Temp Control for Mem

Post Date: 2016-05-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Temp Control for Mem
    Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:11am
So, I am currently building my pc, and I ran into this curiosity.
Below is the mem of my choice, and below that is information contained in the description of that mem. I do not see anywhere where I could order or add that product to my build. Reason why? Keeping mem like this cool seems important. Is it included as it mentions?

32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX

Dominator Airflow Platinum LED fan

Dominator Platinum DDR4 modules already have generous overclocking headroom, but to push them to extreme performance levels, you need active cooling. The Dominator Airflow Platinum is designed for quiet operation and optimal cooling efficiency, and it works with Corsair Link for customization and control. It’s included with some Dominator Platinum kits and optional with others.

Edited by Democules - 06 May 2016 at 10:23am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2016 at 2:57pm
The active cooling you see mentioned is an optional bracket with fans mounted to it that clip around the memory stick locking clips. It assumes you don't have an air cooler for the CPU that would interfere with it. Not sure they are included with these sticks but my guess is they are not.   DS would have to confirm.   You can order it from Corsair website.

Most memory sticks with the heat sinks and heat spreader fins to dissipate the heat will take care of themselves if the computer case has adequate airflow.   If you decide to overclock to extremes then the active cooling would be needed.   Few oc their ram to that extent and is probably why DS doesn't stock them. They can't stock everything.   If they do have them, then that's great.

DS will special order and install parts for a fee.

Hope this helps.
Democules View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Democules Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:13pm
Very much Thank You, I also chatted with a rep earlier and learned about the same thing. So, right on.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2016 at 4:19pm
i think they're gimmicky.  if you buy ram at the rated speed you desire than it is capable of that speed w/o needing a fan kit.  plus, if you're on DDR4 ram, the voltage is so low anyway they don't get as hot as, say, DDR2 ram.  people used to oc the crap out of that ram and with the already high voltage running thru it fan kits were needed.  not so now.

also, start adding additional brackets and fans that's just more stuff in the way of the case airflow.  there's also the added noise issue.  you'd have to look at the individual kits, but they sometimes use low quality fans in them which can lead to unwanted buzzing sounds.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply