Win 10 driver issue

Post Date: 2015-11-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Win 10 driver issue
    Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:35am
Just checking here as ive looked everywhere for a solution and i see this is a common issue with no fix yet.  I have the DS laptop (Krypton Model) with Win 7 ultimate.  Ive upgraded to 10 but had to go back to 7 due to the keyboard not working. I have tried re-installing dif versions of the hotkey software and still nothing. Anyone have any idea? ive tried the new 8.1 version and even the p177sm-a version which doesnt work.
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:55am
Hey Kernols,

Sager/Clevo have not released Windows 10 keyboard drivers yet.

Unfortunately the only fix we have ATM is either rolling back to an earlier version of Windows or plugging in an external USB keyboard.

Edited by Steven - 30 Nov 2015 at 10:57am
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 11:08am
Thanks for the update..i did see there was nothing available on the website was just confused with some people saying theirs worked with win 10. Ill keep checkin
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Steven

Hey Kernols,

Sager/Clevo have not released Windows 10 keyboard drivers yet.

Unfortunately the only fix we have ATM is either rolling back to an earlier version of Windows or plugging in an external USB keyboard.

Wow, I'm sure glad I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 on my Krypton yet.  That seems to be pretty sad if they haven't made drivers yet for a fairly recent chassis.  Any way your customers can be apprised of when these drivers will become available, Steven?  I do plan to upgrade eventually.

Thanks.
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 3:54pm
I'll make a note here to revisit this thread when I have any more info.

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 12:57pm
Steven,

An additional question: does this problem affect all Kryptons from over the last couple of years, or are there certain ones that don't have the issue?  I believe the Clevo model on mine is the P177SM.  Do all Kryptons use that chassis?
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 2:04pm
That's the one i use and no drivers.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:38pm
Someone else is reporting the same issue.  I think it might be good if Digital Storm directly contacted their Krypton owners to warn them not to upgrade to Win 10.  The only reason I found out was from happening upon this thread, otherwise I'd be in the same situation as you and others.  Not every DS customer is a forum member.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 3:02pm
UPDATE ON THE KEYBOARD ISSUE:

After poring over some other threads elsewhere on the web, I went ahead and upgraded my Krypton to Windows 10 today.  So far through multiple reboots I have not had any failures on the keyboard or touchpad.  All seems well in that arena.  And it's apparently using a Microsoft driver dated from 2006.  At least that's what I find in Device Manager.

However, my Bluetooth, part of the Intel 7260-AC Wireless NIC, will not work.  It says the driver is fine after I upgraded the 7260 with Windows 10 driver, but it gives a failure to power on error message in Device Manager.  Also, the fingerprint reader failed to log me into Windows even though the driver for that was fine as well.  Turns out you have to enable Windows Hello before that functionality becomes available.
ScotchWhisky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Roykirk

UPDATE ON THE KEYBOARD ISSUE:

After poring over some other threads elsewhere on the web, I went ahead and upgraded my Krypton to Windows 10 today.  So far through multiple reboots I have not had any failures on the keyboard or touchpad.  All seems well in that arena.  And it's apparently using a Microsoft driver dated from 2006.  At least that's what I find in Device Manager.

However, my Bluetooth, part of the Intel 7260-AC Wireless NIC, will not work.  It says the driver is fine after I upgraded the 7260 with Windows 10 driver, but it gives a failure to power on error message in Device Manager.  Also, the fingerprint reader failed to log me into Windows even though the driver for that was fine as well.  Turns out you have to enable Windows Hello before that functionality becomes available.

For me, I just upgraded to Windows 10 and have the keyboard freezing issue (there was one Win 8.1 update that also had that issue with me, but was fixed on a future update).  I found that shutting down the touchpad in task manager allows the keyboard to work normally.  Unfortunately, that also disables the touchpad.  I guess that would be fine because I never use it and often I accidentally touch it while typing which messes up what i am writing.  However, I do like all stuff on my laptop to work.

By chance, do you know what Sager chassis model number the Krypton is?  I am curious if they have new drivers for Windows 10 yet.  Mine also appear to use Microsoft drivers from '06.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 11:37am
Pretty sure its the Clevo  P177SM.      

Sager NP 8298.

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Apr 2016 at 11:47am
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 12:10pm
I recently did the upgrade for the 3rd time to check and the keyboard on my laptop does not work at all. I want to say it tried about 2-3 weeks ago. 
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by bprat22

Sager NP 8298.

Yes, this is the model of mine.  Both keyboard and touchpad work in Windows 10 without a hitch after an upgrade from 8.1.  I have no idea why it is not working for other users of the Krypton as I've not had a hiccup since the upgrade and just used both again yesterday.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:14pm
It's always been strange how, with what should be identical laptops or desktops, drivers or upgrades can work great for some and not at all for others. Of course, identical computers do have different files at all levels that make them unique .

Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by kernols

I recently did the upgrade for the 3rd time to check and the keyboard on my laptop does not work at all. I want to say it tried about 2-3 weeks ago. 

If you don't use the touchpad, you can close "Finger Sensing Pad" in the task manager and the keyboard will work fine. The odd thing is that half the time, the sensing pad will be disabled.  The other half, it works as if it was still on even if the light is off.  It's strange. 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScotchWhisky Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Sager NP 8298.

Thanks.  I installed the touchpad drivers they have listed for Windows 10 and it does nothing to help the problem.  Ugh. 
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:25pm
Turns out the Sager 8298 is the Clevo P177SM-A without the illuminated touchpad and is a 15.6" laptop, not 17.3".

If your Krypton has an illuminated touchpad, it's the Clevo P177SM-E, which is a Sager 8295, the 17.3" model.

Drivers for the 8295 are here.  Windows 10 drivers for this model are from March 18 of this year.

Are all DS Kryptons the Model E, or have there been some Kryptons released with the D chassis?  Just trying to figure out why some people have trouble with the keyboards/touchpads and others do not.

Edited by Roykirk - 25 Apr 2016 at 2:24pm
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 7:19pm
So......Yeah, really confused by all this, ill start off by saying its working now..but it wasnt easy.

I was one of the people who would never get the keyboard to work but everything else would be fine.  After i installed Win 10 for the 4th time the keyboard and fingerpad sensor ran fine. -----for 45 mins----

After the 45 mins it all stopped...even after a restart, mouse would move for about 5 sec after screen up at desktop then stop. So i grabbed those drivers and nothing, did them a few times and still got nothing. So i went to the device manager and uninstalled the fingerpad sensor and restarted. LOL now it works....sigh. So strange.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by kernols

...So i went to the device manager and uninstalled the fingerpad sensor and restarted. LOL now it works....sigh. So strange.

Do you mean the fingerprint sensor, the Egis one?  Or the touchpad?  If the former, I had some issues with that today after I tried to upgrade it to the Windows 10 Sager 8295 driver.  I had to downgrade back to the Windows 8.1 driver and then found that it need to be updated, so I used Device Manager to update the driver and it found it on Windows Update and now it's working again.

If the latter, I decided to avoid upgrading that one to the Sager Windows 10 version since it was working as is.  Based on my experiences described below, I'm glad I did.

But glad to hear you got things working.

A word of advice for all Krypton users based on my experiences today trying to upgrade my drivers and software to the Windows 10 ones provided on the Sager page: if it's working as is, don't upgrade.  For example, along with what I mentioned above, I installed the new Hotkey/Control Center software, replacing the version that came on my driver disk. There was no longer a way to change the lighting color on the touchpad that was available in the version I originally had, and the older version on both the Sager and Clevo pages are older than the one on the driver disk that came with the Krypton, and neither of those allowed me to color the touchpad either.

TL;DR: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
stullz View Drop Down

Quote stullz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:42pm
Roykirk and gang... You peeps are my heroes! I have been dealing with major repairs and issues regarding my Krypton for the past nine months (Just got it back monday and Digital Storm didn't even bother to reinstall their own drivers) But seeing this info about getting windows 10 working is a freaking miracle to me. This thread has given me answers to questions I have been asking for months (like what model my chasis was etc...)

THANKYOU!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:32am
   Always good to see others benefitting from the forum help.   A simple thing like the model # does make researching a lot easier.

Thanks for the feedback.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by stullz

Roykirk and gang... You peeps are my heroes! I have been dealing with major repairs and issues regarding my Krypton for the past nine months (Just got it back monday and Digital Storm didn't even bother to reinstall their own drivers) But seeing this info about getting windows 10 working is a freaking miracle to me. This thread has given me answers to questions I have been asking for months (like what model my chasis was etc...)

THANKYOU!

You're welcome.  I'm glad my experiences and blathering have translated into something useful for someone else.  Feels good.

By the way, I copied my driver disk from DS over to my data drive and that's now getting backed up both to my NAS and offsite via my cloud backup service, so I shouldn't lose those even if something happens to the disk.  I'd recommend other Krypton users do the same.  I actually received two disks, but one appears to be a Sager disk, so I didn't bother to back that one up.  I might after I take a look at the contents, but everything I needed was on the Clevo disk.
 Post Reply Post Reply