FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Really worried about the warranty.

Post Date: 2016-02-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
giants84 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Really worried about the warranty.
    Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 6:17pm
I just can't seem to pull the trigger on the system I really want, been going through this for a week now. I know pretty much everyone else has the same type of warranty with you having to pay for shipping after 30/60 days, but it just really worries me that if something goes wrong I will have to pay for shipping all the way to Cali from NYC and possibly be without a pc for a while. I know DS is a great company but parts can fail or be a lemon sometimes, maybe my worrying isn't rational and I'm just crazy lol.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 8:00pm
It depends on if you can do some work yourself really.

For example if they determine that the GPU has failed you could just ship it instead of the whole system.

That would likely work for many other parts like the SSD and HD.

Obviously with some parts it would be much easier to ship out the whole system like replacing the MB might be more than most people would want to mess with.

Of course if they have to troubleshoot the system then you would need to ship it all back in those cases.

It is one of the things you need to decide if you are comfortable dealing with really. Otherwise a,local sourced system might be better assuming you have a good place to buy a local built system.

I have been very happy with my system.

My only problem was when I lost my Seagate HD to a failure and I just installed a new HD myself since I knew it was out of warranty for hardware anyway.

Edited by Ariktu - 12 Feb 2016 at 8:02pm
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 1:55am
Ah let me tell you a story.
Bought my first big system in 2011(the purple cube in my pic below). I was a total noob when it came to a "boutique" builder. In 2012 I spilled ice tea on top of my computer, which was on the floor, and the fans sucked it in and fried my video card.
I called DS as soon as it happened and they told me how to dry it out and try again to see if it worked. Nope fried.
So decided to ship it back to DS to have them replace my card and put some other goodies in it. I Had to pay for shipping and new parts and they would install for free(as long as you upgrade) as I caused the problem. Cool.
FEDEX sucks.

So I got extra goodies and was happy. I learned how to change a SSD later and so many of the wonderful folks on this forum have taught me so much.
In 2013, I think, bought my husband a laptop from DS. Had issues from the start. Called DS and we tried to fix over the phone. Nope. Sent laptop back. Fixed and still works like a charm.
Then I bought a first gen Bolt for hubby. No issues.
And a Vanquish for a friend. No issues.
Ahem and then I bought a Behemoth(2015) laptop. Which is a monster(2xSLI 980Ms). No issues.

My biggest issue and WHY I get DS computers? CUSTOMER SERVICE.
As far as shipping I live in New Orleans. They got my husbands laptop back to him pretty dang quick.

Edited by oldlady RPGer - 13 Feb 2016 at 1:57am
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:55am
Hi RPGer.

You and the forums go way back. You have added some excitement and lots of personality to our little world.   

DS customer service is why I'm still here.   

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:22am
Also, remember, as Alex has stated here on the forums; the failure rate of DS machines is hovering around 1%.

1%

If someone handed you a dollar's worth of pennies, could you blindly reach in and pick out the oldest one without looking?

Yes, you could. But the odds are not good that you would get it.

Silly analogy, I know, but accurate.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 11:31am
I would not be too worried about shipping costs for warranty service, as 90% of all failures would have occurred within the first 60 days.

Our warranty covers all shipping costs within the first 60 days of delivery of our system. ALSO, we no longer charge customers shipping both ways, except one way. Customer pays discounted cost to ship to us, and we pay for return shipping.

At the end, even if you need to send the entire PC back for service, it would not be too big of a deal. Especially when a majority of issues can be resolved remotely by our team.
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:00am
Thanks appreciate it, not worried so much anymore. I do have another question though since it's warranty related, what happens to overclocked cpu/gpu systems, is the warranty not voided? Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:50am
Last I looked, Intel does not cover overclocking damage unless you buy their extended plan, about $30.   DS does warranty the cpu that They overclock for their warranty period.  If you do the overclocking yourself and damage it, DS won't warranty it. 

Video cards is dependent the manufacturer. 
flamchop View Drop Down

Quote flamchop Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 1:29pm
I had to send my Apollo back for warranty repair (replace motherboard, I think), and only had to pay the shipping one way. From Philly to Fremont, CA, was $87. Something like that. Just make sure you save the original box and packaging materials, they'll come in handy in case you ever do have to send it back. I've had decent experience with customer service so far. I shipped the machine to them maybe a week and a half ago, and I just got a notice saying it's on its way back to me, should have it this week. Most issues they will be able to work out over the phone, but for bigger things, like a mobo replacement or something, it's not all that difficult to ship back. I can't say the same, based on many reviews, about some of the other major custom build companies on the web.

When you think about it, if you bought a Dell, or whatever brand, you'd be in the same boat, and I'm not sure you'd only get away with paying a discounted one-way shipping cost with those companies either.

Edited by flamchop - 14 Feb 2016 at 1:32pm
giants84 View Drop Down

Quote giants84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 1:34pm
What motherboard did you need to replace, wondering so I won't buy it lol.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:59pm
even the best of mobos can be lemons.  i had an Asus Z170 Deluxe fail in testing with DS and that's a high end mobo.  it's (same model) replacement is working just fine. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply