FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking Slade 2 Advice

Post Date: 2018-01-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mistpaw View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mistpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Seeking Slade 2 Advice
    Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:01pm
ID 1824128

Budget is ~$3k.  Goal was under $3k, but I'm having trouble shaving the last few bucks off.

Mostly for gaming/browsing the web.  All sorts of games, PUBG is probably the most demanding one I've played recently, but WoW/LoL/etc too. 

So I have 3 sticking points.  First, I went with the Slade because of the aesthetics/sound dampening, but I'm concerned about overheating...is it going to be an issue if I'm using it to game a lot?  Honestly not in love with the Slade, but out of the available cases, it is the most appealing to me.  Also, I went with air over liquid cooling because liquid makes me nervous...Is that ill advised? 

Second issue is RAM.  I'm inclined to go 32 gb because I tend to multi-task a lot while I game, but since it is over $200 more for 32 vs 16, I'm not sure if it is worth it...any advice there?  Is 32 excessive?

And last, HDDs.  Is there some reason the 4 TB HDDs are almost as much as the 6 TB ones?  I really would rather have ~8 TB, 12 seems excessive, but the only 4 TB choices are really expensive.

So those are kind of my big 3 questions, but if anyone sees somewhere else I could downgrade a bit to save money, I'd be open to suggestions there, too.  Like I said at the top, was aiming to keep it under $3k, but kind of failed :P  Thanks!

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz

Motherboard: MSI Z370 SLI PLUS (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong>

Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 G) (Fully Modular)

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>

Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (6TB Seagate / Toshiba) <br><strong></strong>

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks

RAID Config: - No Thanks

RAID Card: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler <br><strong></strong>

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: - No Thanks

Airflow Control: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

LaserMark: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)

Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Office: - No Thanks

Game: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

Branded Gear: - No Thanks

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:20pm
2 things :

A. Decide what is more important, noise or performance

To truly have a quiet system you would need to drop about $1k or more on liquid cooling system for both CPU and GPU and quiet fans.

B. What is the native resolution of your monitor?

Your questions:

1. Refer to A.

2. We can't estimate your use for gaming 8 gigabyte is enough and 16GB seems to be the sweet spot for gaming and multitasking so 32GB is a bit excessive but at the same time we don't know all your apps however I suspect that you will be fine will 16GB.

3. All pc parts are not the same two 750w psu can be very different in performance and quality, same holds true for hdd / ssd. The better the part tge more expensive.

I like to advise you on adding or requesting your own quality hgd brand and models. Personally i don't care for raid specially for storage. Keep them small but manageable so you can back them up, otherwise once a drive goes bad you lose 12gb worth of data.
Mistpaw View Drop Down

Quote Mistpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:01am
Thanks!  Yeah, I know the slade won't be super quiet, but aesthetically the other choices are just...not my style.

I think my monitor is 1280 x 720, that is the recommended resolution on it.  It is old and next on my list to upgrade, though.  Wouldn't upgrade to anything crazy though...probably 1440p.  Although I guess 4k is a possibility, they seem to be getting more affordable. 

Yeah, I think I'll need to email DS and talk storage...I'd much rather have smaller drives too, but it seems like the most any of the cases are going to fit is 3 (with the exception of the Aventum or whatever, but that is way out of my price range).  Wish they still used the Corsair 600T, that is what I got from them last time and I really liked it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 1:27am
Forget super quiet, iwas referring to quiet. No way is your system going to be quite under load, no matter what case you get, you can turn fans diwn but then you will overhead when underload or use noise padding that traps heat. The less airflow /noise the more heat.

Why don't you just use an external usb enclosure that fits 4 hdds or more

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jan 2018 at 1:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply