FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade Help

Post Date: 2016-12-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vortigaunt View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vortigaunt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrade Help
    Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:43am

Asking for help and advice

Trying to extend the life of my rig for a year or so

Here is my build before:

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler

Planning to upgrade the GPU, probably to a 1070, and the memory
Would my processor bottleneck the GPU?

Any suggestions on a replacement RAM as well as a GPU (a GPU that I can run and would fit on the motherboard - I think I can take care of the power requirements of modern GPUs due to my 1050 W Power Supply)

Thanks for the nuggets of wisdom!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 2:45am
Hi vortigaunt.... your rig will take a gtx 1070 upgrade with no problem.   It would be real nice getting rid of those high heat, noisy 570's for a single quieter more efficiency card.   I had a 570.

Your psu is plenty big enough and your 2600k is also good to go. If your CPU is overclocked then even better. I still use my 2500k overclocked to 4.4 with a gtx 970 and it works great.   I also have the A70 cooler.

For ram, the 8 gb is all you still need for gaming.   If you still want to go 16gb, you're better off buying all new sticks so they match.    Your best bet is to go to Crucial website and use their memory Compatability tool to get an idea.   Any good name like Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc will work great. You can use CPUZ, memory tab, to see your ram speed, timings such as 9,9,9,24 and voltage for an idea.

Hope this helps.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:25am
I'd upgrade to 16GB. I average about 8GB of idle usage with Windows 10, and my normally running applications before I run games. At 16GB, nothing is "playing it safe". Things are just running normally. And with prices so cheap... why not.

Yes, you are going to start to experience bottle necking. There are several videos from JayzTwoCents, Linus Tech Tips, and a few other big youtuber's that show 3000 series and older do start bottle necking. Now we are only talking about 5-10% max... But, it just is what it is. You have to realize that come next month, that CPU is turning 6 years old.

Most people build high end pc's to last about 5 years max these days. You've met and exceeded it. Good job. A new GPU will give you a few more years... but I'd say once that GTX 1070 reaches it's end.. it's going to be time to rebuild.

Respectfully, you're computer is old. I'm sorry to be so blunt about it.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:31am
Meller is right, 5 years is the going rate for a CPU upgrade, in general, 2-3 years for video cards.   

I'm stretching my CPU beyond its intended performance and so are you, but it still works until the time comes to plunk down more money.   That time is sneaking up on us.

vortigaunt View Drop Down

Quote vortigaunt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:06pm

Thanks for the reply and advise guys.

Meller - no worries, system is really old - just trying to extend the life of the old nag - which has been very reliable - never failed me for almost 6 years

Would this GPU (1070) and Processor (i7 2600 K)would be able to handle a 4 K display?

I am using a 43 in 4K TV with HDR and Displayport, HDMI as my monitor, very low input lag too

Where do you find the voltage for the memory? Is it the CPU Voltage?   Seems the memory sticks come at 1.5V and 1.35 V

Edited by vortigaunt - 01 Dec 2016 at 10:29pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 12:33am
The GTX is really the super sweet spot for 1440p.

Yes I will do 4K but if you want a truly enjoyable 4K experience I'd look more at the gtx 1080. It does quite well at 4K.

If it were me, I'd buy a gtx 1080. That way I can jump into gaming or whatever at 4K right away. Then I'd save up and probably buy a z270 motherboard and 7700k or 7600k after they came out which will be a few months at least. You'll also need new ram at that point as it'll require ddr4. But the benefit is it's not a massive purchase straight up front.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply