FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Cooling Question

Post Date: 2017-08-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Water Cooling Question
    Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:31pm
Going to configure a new system. Is water cooling truly maintenance free? If I have this system for 5+ years will i ever have to do anything, add water etc?

Is the H20 stage2 a closed loop cooler?

Edited by Joel - 17 Aug 2017 at 7:45pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:18pm
Stage 2 H2O is a closed (sealed) loop 240mm cooler from Corsair.  it is maintenance free.  life expectancy of the pump is 50,000 hours at 10-degrees C over ambient temp if i'm not mistaken.  so, roughly 5-6 years before pump failure, which i believe puts you past their warranty. 

to put that into perspective, i think all of the DDC and D5 pumps offered by EK have the same lifetime expectancy.  however, not all pumps are created equal and different manufacturers have better or worse reputations for quality.  i have no idea who manufactures the pumps going onto Corsair CLCs.  i believe EK uses well regarded Xylem manufactured pumps. 

in any case, LC pc's aren't maintenance-free.  you still need to clear dust built up in the rads/fans even with CLCs.  leaks are still possible with CLC coolers as well, so regular inspection is advised.  and if a pump goes out you could suffer component damage if you don't catch it right away, especially on overclocked procs and graphics. 

for most folks a good air cooler is all they'll ever need.  however, there are advantages to LC.  you can usually run the fans at lower speeds and still cool as well as a comparable air cooler with less noise.  with an air cooler you'll never need to worry about a pump breaking down or fluid leaking, but you'll still have to look out for fan issues (bearing wearing out, etc.). 

Edited by db188 - 17 Aug 2017 at 8:19pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 3:49am
As db said think about both sides at the end if you are looking for easier to fix and less work then its air cooled system you want but gonna probably want to special order a good air cooler for best performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply