitor, the gtx 1070 is all you need.

The 6700k has a Turbo of 4.0. And DS will probably oc to 4.4.   Not sure the air cooler will handle that.   You'd have to ask them.

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Nov 2016 at 2:53pm

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by bprat22

All the "h" series coolers have small pumps in them that can fail.   They are a lot more dependable than years ago, but the risk is still there. I personally don't like them. Chances are you'll get 2 years plus out of them, some for 5 years.   A dice throw.

The air cooler is a lot more reliable, no pump, leaks, etc. but it can only handle a moderate overclock. DS used to have the Noctua air cooler, just as good as liquid, but they dropped it because of its size and shipping problems.

Today's CPU have multi core enhancement that gives all four cores the Turbo boost speed, unlike years ago. The seperate overclocked is a bit higher and consistant, but not a big difference for most. I personally recommend their overclocked, but that's me.   

Hope this helps.

When you say that you recommend their overclocked do you mean the Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking option or do you still mean the digital storm overclocking to 4.4 ghz option?

How well is the
Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking compared to what digital storm can do? Will I actually see a huge difference in fps between the two?

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:26pm
When I mention overclocking, I mean the 4.4. It will be faster than Turbo , which is 4.0, and I have found it helps with a few fps on the low end, meaning I didn't find it helped with max fps, but min fps where the jerkiness is seen.   Not a big difference, but it does help.   If you opt out, it's not a game changer. I just think a gaming rig should be overclocked. Old school.

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:37pm

When I mention overclocking, I mean the 4.4. It will be faster than Turbo , which is 4.0, and I have found it helps with a few fps on the low end, meaning I didn't find it helped with max fps, but min fps where the jerkiness is seen.   Not a big difference, but it does help.   If you opt out, it's not a game changer. I just think a gaming rig should be overclocked. Old school.

Oh I see. And is it bad to have digital storm overclock to 4.4 with High Performance Cooler instead of the liquid. Do you think that this is not recommended or will it be fine?

Should I get in touch with them about this? I've never overclocked before so I know very little about all of this. I don't want to shorten the life of my components after all.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm
If it's still the Zalman CNP5x cooler, then tests I've seen it almost matches my Corsair A70 at my 4.4 and which would have no problem. But, not sure what they are still using, so I'd ask them via email or phone.

DS won't overclock anywhere close to shortening your CPU life. They stay conservative for you and them.

Quote Joseph88772 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 4:09pm

If it's still the Zalman CNP5x cooler, then tests I've seen it almost matches my Corsair A70 at my 4.4 and which would have no problem. But, not sure what they are still using, so I'd ask them via email or phone.

DS won't overclock anywhere close to shortening your CPU life. They stay conservative for you and them.

Hey thanks for all the help. I have one last question though and its pretty dumb lol.

When something is overclock is it constantly at a higher state or does it kick in only when needed. For example, when I'm not playing a high demanding game or simply surfing the web is the cpu always working overtime or does it automatically return to standard speeds. In other words, is overclocking dynamic?

I don't want the cpu to always be working harder than it needs to be especially if I'm simply watching youtube videos or playing older games like final fantasy 7 lol.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 4:21pm
It can be set up both ways, but DS sets it to stay low and only kick in when the CPU is under stress. You can use CPU-Z, when you have it, to check the clock speed.

Even if it stays overclocked it still won't shorten the life. But, I get your point.
 Post Reply Post Reply