Post Date: 2016-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NeoC View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NeoC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading my Eclipse
    Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 3:26am
Since my Eclipse is about a year and a half old and I'm looking for great performance, my original plan was to upgrade the GPU's GTX 970 to a 1080, the CPU's i5 4690K to a i7 6700K, and swap the 8GB of RAM for 16GB. The problem is -- according to PCPartPicker -- that the set-up won't work unless I also change the motherboard to something like an ASUS Z170M-E D3 and up the PSU from a custom 400 Watt to a
SilverStone 600W SFX.

The problem is that I've never upgraded a PC before, I'd need to gut the entire thing and assemble the new parts, and these parts might not all fit inside the case. So I have a few questions.

1.) Does this upgrade plan work for the Eclipse's case size?

2.) Should I attempt to assemble this myself or send it in?

3.) How long does Digital Storm's upgrading service take, and how much would it cost to take the fastest route?

4.) By this point -- and if there's an option for it -- should I trade in my Eclipse for a newer model?

Thanks in advance.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:07am
What monitor are you gaming on ?   Do you need the upgrade ?

I have a 5 year old 2500k CPU and a 970 that maxes everything I've tried on a 1080 p monitor.

Chances are all you need is a new graphics card and psu to match if you use a 1440p monitor.   Your CPU and 8gb ram is perfectly fine for gaming.

If you want to do all those changes, I'd just get a new Vanquish lvl 3/4. I haven't priced the parts, so really up to you.

If you send it to DS, you pay shipping both ways plus parts. There is no trading in at DS.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Sep 2016 at 5:08am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 2:56pm
I agree your pc is fairly new, only thing you should need an upgrade to would be gpu after 2 years of owning the pc and only because it can't do the job.

Have you upgraded your monitor? why do you feel like you need these upgrades?

changing the mobo means changing cpu/ram, and you need a psu, in short we are pretty much talking about a new pc, but why?

I would upgrade nothing, till something needs upgrading. So if your gpu is giving what you need then keep it till it can't give it to you anymore and you need more power, then upgrade the gpu and psu, that upgrade should keep you happy for another 2-3 years, at which point you are at the 5 to 6 year mark of owing the pc and its time for a new pc.
 Post Reply Post Reply