Post Date: 2016-05-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
taveston View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote taveston Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Review build
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 11:56am
Please could you review my build and provide feedback - want to use for 4k gaming and video editing and would like a quiet machine

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1421036
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:08pm
I watched a video just last night where Jayz Two Cents shows us how well a single GTX 1080 can do on 4k, while playing Doom with literally everything maxed out. He was averaging between the mid 60's to the mid 70's. Which is absolutely great for 4k. So two 1080's will rock the hell out of that.

The 5960x has actually been proven that it is a beast at video editing, encoding, transcoding, etc.. It's a breeze.

I really like that 950 Pro 512 m.2 SSD. You have more than enough PCI lanes to enjoy it. So be ready for 3Gbps of read and write.

My only thing I would do... and this is for me, I don't know your personal needs, but I probably wouldn't put that 120GB SSD as my third storage, as I would want some type of mass storage, like a nice 4-6TB Western Digital Black. Of course, you might keep all of your work on a NAS or remote storage location that has plenty of storage that mass storage isn't an issue at all for you. Or perhaps you plan on sharing space on that 2TB SSD with games and media.

Out side of that, it's a very beast system that will do everything you want. Might want to get in touch with DS once it's put together to measure the Db output to figure out if it's too loud for what you want and if it is, they have a great Noise Reduction option. It'll quiet the system down with noise dampening stuff, while still optimizing the air flow.

But yea, it's a very solid build that is more than capable for what you need to do, with ease. Just that one hard drive thing. But that's not even an issue, just an opinion
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Meller

I watched a video just last night where Jayz Two Cents shows us how well a single GTX 1080 can do on 4k, while playing Doom with literally everything maxed out. He was averaging between the mid 60's to the mid 70's. Which is absolutely great for 4k. So two 1080's will rock the hell out of that.

i finally got around to watching that vid Meller.  one thing to note that is with the EVGA SC ACX3.0 1080GTX, which is factory overclocked.  according to this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZrGImpdxy0 it looks like the reference 1080 only does 47(min) and 54(max) FPS with Doom maxed at 4K.  since there's nothing custom (other than the cooler) i suppose with proper cooling any reference card can increase clock speeds to match or surpass that EVGA card.  they test a lot of games in that vid so might be worth watching the whole thing.  they also show 1440p results.  

that 1080 is no doubt a beast.  it beats out even 980ti SLI in quite a few games.  how inexcusable is that some modern games can't even do SLI right? 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by db188

Originally posted by Meller

i finally got around to watching that vid Meller.  one thing to note that is with the EVGA SC ACX3.0 1080GTX, which is factory overclocked.  according to this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZrGImpdxy0 it looks like the reference 1080 only does 47(min) and 54(max) FPS with Doom maxed at 4K.  since there's nothing custom (other than the cooler) i suppose with proper cooling any reference card can increase clock speeds to match or surpass that EVGA card.  they test a lot of games in that vid so might be worth watching the whole thing.  they also show 1440p results.   that 1080 is no doubt a beast.  it beats out even 980ti SLI in quite a few games.  how inexcusable is that some modern games can't even do SLI right? 

Planning a new rig in the next 6-9 months and was leaning towards sli this time, but I do hear a lot about sli issues in games. Makes me think a high end single card is less hassle and less expensive. Just upgrade every 2-3 years.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2016 at 1:37pm
Well, most triple AAA titles that have SLI issues are quickly fixed with patches these days. But you are right. A lot of people will end up buying a single Titan instead of like 2x 1080 and save like $300-$400 while still being able to enjoy high settings at high res.

Also, if you want to stream your game play to like twitch or youtube, capture software like OBS or xsplit will capture every other frame in an SLI set up (because they only capture the frames from the first card). So you'd need a capture card to really stream with an sli set up.

But, at the end of the day, the performance is very much there. An SLI set up of 2x 1080 or 2x 1080 Ti's will very much out perform a single titan. It's just up to you. You shouldn't be upgrading your cards if you're doing an SLI set up more than once every 2-3 years either.

It's really personal preference.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply