FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

would like feedback on my slade build

Post Date: 2016-04-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wrjohns2 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wrjohns2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: would like feedback on my slade build
    Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:28am
First time DS buyer (and, returning to the PC world after languishing with a 5 year old iMac)

Saved Ticket #: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1405836

Specifications:
Looking for general feedback on this build:
1) do any choices look severely out of whack?

2) I upgraded the power supply to 1000 W based on seeing other 2x SLI builds doing the same, and an online calculator which put me right around 750 W or so

3) Does this have sufficient cooling for modest-decent overclocking?

4) I browsed through the different mobo options, and just dont see how 1 is particularly better than another. Do the more expensive options provide anything substantive?

5) I've got a 4k monitor. Can I get full resolution performance out of it using this setup? It looks like I'll have to use the DisplayPort connection to make this happen, which it looks like all the mobo options support. Do I need to get the optional "ASUS ThunderboltEX II Adapter"? I'm not entirely clear on what this adapter does if the mobo already comes with a displayport connection

Thanks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:56am
That build looks good to me.  Don't see anything I would change, except, with the 400Q case, it has a solid side cover.  Not sure the internal lighting would be useful.

The psu is what you want for sli 980ti. and the H115i will cool the cpu with no trouble.     Sli 980ti is very good for 4K. 

This is the first build I've seen with the Corsair 400Q case.  Strong  My first thought is that it is a closed case made for silence with only a single 140mm front and rear fan.  If they give you a custom 980ti in sli, where the multi fans dump the heat into the case, then I'd double check with DS about the thermal performance. 

The Apollo 760T has better cooling. 

With the H115i cooler, the rad will probably mount under the top, meaning that some of the case's quiet will be removed.  Still a pretty quiet case compared to the others, I would think.

That is a nice looking, quality case, and if thermals hold up, then go for it.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Apr 2016 at 8:02am
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:16am
To go with/add on to what bpratt was saying, if you plan  on OC'ing you graphics cards I wold opt for the ASUS Strix which is only $32 more.  They are easy to overclock and perform quite well.  the down side is I'm not sure how they would work with the cooling in that case since they dump the heat into the case.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:45am
Looks like the Slade 2 400Q case does have room and slots to mount another front fan for better airflow.   That's the way I would go with an sli setup.  Not sure if the fan upgrade does that or maybe just ask DS to add in a fan.  
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:04pm
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/~/media/79801A90BADF497FA11E2540CF154CF9.ashx?w=780

As you can see in this image, the drive cages have been removed from behind the intake fan(s).  by upgrading (adding more) Corsair Air Series Airflow fans (you can get either 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm to fit as intake fans) you'll get quite a bit of positive pressure and airflow which should adequately cool your sli vid cards. 

the case is meant to be used with the top vent cover on.  it is considered a "sealed" case for acoustics.  you should be able to run the fans quite fast and still achieve good acoustics.  its predecessor, the 550D, was capable of this and similarly designed. 

i don't think there is room for push/pull fan config on the rear (exhaust) fan/rad config, due to the limited space and mobo interference.  check with DS if this is a possibility as it would be beneficial, imo.   i would skip putting fans in the top (roof) location, even though it is an option.  you would have to remove the top cover, thus voiding what this case is designed to do.  if acoustics aren't your top priority, and/or thermal performance is, i would suggest using a different case (i.e. the Velox). 

Edited by db188 - 26 Apr 2016 at 3:05pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply