FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish 4 - Level 4... Liquid Cooling upgrade?

Post Date: 2015-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RajjyPants View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RajjyPants Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish 4 - Level 4... Liquid Cooling upgrade?
    Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 11:46am
First off, I want to say hello! I figured it might be a good idea to sign up here so I can get any questions answered.

So, have a Vanquish 4 - Level 4 which is, sadly, on back order due to the processor being in high demand. I don't think I'll see it sometime until mid September. Anyway, I'm already thinking of potential upgrades I may want down the road, and the one that I keep thinking about is liquid cooling. I've never had a computer with this, and I was wondering if this would be something I could do in this computer model. Is it easy to install yourself, or would it be best to just take it in to some place like Best Buy or something to get it installed there? How's the maintenance on this type of cooling system?

Currently I have standard chassis fans and a High performance cooler with a large fan and copper pipes. Will this be suitable enough? I do enjoy gaming quite a bit and when i game, I usually do for several hours. Hope you all can offer some answers! Thanks in advance!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 11:58am
Hi RajjyPants....   Welcome to the forums.The cooler that comes with the level 4 is adequate unless you plan on overclocking the cpu higher than it is , or, you do want lower temps.   Not sure the temps you'll get with that cooler, but a better cooler might drop temps a bit.   If the temps are within reasonable specs, dropping them more with a better cooler won't necessarily help performance or longevity.   Depends on the temp. If you do want to upgrade, a cooler like the Corsair H100 with its 240mm rad or H80 with 120mm rad would, in my opinion,  be a medium difficulty task depending on your experience.  I believe they come with directions but not 100%.   Pretty straight forward and meant for DIYers'  The sealed , all-in-one units like the H100 are maintenance free.  My suggestion is to get it, stress the heck out of it and see where the temps are using HWmonitor.  Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 04 Sep 2015 at 12:02pm

Quote RajjyPants Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm
Thanks for the reply bp. The processor is gonna be overclocked. Seems like I had no real option to not have it overclocked when we purchased the comp (either that or we were blind and didn't notice that option)... I have zero experience with overclocking, but it kind of scares me. I suppose I'll wait until I get the comp and monitor it to see how it goes. The sealed unit sounds like something I'd want to go for though, if I ever decide on getting something like that.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:33pm
Yeah, it comes with level 1 oc'ing which is safe and stable in most cases.   Mines been overclocked to 4.4 for over 4 years without even a burp.

Check temps and if they're 70's C or less then good to go. 80's is ok but I like lower myself.

Quote RajjyPants Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:40pm
Yeah, I prefer to keep things below 70C if possible. 80 or higher and I worry a little bit. I've managed to keep this old rig below 60 C though after replacing the vid card's fan and with constant dusting.

Anyway. I'm extremely excited about this comp... I know I could downgrade the processor, but I think I'll just be patient and wait for the i7. :)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 1:04pm
if that's the same cpu cooler that comes stock with the V4L4 than it's a cheap ($25) Zalman CNPS5X model air cooler.  a better made low end cooler would be the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 for around the same price.  a high end air cooler like the Noctua D15 will give you the same or better cooling performance with less noise than any of the AIO liquid coolers currently on the market, with the possible exception of the Swiftech H240X, and will last forever compared to a pump-driven water cooler. 

if you really want superior cooling you'd have to go into a custom loop water cooling config (which isn't offered on their "budget builds" pre-configured systems).

some things to consider:  huge tower air coolers like the D15 have been known to have problems with the shipping gods.  they're big and heavy, put a lot of stress on mobos and when handled rough in shipping transit can bang up against the sides of the computer (scratching the plexi on windowed rigs, bending the air cooler fins and supports, cracking mobos, and damaging other components).  it's older brother, the D14, is in my current rig and i've had those exact things happen to me.  if you peruse these boards you'll find similar stories.  i recommend this cooler highly; however, i'd say buy it after and install it yourself. 

all water coolers, even sealed units like AIO's, have the potential for leaks.  it's rare, but it can happen.  they can also have pump failures.  they're also typically more costly then air coolers of the same/comparable performance and are generally louder (unless on a custom loop with a ginormous rad where you can dial down the fans).  despite costing a little less, the D14/D15 beats the H100 both in performance and noise.    

Edited by db188 - 04 Sep 2015 at 1:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply