FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox Build

Post Date: 2015-05-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ST7A Bad Karma View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Build
    Posted: 02 May 2015 at 5:59pm
Greetings. My gaming PC died about 2 years ago and I'm looking to get back into PC gaming. Prior to that I had a ------- system built in 2003. I'm considering going with them again however it appears a lot of the various components they install are whatever they have in stock versus allowing me to select a specific namebrand.

I'm medically retired from the US Military. While I can disassemble and reassemble most light, medium and heavy infantry weapons in the US arsenal in less than a minute, I've never had any instruction or experience tinkering around inside a PC.

It's been years since I've researched the latest and greatest tech as far as PCs and components. Here's my "rough draft" as far as the system I'm interested in having built along with a few questions.

1. What exactly will I gain if i upgrade from 2 Nvidia 960 GPU's to 2 Nvidia 970's. Will I be fine with the 2 960's for the next 5 years or so? If you're going to recommend upgrading to the 970 series, which 970 would you recommend and why?

2. Is my power supply sufficient for all the extra fans and the 2 GPU's I'm wanting on my system? I want total overkill on my powersupply with no room for doubt.

3. As stated, tinkering around inside a PC isn't my thing. Years ago I'd never consider a liquid cooling for a PC. Liquid cooling systems have come a long way since then. All said, I want total overkill again on my system cooling, with minimal hands on required as far as maintaining my liquid cooling system. Suggestions?

4. SSD. I read an article that didn't speak very highly of the Samsung EVO/PRO series. There aren't many alternatives using the configurator. Thoughts?

5. Is the system shipped "ready to play"? Or will I have to spend hours updating drivers along with messing around with the BIOS and other systems that I have no knowledge of how to access or how to make changes. There's a 99% probability if I have to do all of these tasks myself I will screw up my system. Is there an option to pay extra to have my system tweaked so I don't have to mess with the BIOS, drivers, ect? If I have to mess with the BIOS I'll probably take my business elsewhere.

6. Any need for a RAID configuration? If yes, why and which configuration. If no, please explain.

Thanks in advance.

Budget:
$3800-$4000

Expectations:
Gaming at max graphics settings for next 5 years.

Usage:
Home use only. Gaming Only. No need for Word, excel, ect. I will not be using speakers.

Special Needs: compatability high end gaming headphones(surround/directional sound). USB 3.0. Compatability with either or both of these monitors.

!!!*****************************!!!
-LG Electronics WQHD IPS Curved 34-Inch LED-Lit Monitor(34UC97-S) 21:9 format (3440x1440)
or
-LG Electronics UM95 34-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor(34um95) 21:9 format (3440x1440)

!!!*****************************!!!

Build 1: 1191010   $3707.00
Build 2: 1191134   $4073.00

Specifications:

Item 1 --- Digital Storm Velox (Config # 1191134)

$4,073.00

$4,073.00

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V (Intel X99 Chipset)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module)

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: VREG/CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)

Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Competitor named removed.

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 05 May 2015 at 4:49pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2015 at 9:04pm
For number 5 all you will need to do is do the necessary windows updates as there will be some or a lot and if there is a graphics driver update. Everything else will be taken care of.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2015 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

For number 5 all you will need to do is do the necessary windows updates as there will be some or a lot and if there is a graphics driver update. Everything else will be taken care of.

That's great news. I can handle basic video card driver updates and windows updates.

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 02 May 2015 at 9:43pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:24am
While I can't speak to specifics like the smart folk around here, I can take a poke at a few things.

As ArkansasWoman777 points out, the machine leaves DS with only minor updates left to perform... along with your brand of gaming updates and installs. So, this will not be a problem for you.

DS will call you if any tweaks or incompatibilities pop up in your configuration. They won't let a machine out the door that is running at the optimum. They really stress test the machine to make sure everything is where it needs to be. Complete with BIOS OC files and pictures in house of the machine before its sent to you.

They'll have it up and running like a champ before its boxed. You can count on that.

All you have to do is play.

Oh, Welcome to the forums!   
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 2:11am

1: 970 SLI over 960 SLI = better performance and twice the memory. They also overclock better if you go that route (which imo is not needed.)

2: 1050W should be enough if it has the rails to support it. Ask a DS tech or maybe someone here can better say than me.

3: You may have to add coolant once in a while but that is easy.

4: Don't know who that article was by but the Samsung is the best rated and IMO the best. I have 3 computers with Samsung SDD and HDD and haven't had a failure. Three other brands have failed in my computers. I would go with the 850 pro series for 10 year warranty.

5: As stated above there may be windows updates but you can plug it up and go.

6: Unless you want to "mirror" hard drives there is no need for a raid set up. As long as you use a 'back up' to an external drive you are fine.

From there - in your second build, 1191134, you must really like fans. With all the fans it has I don't see a real need for memory fans or the side case fan unless you are doing serious 'high' computing where computations are really stressing the CPU and RAM or you plan on serious overclocking with liquid nitrogen. For a gaming rig - not needed.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 2:17am
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

I had overheating issues in my last rig which is why I'm probably going overboard with fans. I don't want overheating to ever be any issue with any computer I purchase in the future. There's also the fact that I occasionally partake in binge gaming sessions that can last anywhere from 12 to 15 hours. I'm sure running a graphics intensive game for that long can keep the heat levels up there. One question that has come to mind, will I run the potential of causing any problems because I'm running so many fans?

As far as 970 SLI > 960 SLI I realize the 970 will be a performance upgrade and has 4GB on board versus the 960's 2GB. the question is will do I really need the 970's and the extra 2GB? And how much of a leap in performance will I get going from 960SLI to 970 SLI?? On my old system I had a Nvidia 8800 series(can't recall which one). It lasted for years playing everything I wanted to play at max settings and outperformed most if not all of the 9000 series.

Money's not really an issue but unless I can't play any game I want to in the next 5 years or so will I be relatively safe going with the 960. If the 970 is vastly superior to the 960 which 970 would you guys suggest I go with? The 980 SLI or even a single Titan aren't out of the question but what will either really get me for such a huge leap in cost in the long run over 960 SLI or 970 SLI?

Also any thoughts on my selection of processor? Can I get the most out of my system with the 3.3 GHz processor I've listed? Any reason to upgrade to the 3.5?

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 03 May 2015 at 2:57am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 3:05am

Games today are stressing video card limits. I max out my 1 GTX970 both in memory and GPU usage. In the next 5 years maybe a titan won't be enough. The computers on the first rockets into space used 256K ram and now we are fighting for every GB we can get for a gaming computer! I would get the 970s.

The strix edition is considered the best.

The 980s would be about a 15% increase and the titan IMO is just a bunch of memory for what they cost.

3.3Ghz vs 3.5Ghz is not that big of a trade off and you probably would never notice it.

Edited by Pacesetter - 03 May 2015 at 3:06am
Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 3:57am

Looking at the configurtor DS does not offer the 970 ASUS Strix in SLI configuration. Am I missing something?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:04am
Weird that they have the 980 strix but not the 970 strix.

You might call sales and see if it is an option.

The 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (EVGA ACX Cooler Edition would be close.

Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:07am
Well they do have the 970 ASUS Strix, it's just not offered in SLI. Or is that what you meant?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:15am
Looking forward to having you join our team of awesome customers!

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Alex

Looking forward to having you join our team of awesome customers!

Hey thanks! Care to chime in on a few of my questions?

-why is the 970 ASUS Strix not offered as an option for SLI configuration
-is my listed power supply optimal and compatible for my system configuration.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:29am
Originally posted by ST7A Bad Karma

Well they do have the 970 ASUS Strix, it's just not offered in SLI. Or is that what you meant?

Yes. It is available so it should be an option in SLI.

Alex can help in that respect, or the sales team.
Vanquish II Ultimate.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:32am
1. You're right about the ASUS STRIX, I informed the team and we have added it now in replacement of the EVGA card.

2. The PSU seems great.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:48am
Straight from the horse's mouth (as they say) with the changes requested and questions answered (at 0415 on a Sunday, no less!).

Damn, I love DS' Customer Service. You just can't beat it.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Alex

1. You're right about the ASUS STRIX, I informed the team and we have added it now in replacement of the EVGA card.

2. The PSU seems great.

Thank you

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2015 at 4:47pm
Narrowing things down here.   My trigger finger is getting itchy. I went a bit over my self imposed price range.

I'd appreciate brutally honest feedback. ****Keep in mind I'm wanting to be able to use this system with either(or both) of the monitors I listed in my original post at max resolution. ****

Follow up questions:

1. Any reason to go with Windows 8 Pro? I will only be using my system for gaming and perhaps recording gaming clips.

2. Is my power supply ample with room for upgrading to new video cards(which my have higher power req's) a few years down the road

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair HX1050
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: VREG/CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fans
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2015 at 5:13pm
Windows pro version is pointed towards business or video editing/rendering. Not needed for gaming, 8,1 is fine.

The power supply should handle this rig but SLI 980s or titans may need more power. The GTX980 takes 500w and the titan 600w per card, double this for SLI.

You could upgrade the P/S when you upgrade video cards later as opposed to throwing in a 1550W P/S now. The needs could change later or new hardware will probably be out by then.

The build looks good.
I'm jealous. lol

Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:42pm
3rd Draft.

I decided to go all in with two 980 ASUS Strix and upgraded my power supply to the 1200W. I also upgraded my processor to 3.5 GHz. Will the 1200w pwr supply be sufficient? I have no problem upgrading to the 1500W if there's any chance of power issues but I don't want to go that route if it's not needed.

Please give my configuration a thorough scrub.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
NVIDIA SHIELD: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:02pm

I got Velox with two Strix 980s. Not seen it overheat even under heavy overclocked benchtesting

I managed to break top 100 on 3D Mark 2 GPU list with it ( this is before the Titan X came out, I am likely no longer in top 100 :)
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 12:48pm

Sweet build.

I hope you do a review and pics!

Vanquish II Ultimate.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:19pm
I noticed the OP is using a 1200 watt PSU. That's fine, but note I am using an 850 with 2x980. The new GPUs seem more power efficient

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:04am
Last build posted above ordered on 5/11. Stage 3 on 5/14. Apparently the additional chassis mods I wanted to add aren't applicable to my configuration?

Anyway my monitor arrived on Monday. Dell Ultrasharp U3415W 34 inch curved LED widescreen. I realize that monitor can only run @60hz. I wanted a larger monitor. Hope to see widescreens and or 4k monitors that can run at 122 or 144hz in the near future.

My monitor only came with a DP male>> Mini DP male cable. The back of the monitor has both the large and mini DP in ports. The new types of Display Port connectors are new to me. My old rig has the old DP connection with the 2 screws on the connector. I'm wondering if there is any loss in performance with the mini DP connector. Should I order a DP>>>DP cable? Also since I'm running 2 980s in SLI will there only be one display port for both cards to connect to? How will I know which Display port to connect to on my PC?

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 21 May 2015 at 10:23am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:10am
Nice.  Strong

Yeah, the blow hole cutout isn't applicable in Velox. 
John R View Drop Down

Quote John R Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2015 at 5:08pm
Alex posted in another forum that with the advances in cooling technology you don't need to service them for several years, didn't see that adressed.
Thanks for the service !
System sounds awesome Happy Gaming
John
Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:38pm
Thanks for your service! I'm retired 21yrs Active Army myself. Great looking system! You can't go wrong!!   
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset
 Post Reply Post Reply