Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sgorstein View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sgorstein Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade Configuration
    Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:44pm
Budget:
7000-8000, although willing to drive the price up more specifically with fast SSD's for additional fast storage if necessary.

Expectations:
A Kickass fast, reliable machine great for 4k video editing (premiere, after effects), with fast storage, that also is a good gaming rig with support for VR.

Usage:
4K Video Editing, (Premiere, After Effects), Also photoshop, lightroom. Would also like to use for fun as well (gaming, VR)

Special Needs:
Fast storage. USB 3.1, WiFi would be nice but I can always add this externally. Would prefer for machine to be on the quieter side.

Saved Ticket #: 1450577

Hello, My needs for this machine are primarily for 4k video editing, but I would also like gaming support for VR. Currently all my gaming is console gaming (PS4, XBox one). I am making a jump back into the PC world from the mac world. My machine is getting a bit long in the tooth, and i am looking at a fairly large investment that i would need to make for new ssd storage in addition to a new machine purchase, so now seems like a good time to go back to the PC side. The last non mac machine I had was in 2000 (so a while ago) and was a linux box. I was in the market considering a major new mac purchase along with several thousand dollars expended on extra storage when a friend bought me an oculus rift as a present, not realizing that the rift for a mac user is just a paperweight. I suppose I could just sell the rift on eBay and stay on the mac side, but given the amount of money I was ready to spend on new mac products, I think I could make the jump back to the PC side and get a great video editing machine that also allows for good gaming.

The choices are a bit overwhelming, and as cool as some of the other DS machines with hydrolux look, I think that might be a bit much for me, which is why I picked the Slade as a case, because it seemed like it would be the quietest and hold what I needed. But I am open to suggestions).

Here are my questions
1) For my purposes, I am not sure how much extra bang the 6950X is providing over the 6900K or 5960X?
2) Memory. Probably for video editing, photoshop I could actually take advantage of 64gb+, especially if windows supports ramdisk based scratch drives. What is the purpose/use..etc of the faster ram i.E. does spending an extra $100 to get 3000mhz ram as opposed to 2666 really get you anything. Or even more for the 3200mhz corsair ram.
3) Not that I think I need 128gb ram, but if I did one day in the future, am I better off getting the asus x99-e ws motherboard because it supports more ram. I picked the Rampage because it seems to have onboard wifi and have more storage support...etc
4) Storage -- Thoughts on the intel 750 series for my purposes
5 ) Raid -- The $10 raid add on option is that just the charge for software raid striping in windows or is it a hardware change
6) Network -- Specs for the MB say it has onboard 802.11ac wifi, but DS offers wifi cards so just wanted to double check that the MB in my config has onboard wifi.
7) Video, What is the difference between the founders edition NVIDIA 1080 GTX founders edition and the EVGA version.
8) Cooling -- Not sure on your thoughts on how far to push this
9) Overclock -- For my purposes do I really need it, and is it worth it (both processor and graphics)
11) OS Boost -- After reading the forums it seems like most people don't go for this. Why? What system services get disabled.

Thanks so much
-Sam-
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:51pm
@sgorstein welcome

Here is my conflict.

If it was me in your shoes I would wait for the skly lake x 10 to come out in Q2 of 2017.

For video editing and etc you need a multi core cpu, right now that would be something like the 6950x with 10 cores, problem is that cpu is the old architecture from brodwell we have moved to sklylake now and its a great one, its 10 core is the skylake x 10 and it will be a beast.

for your gaming we can go with a 6700K and kick butt up and down the street. but for your video ps and etc it will be inferior to higher cores.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jul 2016 at 12:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply