Post Date: 2017-10-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sabertooth X79 layout question
    Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 6:27am
I can't believe I can't find the answer to the following question online, but I can not find a labeled picture of the layout of this MB.

I was thinking about thinking about installing (or at least determining if it was feasible) to put one of those M2 HD chips into my computer via pcie adapter. I have 2XSLI 780ti on the board and no other cards. I know this M2 will need a pcie slot with 4 lanes of pcie 3.0. When I look at my mt MB is see one pcie slot on the bottom under the GPUs. I just want to know if this is the 3.0/2.0 8x slot. Where can I find a labeled picture of this MB. thx in advance.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:45am
Is this what you are looking for?

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Oct 2017 at 7:46am
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 8:45am
Yes it is.  I spent over 30 minutes searching over multiple sites and links and couldn't find this. It was freaking ridiculous.  Thanks so much
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 10:00am
If you still have it, the mobo manual has diagrams of the mobo and features description and locations.  Just thought I'd throw that in.  Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 7:47pm
Our pleasure you can always refer to your manual if you have it as bp mentioned or find it on asus site.

Good luck
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:49am
I tried to install the 960 pro nvme via pcie card and got the "USB device over current status detected system will shut down in 15 secs" I searched the internet for a solution, but have had extreme difficulty even determining what the error means. Does anyone have any ideas? All the solutions I've found so far don't apply here. As soon as I remove the add on card, the system boots fine.

After the first error, I reseated the card and the system booting normally. I was able to install the 960 pro nvme driver from Asus and although I could see the device in device manager under (I forgot what tab) it didn't show in file manager where my other HDs are. One last thing I noticed was that at this time I observed that my USB keyboard was hanging bad on keystrokes which makes me thing it's something to do with inadequate pcie lanes for the 960 and  everything else.

I removed device and computer is normal again. I'm not going to agonize over it, but it would be nice to understand what's going on and fix it if possible.

.. fixed broken format...

Edited by Snaike - 31 Oct 2017 at 6:20am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:15am
It sounds like a power delivery issue or a shorted usb device, connector.   

Try a different keyboard if you can.  Does the error show when the keyboard is unplugged ?  Same for the mouse or any USB device.  

IF you are using the bottom Pcie slot then make sure the adapter card isn't touching anything or pushing against the bottom row of USB headers, front panel headers, etc.  Make sure you didn't knock loose or bend any connectors on the mobo.

It does happen that a M.2 device doesn't show in Bios or elsewhere.   I think one of the solutions is to go into Bios and select the Pcie slot and configure it differently.  Not sure the settings so see what's available for drop down options for that slot in Bios.

Big%20Smile

Try a different Pcie slot if you can.  

Edited by bprat22 - 31 Oct 2017 at 7:16am
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:14am
The error only occurs when the nvme pcie 3.0 add on card is installed. When removed everything is normal. I only have the mouse and keyboard utilized via usb at this time. I did try to remove them and boot once, with card installed, and got the error.

I'm pretty sure I didn't damage any connectors on the MB since it works when the card is removed. It doesn't seem like an electrical issue.

Like I mentioned the one time it did boot and I was able to install the driver, the keyboard became periodically non-responsive like there was a bottleneck or something.

I was thinking about trying to disable my USB 3.0 ports in bios and try again. Do you think it's possible that this is a resource issue? I do have 2 780 tis sucking up 32 of my 40 pcie lanes. Plus the bios is the original that came with the PC. I can't upgrade for fear of losing my OC.

To be clear I only want to use this as a game drive not for OS. Do you think the disable USB 3.0 route is worth a try?

I just noticed something. The bottom pcie slot is set fro 3.0 x 8x according to the diagram of the MB. Is it possible that bios is forcing this to allocate 8x lanes to slot? I will take your advice and go into bios to see if there are any options for this slot. Do you happen to know what tab in bios to look?

Edited by Alci - 31 Oct 2017 at 8:20am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 8:31am
If you're not using the USB 3 port then disabling it shouldn't help.  Can't hurt to try however.

You have plenty if Pcie lanes, the drive only needing x4.  The mobo will only use what the device requires and not force it, I think.  The x8 slot shouldn't factor in.

I'm thinking either your mobo isn't compatible or you have a bad adapter.    Mixing new tech with old can raise weird issues, but I don't see why using the Pcie slot for SSD can't be done.   You might not get top speed but should work.

My guess is a bad card , or messing with Bios is needed, assuming it can be done.

Never ran into this personally so I'm just throwing some stuff out there.  Hahaha

Check your manual and see what is sacrificed, if anything,  when using the bottom x 8 slot, some mobos taking from another slot.

Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:00am
I did some searching and my MB is supposed to be supported, but not as an OS drive without some additional steps. One thing I read from the Samsung manual was that you need to change the boot order priority to UEFI. I didn't do this since I've not going to boot from it, but maybe it's necessary.

One thing I wish I could solve is the exact definition of the error. It says over current, but nowhere can I confirm if it's a reference to electrical problem or a resource issue. I couldn't even find the answer to this on the Asus website. If they don't know who the hell does? I was thinking about replacing the 780ti SLI with a single 1080 ti card. If I do this I'll try the card in the #2 slot and see what happens.

Thanks for the efforts boss. Unfortunately the problems I encounter, as a rule, don't have easy fixes. :)

Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:47am
Let me ask one more question if you're still browsing the forums.I found one potential cause for the over current error that seems to match what I'm seeing.

"A peripheral is or has been connected that required too much power (eg should be used with an AC adapter or connected to two USB ports on the computer)."

I understand the NVME pcie add on cards should get power from the pcie slot. How do I determine how much my Sabertooth X79 pcie 3.0 x8 slot is providing vs how much is required by an 960 pro?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 11:57am
That’s an excellent question, but I’ve never seen the stats for a mobo listing power draw on each slot, total, usb, etc.   Not sure how to get the info but I’m gonna research it later because I’m curious.    An email to Asus engineering might be the way to go. It does make sense the new card is kicking the mobo in over current. Try remov8ng one of your 780s and see what happens. Or just disconnect the 780s power plugs.

Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:09pm
I have SLI so if I remove say the lower GPU power cable, do I also have to remove the SLI bridge? I haven't done this before.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:15pm
You can leave the bridge on.

Just thinking....the mobo’s, especially the Sabertooth, are good for sli, a sound card and maybe a WiFi card.     I wouldn’t think the adapter card for m.2 draws that much, but not sure.

Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
I wouldn't think so either, but I took a chance on a Chinese one because I was concerned about overheating and it was the only one I found that included a mini fan on the card. Turns out I don't need it since it's directly below the 780 fan. That should keep it cool. Plus the case is a HAF-X.

Edited by Alci - 31 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 12:36pm
HAF-X is a real nice case. Wish DS still used it.    Can’t tell ya how many configs I did on these forums using HAF-X.        Airflow is not an issue.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 1:47pm
Have not messed around with m.2 enough yet, but x79 does not have native support for m.2 if im not mistaken, so you need an adapter and adapters don't do as well as native.

Oh good old haf

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Oct 2017 at 1:48pm
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:15pm
Solved. Disabled the USB 3.0 things in bios. Enabled UEFI boot in (don't know if this was necessary) bios and system immediately booted. Of course there was the hour of frustration trying to get file manager to recognize drive. I don't know why I never remember that a new HD has to have a letter. Once I relearned this the rest was a snap. Random read is 2797 MBs and random write is 2253 MBs. Thx for the assist. It is easier talking through problems like this than going in alone.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm
Disabling USB 3 fixed it ?   Who’d a thunk.      Congrats and thanks for the update.   Your persistence certainly payed off.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 6:33am
So you didn't need an adapter? That is nice

Congratulations great job
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 7:08am
Originally posted by DST4ME

So you didn't need an adapter? That is nice

Congratulations great job

He did use a Pcie adapter card for the M.2.   Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 12:45pm
Congratulations I can't read
 Post Reply Post Reply