FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wonky USB inputs

Post Date: 2014-12-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DS2014 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DS2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Wonky USB inputs
    Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 1:15pm
Hey everyone, I have a Level 3 Vanquish 2 and have a continuing problem that I have tried to ignore but finally have given up.

Since the system does not have a wifi card installed, I went and purchased a USB wifi receiver which detects my router. Everything works fine, however multiple times a day, the USB will just stop working and I lose my connection. I typically have to then take the stick from the left USB on the front and move it to the right, it works again for several hours then cuts off and I move it to the other side.

Additionally, if I have a HD or USB drive plugged into one front USB drive, the other one typically does not work at all, i.e., anything you plug into it does not come up.

The USB in the back seems fine, but my computer is against a wall and the wifi stick sticks out about 5 inches, so putting it back there is problematic.

Has anyone else experienced the front USB ports acting up? Is there an bios upgrade or something else I can do to troubleshoot this. It has been a problem since day 1.

Also, I have purchased another USB wifi stick, from another brand, and it too behaves the same way.

Edited by DS2014 - 16 Dec 2014 at 1:17pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 1:56pm
One of the biggest difference between the front USB and the rear, is the rear ports are hardwired to the mobo.   The front ones have a cable that goes from the case's front USB to the mobo.   I would open the left side cover, pc off, and unplug and plug back in the USB cables.   Or try another empty USB port on the motherboard. Check connections behind the front USB port.   

Next, if that doesn't work, is to unplug the rig, remove the 24 pin cable to the right side of mobo and plug it back in. That's where the power for the USB, among other things, comes from.

Good luck.

A call to DS might be needed if it's the mobo itself or drivers needed.
DS2014 View Drop Down

Quote DS2014 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:04pm
Ugh, I am now on to my 3rd USB wifi dongle. Wifi still drops out for no reason...sometimes as frequently as every 25 minutes. I have tried everything suggested and it just drops out.

Hopefully moving forward they will include a simple wifi card on a 1200-1500 dollar system...its 2015 already, people don't use the internal 28.8 modems.
 Post Reply Post Reply