FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

small overclock

Post Date: 2008-09-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nomec View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nomec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: small overclock
    Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 9:20am

When I bought my DS machine I went with the original stage 3 air cooling solution and they put my QX6850 at 3.33ghz.  The cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.  They upped the multiplier to 10x to get this result.  I hear that upping your FSB gets better results, so I was thinking that maybe I could drop the multiplier back down to 9x and up the FSB a bit.

Would this be dumb to do as DS specifically states they test your machine to find the best overclock for your processor.  I dunno, maybe they were being conservative? 

So if someone can let me know if this would be a good idea I think I would like to do it just to try it out and get a little more performance.
QX6850 @ 3.33ghz
Nvidia 680i A1
4gb pc1066 RAM
2x GTX 275s
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 11:58am

Overclocking is not as simple as "x" is always better than "y". If your machine is trouble free and stable, IMHO however, leave it alone. I have read many times that I would be better off dropping my multiplier to 8x and increasing my FSB. Complete rubbish. I've done it, and seen the result, and watched as performance outside of bandwidth dependent synthetic testing actually dropped.  Tests dependant in some way on FSB bandwidth naturally improve and the people talking about the superiority of their overclocking method point to this as "proof". If you are determined to go for more, I would not do so without an upgrade to that cooler. My guess is DSO wasn't being "conservative" so much as that cooler is simply not up to pushing extreme clocks with a quadcore processor, which is why they offer two other cooling options.

To go higher, and maintain stability, you're probably going to need to push more FSB and core voltage. Be very sure to understand the specs on that CPU before adjusting those values. From everything I have seen, for that generation of chip, on that series of motherboard 3.33 GHz is a pretty high speed on air- especially with a CPU heatsink with only a 92mm fan. Higher clocks are possible, but not common. I've read the posts talking about 3.6GHz Kentsfield on air across many overclocking forums too, and then the dozens of posts asking how the hell that person managed that. This is even more so on the 680i, a motherboard that has never been particularly strong at overclocking quads. Look carefully in the EVGA forums at system specs in sigs, and you'll see no small number of people with overclocks very close to yours, or in most cases, lower when air cooling a Kentsfield processor on a 680i.

I'm trying to think of anything that a QX6850 running at 3.33GHz can't do, and I am drawing a blank. Unless you're gaming on a 17" monitor, you're not going to get more performance while gaming. That's the truth. If you're runnning your games on a 24" monitor or larger, even if you don't enable AA, the process is limited by your GPU, not your CPU. Enabling any AA at all on a 22" screen will put you in a similiar position. People talking about being "CPU bound" in tests like 3DMark, are talking about running that at default resolutions. 1024x768? It is no surprise it's CPU bound at that kind of resolution. Use a paid version of the program, and push the resolutions to something that makes any sort of sense, and you will very quickly see that the application quickly becomes GPU bound, not CPU limited. Lower your OC by changing nothing except that multiplier and see what happens to your framerates at 3 GHz. Don't just take my word for this, test it. Run FRAPS and watch the min framerates during actual gameplay. If you find that there is a dramatic improvement for the games you play between 3GHz and 3.3 Ghz, maybe you should try to improve that CPU clock. If there is no change, you are not going to see any improvement in pushing your CPU to a faster speed. 

Finally, you paid for lifetime support. If you really want to try for a faster clock, call DSO and ask if they can help you with it. Get some expert help involved. They have taken a little bit of a pounding on their OC practices lately, but most overclockers deal with Intel boards and refuse to even look at Nvidia chipsets. That's great if all you are after is CPU speed, but if you want the performance SLI brings, you have to deal with an Nforce based board. DSO has OC'd many thousands of systems with Nvidia motherboards. You're not going to find that level of experience with your setup easily. Make use of it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 1:28pm
The QX6850 is a very hot running processor. If you push it higher, you will need more voltage and the processor will dump too much heat into your system.

I would not recommend pushing it any higher.

Warm Regards,
Alex
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 1:48pm
I have my QX6850 on water and I can't push it any higher than 3.67 without killing stability.  I tried pushing the FSB to 1600 @ 3.67 and it rebooted all the time (this was after testing multipke volts).  I wouldn't mess with it.  You won't really see any gain in performance upping the FSB to 1600 anyway (I didn't for the limited time I was able to play games before a restart).  Plus 3.33 to 3.67 isn't going to make all that much of a difference anyway.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:53pm
MarkNY, what case do you have?
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 4:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply